Retain or release

I don’t get this " love in " with Morris all of a sudden? What makes anyone think he will reinvent himself into a hardworking decent footballer? He’s bloody garbage and has been for a number of yrs, seemed the type of guy that just rolls along in the comfort zone, scoring the odd goal here and there! His mom would probably be a better signing, christs sake get rid😩

Have you forgot that we are now in League 2?

If i may proffer that this is just a tad over the top Mazza :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

:joy::joy: maybe slightly, but I still believe there’s a player in there…

There is a player there that could do a job in League 2. However, I’ll stick to my ‘turn a new leaf’ policy and get rid.

Yeah, I’ve always liked him, then gone off him then liked him again. Could never make my mind up. Think we realised though when we got rid of him though what he does actually bring. Not saying we’d have stayed up with him or anything but he brings something and in League Two with some confidence he’ll be fine I think.

Thing is you ask have to be realistic, with our budget there is no guarantee that we can replace with better.

2 Likes

Morris seems to have become a better player for us by not actually playing for us. Weird.

The truth is he was more often than not a bit rubbish. Shows how awful our team was last year that fans would have rather had him in. His one good game in ten would have been a step up from the rest of the teams one good game in 15 I suppose.

3 Likes

But wasn’t Morris our highest scoring midfielder with 5 goals, despite only playing half a season. How many did Ismail get? Or Jarvis, or Edwards, or Dobson etc.? I’d keep him and give him a go in Lg 2.

One of the main reasons we had to hoof it was that Cook didn’t come off his marker to receive the ball to feet. He just stood in the centre of the pitch and invited the long ball to his head. A good target man is mobile and varies his play. His job is to get the ball and act as a link between midfield and attack, bringing others into the game. At times, Cook looked like a pub player. He needs to improve his fitness and mobility for next season.

2 Likes

I think one of the biggest mistakes DK made was to switch to hoofing it. Cook can play in a passing side.

1 Like

I agree @Saddlertd , and that is what I said about his fitness , but we played the game much differently at the start of the season , there was very little hoofball then but he was still scoring goals .

As I stated with DC coming in and having a much higher class of coaching qualifications and with the badges he holds he will be able to get him fitter and more tactically aware .

Who in the squad we have at present is going to score anywhere near the amount of goals Cook has , and if we try to replace him how much would we have to pay , no doubt more than what Bonser would except for Cook .

so hopefully with the coaching he will receive now , think how many goals he may be capable of next season in a lower league .

That’s the point I was trying to get across , but know where you’re coming from .

2 Likes

Yes the sight of a Forest Green reserve signing, certainly did the trick with regards Leahy!

RaW - I saw some stats earlier showing the leading scorers in League 1 last season. Cook was about 9th or 10th with 13 goals but his minutes per goal (240 m/g) compared quite well with the other leading scorers. Perhaps there is hope that with better coaching he can score 20 league goals for us next season.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a fixed date for the release list to be issued?

Kinsella, Edwards, Mussa depending on his efforts in training, haven’t seen enough of him to judge whether he has potential.

The rest are just filler.

That actually leaves us with 4 centre forwards and 4 centre mids. 2 centre halves and a keeper and the spine of the team is there. Then it’s getting the wide players sorted and promoting any youngsters that can do a job.

I believe it has to be issued by. or at least the players notified by the third Saturday in May, which is the 18th this year.

Can’t wait :blush:

I’ve got to be honest I simply don’t understand the sudden desire for us to keep Devlin.

Even if he is only to be used in an attacking role I find it hard to forgive the appalling defensive play he has shown this year. Take a look at the goals in the Oxford game and tell me he is worth keeping.

4 Likes

As much as I like Devlin - he was part of the worst Walsall defence in modern history so we should let go

2 Likes