Retained & Released List - 2022

Yes, Leak had all the makings of an excellent defender, should definitely have kept him.

5 Likes

We will certainly need to be looking at goalkeeper(s), if both Rushworth and Rose have goneā€¦

1 Like

Jimmy coming back ?

Donā€™t turn this serious thread silly!

6 Likes

Fully expect Leak and Rose to go elsewhere and shine.

If you take away the loans returning its hardly a mass clear-out, I expected two or three of the contracted players to be listed. By the time weā€™ve signed a keeper or two there doesnā€™t look like a lot of wriggle room to bring in 3 or 4 quality players, so either the budgetā€™s increasing :rofl: :rofl: or its another season with a squad full of loaneesā€¦in other words rinse and repeat.

3 Likes

We donā€™t though.

5 released and the 4 loanees returned to parent club. Saddler and Ward retired, so we need at least 11. There maybe further announcements relating to players Flynn will consider offers for. In our case this may mean releasing from/paying up contract if they can find a deal.

Oss is an enigma.

Pluses:

• On his day, unplayable.
  • Great physical attributes and great engine.
  • Versatile

Negatives:

• ā€œHis dayā€ occurs roughly twice a season

Personally Iā€™d keep him just for his versatility and the fact Flynn knows how to push the right buttons with him, but any funny business in the negotiations and Iā€™d hold the door open for him.

Iā€™d rather have someone whoā€™s gonna put in regular 7/10s than someone who will put in the occasional 9/10, but the rest of the time 5s and 6s.

5 Likes

Iā€™d keep Osadebe, you need someone who has that classā€¦if only he was more consistent. Thereā€™s a player in there though!

Reckon Holden will ever play again?!

Maybe they are ā€œtalkingā€ to Osadebe because they have expressed a wish to take up the option on his contract but he has suggested he doesnā€™t want to?

1 Like

Osadebe has been well worth his place since Taylor left. On most occasions we have played decently, it has been because he has given us a spark. We can criticise him for not doing it every game but the rest of them almost never do it. Alongside another creative player, like Holden before his injury, in a 3-1-4ā€“2, he would be very effective.

3 Likes

I am not sure, if the club has an option, that means he has signed to accept that option, doesnā€™t it? Maybe they are trying to reduce his wages, which would need negotiationā€¦

Not necessarily. Even with the option in favour of the club, there would certainly be a discussion with the player to say we want to take up that option and how does he feel about that. Thatā€™s just good man management. If he says he doesnā€™t want to, for whatever reason, then weā€™re not going to keep an unhappy player, surely?

Of course, you could be right and we wish to pay him less, but Iā€™d certainly expect him not to sign in those circumstances. As youā€™ve rightly stated, heā€™s a player who can do something a little special and there will be other teams willing to offer him a decent deal, Iā€™m sure.

Edit: note that it doesnā€™t say what the discussions are about. Itā€™s not necessarily about wages, perhaps. Maybe itā€™s about his role in the team, whether Flynn sees him as a regular starter etc. Again, for man management reasons, Iā€™d expect us to discuss those sort of issues with him, to ensure we have a happy player, before we take up the option.

1 Like

No really shocks, gutted about Leek looked half decent never really seen Willis play but the rest fair game. So 11 players needed by my reckoning.

1 Like

Tried to upload an image but it wont allow me anyone know why?

I agree that Leak and Rose appears to be a mistake. Neither have let us down when they played and I had confidence when either came on.

What they would cost to keep compared to potential resale value in future is not comparable in my opinion. Plus they are not just bench warmers you can play them with confidence. Not very forward thinking in my opinion unless there are far superior options ready to sign.

3 Likes

Have you ever thought of starting a fan club? Making out that we only ever play well because of Osedebe is beyond disingenuous. 1 MOTM.

Hope the deal weā€™ve offered him is: get paid when you put a shift in. Should save a fortune.

A few weeks ago when Flynn said ā€œthere were players playing their way out of his plansā€ I imagine a few of those he was talking about are on the retained list simply as they are under contract. I assume heā€™s looking to move on at least 2 or 3 of those under contract if we get any interest in them.

As others have said, surprised heā€™s let Leak go. Did very little wrong and I think he has the potential to make a decent centre back.

When you look at the crap weā€™ve been left with, itā€™s clear why Fullerton was sacked.

Iā€™m struggling to see how we turn this around and itā€™s only May.

1 Like

Iā€™d definitely take top half. Anything better and Flynn needs a statue

1 Like