Retained/Released List Announced

I don’t remember him going in goal, wouldn’t surprise me though, as you say he could do almost everything else, and do it well. Going in goal was another string to Marshy’s bow of course.

I certainly agree james Clarke cannot be our right back option or cover. He hasn’t got the legs and not enough of a footballer which a full back has to be these days. Fine at centre back but even on occasions then he looked a bit off pace and got caught out which you don’t want for your leader centre back. Would be okay on the right of a 3 at the back.
With facey gone we need another right back.

4 Likes

Definitely happened! No idea what game but Jimmy got sent off for handling outside the box and Marshy stepped up.

1 Like

Northampton away wasnt it when Marsh went in goal?

Sorry, I was replying to the Allinh post about Colin Harrison going in goal. Marshy went in against Barnsley (that was the handball), Northampton (after an assault by John Gayle) and I think one other I can’t bring to mind.

2 Likes

Ah ok!

I was there. I think Chris Freestone got a hat-trick and we lost 3-1 or 3-2 from memory. Sixfields was an upgrade on their old ground. I was there when we lost 5-0 at the cricket pitch on a Friday night - it was featured on Saint and Greavsie on the Saturday lunchtime. It was in the days of Charlie Ntamark (who forgot his boots and had to borrow Richard Knight’s). Only at Walsall, eh? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah pretty sure it was Northampton Marshy went in goal. Actually think Walker was concussed if I remember right after bad tackle by John Gayle. Sure Viveash spent most the second half trying to exact revenge on Gayle by booting him up in the air every chance he got!

2 Likes

I was at that too. Awful. Also saw us surrender a two goal lead at the cricket ground one new years day. Peter Hart tried to let the ball run out and got caught for one of them.

1 Like

Viveash was one of my favourite players. We’ve had some great centre-halves over the years, haven’t we? I have high hopes for the young lad, Tom Leak. I also think that Matt Sadler could become an excellent coach. His legs are beginning to go and apart from the ‘basketball moment’ at Oldham, he’s always conducted himself really well. He’s definitely a talker and I think that he could really help get the defence more organised. Keates’s downfall was the inability of Russell Martin to do the job he was brought in to achieve. I honestly thought we were going to get someone like Paul Ritchie; we ended up getting Shane Richie…

On a separate note, Wikipedia says that Paul Ritchie is associated with the Youth setup at LA Galaxy now. Maybe we could get the next Landon Donovan at the Banks’s…

3 Likes

Jimmy might have been concussed from the boot in the head, but I thought he went off because they couldn’t stop the bleeding. Maybe it was a bit of both. Offhand I can’t think of a longer injury hold-up at a match I’ve attended, must have been 10 or 12 minutes. Gayle should have been sent off, diabolical foul.

1 Like

Back to the retained list. . . . In the current climate I’m not expecting more than 2 permanent signings, the rest will be loans.

1 Like

I was at the 5-0 Friday night game as well. Could have been even worse.I think they missed a penalty a couple of minutes before halftime (Bobby Barnes I think).I seem to remember it throwing it down with rain on the drive there and back. Luckily the rain kept off during the game as it was an open terrace.

4 Likes

Away at Brighton in whatever the Mickey Mouse Trophy was known as at the time. Again, replacing Windy Gayle after he was sent off.

2 Likes

Is that the game where Kelly got two and then had a disallowed one for handling?

I see LP forecasting between 5 and 7 players coming in as well as the 18 either on contract or offered one. If that happens and they are quality additions to the squad we should be in great position. September 12th pencilled in for start of season as well…so only 3 months to go!!!

1 Like

“We are going up say we are going up” :shushing_face: to be honest if we can start the new season as we were finishing the last i have high hopes of the squad we still have, and as said with a few quality additions :smiley:

1 Like

Some banging weekends in there too IF fans get back

Tranmere, Bolton, Southend, Salford again…

SOme nice weekends away on the sauce :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yep :+1: @RedandWhite will be along in a minute to arrange it :rofl:

1 Like

Can’t wait to start back the same as everyone on here , if we don’t take between a 1000 and 2000 to away games after all this ■■■■ i’ll be very disappointed .

Yes and look forward to everyone meeting up for a good old drink together .

Red army Red army … can’t wait

9 Likes