Retained/Released List Announced

The best thing about this list is that there’s no mass exodus. It’s the first time that we’ve had the core of a squad in place since Dean Smiths final season. The only way we are going to move forward is with a settled squad and the way that other clubs have been forced to release large numbers can only be an advantage to us

5 Likes

Not fussed about any of those that have gone to be honest other than sadness for Kory and the awful time he’s had with injuries. I wouldn’t have offered Guthrie another deal either, didn’t see the supposed quality often enough in my opinion and he’s rarely fully fit.

Holden for another year would be nice , provided he’s played centrally but probably won’t happen.

1 Like

The list is about what I expected.
I feel desperately for Kory, good player. I hope another club picks him up.
Hardy must have fallen out with DC, it certainly wasn’t his form that kept him out of the side.
Pring showed early promise but faded as the season closed. I would like to bring Holden back if possible.
I thought Facey was a decent player, not too bothered he left.
I personally would have released Guthrie, far too slow and not fit enough for this league.
DC see’s something in him so I’ll trust his judgment for now.

As fans have mentioned in previous posts, we don’t need a lot of players, I hope we bring in more quality than quantity this season.

1 Like

This is a post I made on a general L2 forum but since I’m lazy I’m just going to put it here rather than rewrite it for this site :joy: So if the wording is a little questionable it’s because it’s meant for fans of other clubs.

So our released players:

Gary Liddle - Was very poor both in midfield and defence during the first half of the season and also had a poor relationship with the fans - he subsequently was loaned out to Hartlepool where he remained all season. Expect him to end up back there.

Kory Roberts - Such a shame, I personally would have kept him. Young defender who came through our system and looked like he would be the next big player through our academy until he had a double leg break 2 years ago in a pre-season friendly with Stoke. Had a long year out and last season he hardly played - think the injury really ruined him. I really hope he ends up somewhere that will give him time as he could still be a very, very good player. Composed and very quick central defender who can also play full back. Good luck to him.

James Hardy - Joined last season on a free from Fylde, actually played quite well IMO first few games but fell out of favour with DC quickly and was hardly seen again. Very strange one and from the outside it looks like they had a falling out, good little player though. Could do a job here in L2 for a bottom half team. Better through the middle than out wide.

Shay Facey - The only real surprising release, was our first choice right back most of the season and was a tidy little player. We do have cover in his position though with Cameron Norman who is a very steady if not spectacular player and DC’s lovechild and namesake James Clarke - so I imagine he was cut as a cost cutting measure rather than for his ability. Wish him well.

Mitch Candlin - Bizzare player. Was promoted to the first team when he was 16 by Jon Whitney a couple seasons ago when none of our strikers could hit a barn door, he played okay but didn’t score at all. When Whitney was sacked Mitch was sent out on loan upwards to Bolton with a view to buy, but in January they opted not to and he returned. He has hardly been seen since and has been very anonymous both in reserve games and when out on loan. Very much the correct decision to release him.

Loanees - Would love to get both Cam Pring and Rory Holden back from Bristol for next season, either permanently or on loan again. Pring was very good all season when fit and Rory was starting to come into his own in the last couple of months of the season with some fantastic performances through the middle. Jack Rose might be kept on if he is released by Southampton as he is a local lad and I am fairly certain this loan move was always with a view to make it permanent at the end of his contract - wouldn’t say no to that. Sheron played a couple games and looked OK at best but didn’t have too much time to bed in.

Extensions - Extremely delighted to keep Elijah Adebayo for another season, he looked like a right donkey through most of the season but he really started to find himself the last few months and added goals to his game. Season ended right at the wrong time for him as he looked like he would get 15+ even after a poor first half of the season. Hopefully he can keep that going next season even after the long lay-off.

Happy to see Mat Sadler in a player/coach role, suits him, he’s one of those players who seemed to act and talk like a coach before coming one so a fantastic move. Very solid as a centre half too even at 35.

Also an extension for Alfie Bates is the least that he deserves, the lad was absolutely fantastic last season considering it was his first as a professional. I am surprised we haven’t offered him a long term deal to tie him down but I suspect that may be because DC and his coaches want to keep him motivated and not get complacent in his development.

Offered - I hope very much that CCM accepts his new deal, another player from our academy who has been around for a few years but last season was by far his best. Had a very solid run in the side which coincided with our form picking up until picking up an injury. Very solid young LB and I hope he is first choice next season if we cannot get Cameron Pring back. Tom Leak was a first year pro CB last season who by all accounts did very well both in the reserve team and out on loan, I hope and imagine both him and CCM stays and I would be very pleased with that.

Danny Guthrie is the one that fans are split on a bit. Clearly he is class above this league in terms of his ability - it’s just his fitness has been a major issue all season. Been a sick note. When he has played he brings an effortless class to the midfield but him playing has been few and far between. I think a lot of fans would have cut him loose for someone who is more reliable but DC must clearly believe he will be much fitter next season after a full season and pre-season at the club. No issues with him as a player though so I would be pleased to see him stay.

Transfers - I would say we are in a health position for next season with only 2 or 3 players needed to come in full time. A back up GK, an attacking midfielder (to replace Rory Holden) and a winger. In normal circumstances I would also like a LB, CB, CM and another striker but as squads will be trimmed down next season for all teams, that is all I would really want/expect.

8 Likes

I think we will see Jack Rose back permanently, and think we will enquire about Holden at least on loan again.

4 Likes

Indeed, they know the manager, his methods and training and seem to be a settled and content camp which should not be underestimated as a real positive . fingers crossed this is a good foundation to build on.

1 Like

Really good write up. One small correction here (just to be an annoyance), this loan was to Blackburn not Bolton.

2 Likes

I dont feel like we’ll need another fullback.

I suppose it depends on whether we play James Clarke as a full back or centre half.

About what I thought it’d be - happy with the core of the squad, just need a couple quality signings

I expect we’ll play Clarke at full back so would say defence is sorted, just need to add one more centre half for cover to replace K.Roberts

If Guthrie signs then I’d say we only need one more in midfield too but would have to be someone with quality going forward

Up front, again pretty much sorted - stick Gordon on the right who was getting goals from there and works his socks off, put McDonald on the left and get someone young from the National League who’s been banging goals in (there’s plenty of them) - Adebayo and Lavery for cover/rotation

All realistic signings if LP is right and we have come out of this alright and ones I think that could make us challenge next season

1 Like

Do people still think James Clarke will cut it?

I still think he was massively off the pace last season…

I thought he was OK, more or less, at centre back. Scored a couple of bosters early on, which gave him a bit of a honeymoon period. I’d be happy with him as the third choice centre back in our squad.
I didn’t rate him as a full back.

6 Likes

I also thought he was cack when he played at full back.

2 Likes

Clarke was signed with a back 3 in mind, I think he’s a solid enough player who had a big dip in form. Along with the other 20 odd players…

I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole for RB , and I also I think Norman’s a better player than people give him credit for.

6 Likes

Jack Rose is 25, made Just 12 professional appearances. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up here again one day. He did a decent job when asked.

1 Like

Sinclair and Clarke are disciples of the manager. I think DC is actually a bit grateful they both were happy to drop down a league and help him out here as I imagine both could’ve easily stayed as squad players at Bristol on a similar wage.

I didn’t think either were that bad from the few games I saw last season (Scarr made just as many errors as Clarke and he was seen as having a solid season overall).

Interesting how the central midfield will shape up. If fit Guthrie-Sinclair would’ve been first choice but both missed large chunks through injury and the results went south. If it’s a three I’d put Bates in ahead of Kinsella, more of a goal threat and breaking into the box.

Ideally you’d sign a more advanced midfield anyway which was the idea with Hardy but he barely played.

Front 3 of Gordon- Adebayo-McDonald seems decent given how they were all playing for last two months of the season.

2 Likes

Hes deffo not a RB we all agree there

But most the times i saw him i only saw him struggle or push and pull players a lot, just my opinion obviously Him and Saddler have deffo improved Scarr .

3 Likes

I’d like to see another full-back: someone who could play both right and left - but there aren’t many of those around unfortunately.

In the 70s we had Roger Fry, Colin Harrison and Brian Caswell who all had spells on either flank and did well. Since then we’ve had Chrissie Marsh who could do both jobs. Any others?
Sadly all those I’ve mentioned are a bit too old.

3 Likes

Oh for a Colin Harrison. He played just about everywhere. Think he even replaced an injured goalkeeper once. Anyone remember who and when?

1 Like

Think Chris Marsh played in every position too, including in goal

1 Like