Rico Henry Sell On Clause

Be brushed under the carpet, just like the money we received for Rico making 100 apps earlier this season…

2 Likes

Answers from the club on this at next fans forum

• Yes there was

• We aren’t allowed to say as the deal was to keep details undisclosed and releasing any detail could harm negotiation in the market.

• Split between infrastructure, Covid recovery and helping Matt.

• All stakeholders continue to be very supportive and this money shouldn’t change that.

13 Likes

All very exciting until you realise 10% will go to the playing budget.

2 Likes

This is potentially some seriously serious money. Please Walsall don’t balls this up!
I know we will never know how much but surely Walsall can admit it’s something good?

1 Like

Getting them to admit ANYTHING would be a bonus

1 Like

I would hope that a decent percentage of any sum that we “might” get from Brentford’s promotion today would go towards the freehold fund…

Yeah it can still be explained away with the “sensitivity and commerically harmful” line that regularly gets peddled at the forums.

I’m not sure this will be quite the game changer people are expecting.

In summer 2013 Grigg and Paterson left for over a million combined and Smith still was left with just loans and free transfers.

Then summer 2015 club had just made a fair amount from the cup run (probably not far off what has been made for Rico this summer) and DS had his budget cut!

Different man in charge now but not like the overall strategy has been that much different in last two seasons.

Think I’d just be happy not relying on youth and free loans this season. Template should be Cheltenham imo. Signed 2-3 proven players from league one over last 18 months and got in a couple of good loans from likes of West Brom so you integrate that with 5-6 still here and that should make a half decent fourth division team that can grow over next two years.

Real game changer is Rico eventually moving on for 15-20m and I look forward to the club’s creative excuses for that when the budget is still miniscule.

Just to recap though…since January two first team players have been sold, unexpected compo came in for a manager who was six months off being sacked and now generous outside income for ex player so this hasn’t happened for a long while even if the new managerial structure has probably cost a bit to set up.

4 Likes

This. If Taylor is given enough additional budget to invest in a solid spine it’s worthwhile.

1 Like

Can see Covid being the new ITV digital, as in it will be peddled as an excuse for money disappearing for the next 10 years.

4 Likes

We’ll not see a penny. It will probably disappear into the ether as is always the way.

3 Likes

Surely this is a chance for the chairman to rebuild some bridges with the fans , all he needs to do is tell us yes we’re going to receive a payment and yes it will be used to help the club move forward.or not , simples , we shall see.
Can one of the supporters groups not ask a direct question ?

4 Likes

I’m obviously pleased that Brentford have got promotion because of the Rico windfall. However, isn’t it also nice to see a community style club, with a clear transfer policy and an ethos to play attacking football succeed? Add to that the sensible attitude of the fans who don’t complain when a star player is developed and sold on, because they understand the economics and they know another will be on the way soon.
I think they will undoubtedly struggle next year, but for me this is the most popular newcomer to ever join the PL.

17 Likes

It shows with sensible investment it can be done rather than chucking good money after bad for instance Derby Forrest etc

3 Likes

Have we signed anyone yet?

1 Like

Was never expecting any signings until at least Tuesday anyway as most player contracts run until at least 31st May. Not sure how soon after that we might announce one though …

Instead of Cheltenham read Mansfield who have probably invested more and you see it’s all a game of chance.

1 Like

Yes, a bit later, player contracts usually expire on 30th June, effectively two months’ notice for players being released. Nothing stopping them signing with a new club though. I don’t know what the situation in the national league is, their play offs aren’t finished until June 20th.

Agree with that. For most of my football following years Brentford have been at our level. Similar sized crowds, similar capacity ground, smaller club surrounded by larger neighbours and for the most part plying their trade in the 3rd tier.

The fact they’ve kicked on and consistently done well at Championship level and now got promotion to the top flight is great to see. Timed to perfection with their new stadium too.

I’m happy for them and for 3 of my mates who are Bees fans. If nothing else it gives a slither of hope to clubs like ours that it can still be done.

7 Likes

They are welcome to it mate, I wouldn’t thank you for the Premier League. Obviously I’d rather not be in the mess we are in now, but I’ll stick to 3 O’Clock on a Saturday afternoon complaining about ■■■■ on the toilet floor :grinning:

5 Likes

I’m with you pal.

I’d like one season there just to knock over seeing us play at some of the biggest grounds. But once and done for me. 8pm kick off on Monday at Southampton paying £50 for the privilege. Nah.