Romaine Sawyers 1

To be honest I for one along with many others certainly recognised his quality while he was here .

He wasn’t lazy or uninterested. He was simply a level above.

15 Likes

Spot on!

1 Like

Problem last season is talented young players from local teams like Ronan and Corey Blackett Taylor weren’t played much and were derided as not good enough by fanbase/management so guess those clubs won’t be so willing to loan out.

Ronan’s career has stalled but CBT seems to be doing o.k for himself at Tranmere.

As much as I thought Sawyers was a class act when playing for us, he’s gone, ffs he’s yesterday’s news, I wish him well, but likewise couldn’t give a ■■■■ if he nosedives, let’s move on from this my girlfriends left me feeling.

That’s the nature of loans though. Loaning teams expect their players to go away to the hinterlnd of lower grade football and come back 1000% better and ready for the next big step up. That’s what we’ll be expecting of Candlin and Little but its a risky business. Take Elias Sorensen at Newcastle, the supposed next big thing, couldn’t get a game at Blackpool last season and now getting splinters at Carlisle. Its very much a two way street, because the lower clubs also have their agenda for success, manager who’s job might be on the line etc etc. Just because a particular player doesn’t get game time should never count against the loaning club in my opinion because its all about results at all levels. When it does work out however you can end up with another Harry Kane, Sean Longstaff, or Jordan Pickford. Its just a balancing act that all levels of the process should be mindfull of.

Just ignore the thread

2 Likes

Andy Cook though, he deserved all he got.

Be a boring board if we can’t speak about any player that’s ever left us, especially the good ones.

1 Like

He was booed and jeered by a small minority in a few games when he wasn’t contributing much. It was hardly an orchestrated campaign. He did have a tendency to disappear in the really big games such as Wembley and both play-off games…but on his day he was class.

1 Like

A small minority of complete morons ,

1 Like

one of the best CM’s well see in our colour’s in most of our life times…

Controlled games with ease and too think he was only really a kid…

Amazing talent.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct especially considering he was lazy and disinterested !!!

There’s a narrative that we (as Walsall fans) have more or less written ourselves which goes “Romaine Sawyers - Walsall fans didn’t really rate him - which is bizarre”.

It is also deeply flawed.

Before building a team to fit around Sawyers, we had to fit Sawyers into a team. And it wasn’t always successful early doors. We asked him to do things that obviously weren’t his forte and he obviously struggled. These struggles and his frustrations led to the odd ineffectual game that paying punters called out. In fact he had some stinkers. The lazy tag was just laziness itself spouted by the 1% that for some reason didn’t seem to rate Ricketts, Deeney or Fryatt either.

As he grew as a player and Smith grew as a manager, not forgetting Okelly’s important coaching input he became this sublime artisan. A craftsman who we all got to know we were privileged to watch. We all rated him. We all loved him. We all miss him.

6 Likes

Do you have proof that fans who slated sawyers also didn’t rate rickets , fryatt, deeney?. Like I’ve already said I rated sawyers I just didn’t rate him has a number10, he was wasted in that position but we got away with it cause Bradshaw amount of goals. Anybody who didn’t rate Fryatt or deeney are complete morons. Ricketts in his first spell here can be forgiven for! I remember him missing 2/3 one on ones against Charlton at home in a game we ended up losing but should have been out of sight. There was noway in this world from the first spell he would go on and do what he did.

1 Like

I remember he missed 3 against Man City away in 1-1 draw

I don’t have proof that it was the same fans.

But what I do know is that we have a section of our support who consistently undermine players who are wearing their virtual L-plates.

To be fair, it doesn’t help when managers try to wedge those youngsters into a team in positions that they just don’t know. I’ve witnessed both Martin Butler and Michael Ricketts playing left back. They were never left-backs. And in his early games, Sawyers was sometimes asked to play a conventional wide midfield role thus exposing the weakest parts of his game against marauding full-backs.

1 Like

Most of our young centre forwards seem to be shoved out on the wing Deeney among them at times

1 Like

It is a strange phenomenon. With Butler I think his time wide was because we had Wilson and Lightbourne who were proven and very very good. The others were just strange calls.

There has been some slight revisionism of Whitney on here in recent weeks but he was another one who had a ÂŁ3m/ÂŁ4m talent at centre forward available to him (Tyler Roberts) and chose to either bench him or play him wide.

2 Likes

Best player I’ve seen down the bescot that year was so good that team !!