Rose or Roberts?

James McKeown? Would he be interested in returning now that Grimsby have left us?

Not sure on what terms he left us several years back but nailed down that number one slot and has been pretty consistent for them. He played well against us. I’d definitely have a look and offer him the number 1 jersey. At his age, he’s coming into his prime in keeper terms.

As for Rose and Roberts, I think both have had the opportunities. Can’t see Rose wanting to play second fiddle again, so he may even consider dropping down to National League for a No.1 shirt. Roberts is a good lad, and I respect him for being a local lad but he reminds me a bit of Rene Gilmartin. OK for a stop gap but not a lot more. If he’s happy to be a no. 2 keeper and fight for his place, then keep him on but we need a consistent stopper in there.

1 Like

I think the other thing to recognise is how fortunate we were to have Neil Cutler here when we did. He did wonders in that department.

1 Like

Isn’t rose still under contract for next season anyway?

Is he? I think I’ve lost the plot with all the cloak and dagger we use around contracts.

2 Likes

I think so wasn’t roses first season a loan then if I remember right it was posted by himself he had got a 2 year contract if I remember right? It’s all confusing

1 Like

As we are probably going to have a very young team next season I’d be looking for a very experienced keeper coming towards the end of his career.
A Clayton Ince type of signing who can organise those around him.

5 Likes

Yes, he did on Twitter.

So debate part over we have defo got rose :slight_smile:

NEITHER. and get rid of goalkeeping coach as well cos he can`t be teaching them right,

Are they both out of contract July?

Couldn’t care less if both leave as they’re both crap.

If I had to pick one to go though I’d pick Roberts. More than enough chances and hasn’t improved one bit, just a mistake waiting to happen and doubt anyone in front of him has any confidence in him.

I can’t see this club letting both go and replacing them with better keepers we don’t do it anywhere else on the pitch so why would we in that department?? so I’d say Rose is better than Roberts but not by much.

I thought Rose to be contracted for next season.
Grimsby conceded 66 league goals so far this season.
Why chose McKeown over Roberts/Rose?
As for defenders not having confidence with the GK, perhaps Roberts/Rose lack confidence with the defenders in front of them, example Scarr.
I believe Rose only played about 30 football league games. Lacks experience.
Roberts 150 games, all for Walsall.
Both 26 years old. Not much to chose between them.
I would go for Roberts but think it will be Rose.
Agree 2nd goalkeeper should be a youngster

The three times I can remember us coming up from this division the keepers were Ronnie Green for most of the season and Ian “F A Cup Winner” Turner for maybe ten games or so; Trevor Wood, with Jimmy playing a handful of games; Clayton Ince.
So in 79-80 we had a keeper who had won the F A Cup four seasons earlier, in 94-95 Jimmy was only our back -up, and in 06-07 we had Clayton “Mr Reliable” Ince who had been a regular player at Championship level.
We seem to be short of that level of quality. Hopefully Fiona Fullarton has ideas how to sort that.

Don’t really think Rose is the answer tbh. Yesterday I thought he should’ve done better for the second, just parried it back into 6 yard box for their player to tap in.

Robbo on his day is the answer but I’m afraid consistancy isn’t his strong point which is disappointing given he’s been a first team regular for 3-4 years and let in some really bad goals.

Need to find an experienced keeper and keep one of them as backup and release the other.

Need someone like Belshaw at Harrogate who had a cracking game the other week and is Midlands based (or was).

Good call. Belshaw and Rose.

Maybe if we surgically put Rose’s legs on Roberts and possibly a brain transplant between the two. We may just have a competent keeper for league 2.

1 Like

Neither. I know in commentary it was said both are contracted for the next season (I really hope that’s not true), but I won’t believe there are no better options in reserve teams from higher leagues. But if one must stay, Rose. Roberts probably hit his limits and shot stopping is only part of a good keeper.

Reckon we need someone with experience, a la Ince, someone who the defence can trust, and who can also organise them.

Something to be said for a few old pro’s knocking about the place.

1 Like

This is worst than the Lavery or Gordon thread!

■■■■ them both off…

3 Likes