Rose or Roberts?

I’m hoping as most others are that most of them ■■■■ off when their deals run out I’ve noticed you’ve let’s say politely had enough now so who would you keep mate?

Clarke
Melbourne
Perry
Leak
Holden
Wright
Kinsella

I’d potentially stick Kinsella at right back for the season, he would be quality.

1 Like

Conceded only 4 more than Bolton and Cambridge and 5 less than Morecambe. Scored 20 goals less ,on average, than the same three teams.

I would settle for beating the opposition by one goal more to keeping a clean sheet.

1 Like

That’s positive but who do you think has been behind those stats? It’s certainly not the goal keepers.

Roberts has consistently cost us points.

I’d settle for beating the opposition period. Lot harder to do when you barely ever keep a clean sheet. Consistently conceding goals and ending up with a similar record to those teams is WAY worse than having a poor record because you got a few thinking’s every now and again. Basically proves the point we have a leaky defence rather than a few off performances.

1 Like

Similarly we have only lost 1 game more than some of the top teams. The problem lies from midfield forward. That is where I would spend the money we have.

3 Likes

There have been match defining moments that whoever was standing on the sidelines at the time had no control over such as defensive errors missed pelantys and blokes getting straight reds when we were winning 1-0 so considering we have shot ourselves in the foot so many times those stats aren’t bad at all.

I said this when Clarke was manager and it’s the same now Dutton is the manager:

The bloke on the touch line can do nothing about an individual error. Maybe two individual errors. Maybe even three.

But at some point, continuously making “individual errors” becomes a failure of the manager to instil competence, focus, accountability into his players. It’s happened way to often under both managers to just be waived off as individual errors.

1 Like

Regarding your last bit of that statement isn’t the fact they are just poor footballers a massive part of individual errors that surely no matter how many times you hold them accountable for their errors it can’t be stopped by a manager?

1 Like

Dutton didn’t have to pick Scarr. We all knew there was a mistake waiting to happen.

2 Likes

Except for perry what kid has Dutton actually done well with?
Perry was always a class above as proven against Portsmouth and should have been playing a Year ago
Leak only played as scarr and white were both injured else he’d have never got a go.
Bates has digressed.
Willis got a 1 second cameo and hasn’t actually had a chance yet
Nolan has disappeared of the face of the planet
I’m confused as to duttons wonders with youth??

1 Like

I think Dutton only ever really used perry originally because we lost Guthrie , Sinclair is crocked, Bates has gone backwards and Vincent was a waste of time. Would perry have been given a shot originally on merit? I doubt it.
Dam this clubs bringing me down making me so cynical :frowning:

I think the lad deserves immense credit for taking the bull by the horns and taking his chance in the first team,young lads these days have no fear,years back players would be massively nervous on debut not in today’s game which has possibly helped with his upward curve.

I couldn’t agree more he totally deserves it! He has been immense I just think he deserved a shot sooner .
Just stating my opinion that our youth were only played because of injuries or loss of players eg leak who hasn’t played since injured players returned rather than being given a shot deliberately. I think they should all get a good go in our last game over the guys we know are leaving

2 Likes

I do agree with you mate I was just stating he deserved credit for his displays and taking his chance I agree with all you have said.

2 Likes

I’m not just looking back at this season re: McKeown. He’s been at Grimsby for a long time, he has a promotion from the National League on his CV, played consistently more than 30 games a season for the past 7 years or more and even kept 9 clean sheets in his 30+ games this season despite Grimsby finishing firmly bottom.

Put McKeown behind a solid L2 defence and he’s a good keeper at this level IMO. Agree with the comments around coaching mind, got to get that right too.

1 Like

It’s undeniable that Roberts has made blunders and cost us points (so has Rose), but it’s easy to forget that he’s also kept us in a fair few games.
None moreso than during his recent improvement in form, which was bizarrely followed by being dropped to the bench.
It is difficult to forsee that either goalkeeper will become exceptional but I don’t believe this period in Walsall’s history will have helped.
Playing behind a mediocre, ever changing, error strewn defence is one part of the problem. Add to that our inability to score goals and every error made by the goalkeeper, no matter how calamitous or minor appears so much more significant.
I’d suggest that if we sort out those two areas of the pitch we may find that both goalkeepers are more than adequate for this level.

2 Likes

Not really. I’m not saying all errors, I’m saying the frequency we have them. Think of it as a normal workplace. If an employee ■■■■■ up once fair enough.

If a whole department keeps ■■■■■■■ up almost on rotation the department manager is failing.

2 Likes

Fair enough I guess in our clubs case DC and BD were majorly involved in the recruitment of these players,now if they had inherited them it might be a different thing.

1 Like

I was actually in same year at school with him!

Think he’s settled up there so doubt he’d move back, probably end up at Scunthorpe or Mansfield to stay local as he’s got a couple of kids now.

1 Like