Round 2

I was thinking I don’t fancy them away much, long journey and I have been there several times. Then I remembered our George hasn’t been and he would love it. Definitely preferable to someone like Crystal Palace.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves but I really want Everton away. Never been and running out of time to now.

2 Likes

Good shout. Never seen us play them and as you say won’t be able to go to proper old ground like Goodison soon.

2 Likes

Last time was 50 years ago in the FA cup i think?

Given our history, if we make it to the 3rd round has to be Forest, home or away as good as a bye for us, followed by Arsanel, always a good shout for us to dump them out. Just trying to work out who we want in the final now😆

2 Likes

I’m sure @Welsh_Saddler and @Pedagogue can save me a dive into the record books, both will definitely have been there and possibly playing :grin:

2 Likes

A league two team at home please. And through to the 3rd round and a top premier team at home.

Those wanting Alvechurch, Chippenham etc are tempting fate! Those wanting Shrewsbury at home are just asking for a leahy winner down at our end. As for wrexham, a guaranteed “giant killing” and televised for all to see.

1 Like

Harrogate at home will do and hopefully they play like they did the other week.

Was at Salford Uni so went from there. Feb 1972.

1 Like

On a selfish note, Huddersfield Away would be great for me. Not only is it a fifteen minute bus ride, by the time of the 3rd round my Old Farts bus pass should have arrived, so it would be free :smile:

Lost 2-1 on the sort of muddy pitch you never get nowadays. Everton had won the League two years earlier so had loads of big names.
I think our goal was a late consolation scored by Mick Evans (is that right? he didn’t score many) and Bernie Wright ran them ragged at times, when he wasn’t flattening them with shoulder barges, and they signed him within a week or two of the match.
Big crowd (40,000 plus), and we needed the money.
We’d beaten Bournemouth in the third round which was a cracking win and a bit unexpected as they had McDougall and Boyer. McDougall had scored nine times in one game in the first round.

3 Likes

I think it was…‘with a rubber johnny on his cock…’

Otherwise, the whole rhythm of the song is totally ruined. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

rubber Johnny on his knob, rather than cock, if I remember correctly. Closer rhyming to “dog”.

1 Like

As noted by Cole Porter himself I believe…

2 Likes

I’ve been singing it in my head and can make it work both with and without the word rubber.
At least, I hope it’s inside my head, as I’m in the library at the moment.

4 Likes

My recollection was
“One man and his supersonic sausage dog, with a rubber Johnny on his knob”.

7 Likes

That version definitely rings a bell - and the line scans correctly too!

Yes Evans is right.A great away day that was. In a pub close by the ground beforehand having some lovely football chat with some Everton fans. They were top dogs on Merseyside at that time (I think) and were bragging about their quality footballers compared to Liverpool! I have often wondered how they have felt since because 'the reds" have clearly had the upper hand.
It would be lovely to go there again but I doubt they would put out their full team like they did last time!!

3 Likes

Id love Everton… esp as its their last yr at Goodison

1 Like

Think theyll still be there next season too m8.

But agree would be a great draw.

See what you did there :wink:

3 Likes