Round 2

For me it’s our only reciprocated rivalry, we don’t like them and they genuinely don’t like us.

Throw in a couple of years without a game, that their captain is a not particularly well regarded ex-player, and the potential for a ‘cupset’ and plausible route to Round 3, I’d think most fans would struggle not to be up for it.

4 Likes

I think you’ll find Vale fans (at least the older ones) genuinely hate us too. They even used to sing “We hate Walsall more than Stoke”.

Although I suppose to be reciprocal we have to hate them too - and how can you hate a team that practically chucks 6 points at you every season? :joy:

2 Likes

Vale were always bigger rivals when I first started going in the early 80s, at least in my mind anyway. Although that late goal by Gary Childs in the cup game was a bit special !

The Shrewsbury rivalry seemed to take off more in the early 90s.

Fond memories of playing Vale in the F.A Cup too, that foggy Sunday at Vale Park, where thousands of Walsall fans turned up to see (or not as it turned out) a 0-0 draw. Beat them in the replay, Phil Hawker got the winner if I recall rightly. Then the 5-0 slaughtering of them at Fellows Park. Still not much chance of drawing them this year :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, I guess it’s a generational thing with Vale. I started going in '92 and I think we’d gone ten years without playing them until 99-00, by which time a bit of needle was developing with Stoke. Feels like we’ve only played them on a regular basis during the past decade or so.

1 Like

Remember both those games. The Fulham home time was an icy cold day and wasnt it televised kicking off around lunchtime?. We were regular visitors to Brammall lane around that time and yes we didnt turn up on that day. It really kicked off after the match also. Could be along time before we get chances to get to the quarter finals like that again as luck sort of goes out the window at that stage and you need some seriously good players by that round. And yes we had them!!!

We didn’t turn up at Sheff United as you and PT say, very disappointing as it was a chance to make history. Junior missed an absolute sitter before they scored though, the sort he would usually bury with no problem. Different game if that goes in, that’s football for you.

Agree it is a generational thing, (vale v sloppies). In the 60’s and early 70’s it was always Shrewsbury who provided the regular local derby as Vale were usually in the league below. Football fortune is such that both Vale and Shrewsbury spent decent spells in what is now the Championship so we had to find alternatives. i’m tempted by Simon’s suggestion about a home tie with Shrewsbury, it would generate a lot of interest, possible tv and a good crowd. But so would Alvechurch and I think we would have too much for them, especially at home.

Scrap that, Wrexham away.

The football they play is frighteningly good.

Well done Torquay United and well deserved.

3 Likes

It was a thing by the time I started going to Fellows Park. November 1983 we beat them 2-1 in the league cup. Amongst other terrace anthems, ‘ten men went to mow’ got a good airing. One man and his dog, Spot, with a johnny on his cock, if I recall correctly. I may not.

That brought back memories!! Although I have to say that the version I remember was demonstrably cleaner, each chorus ending with “One man and his dog, Spot, a bottle of pop, sausage roll, Old Mother Riley and a cow, went to mow a meadow” - usually heard at the back of the coach on school outings…

Started going to the Bezla in 96 and i think theres a decent amount of general hate for Wolves… i think that’s a given. But as you lot said reciprocal hate is only probably Shrewsbury at no1… i live there so i know how much they hate us and Vale.

Id love Shrews away or home.

Weird how we never struck a rivalry with Burton … i guess they were always non league then leapfrogged us.

Yeah it was definitely a thing, but the Vale rivalry felt more prominent at the time. Only from my recollection, I might add, it was a very long time ago now and we all see things differently.

1 Like

I would like an “easy” draw at home, I’m hesitant to use the word easy as anything can happen in the FA Cup, as we all know!
Should we progress to the 3rd round, any Premiership club will do for me.

Sloppies at home then after the obvious progression to round 3 someone with decent following and rubbish team from championship. Then round 4 and 5 … Where did I put those pills :face_with_raised_eyebrow: As @Blazing_Saddler said some memories for the young uns would be nice and some cash in the bank. Fully expect MK Dongs away or something equally dispiriting

2 Likes

Aye, Saries, Quins, Gloucester would be good draws, or maybe Celtic or Rangers!:wink:

On a serious note, other than Bournemouth or Southampton I’d agree with you. At least the PL doesn’t have the likes of Huddersfield, Stoke, or Wigan in these days.

1 Like

Why not? That would be great home draw, they’d sell out and they aren’t very good

Now that does bring back memories … In one of my very early seasons (1957 ??) we drew Southampton at home in the F.A. Cup 2nd round. In the event we won that one 2-1, and then got Port Fail at home in the 3rd round. That game set a new record for a Fellows Park attendance (21,811), and we lost 0-1… To quote Max Boyce - “I know, 'cos I was there” :wink:

2 Likes

Round 3 if we can make it any decent prem side would be nice remember Swindon got Man City after beating us last year

Right, now we have sorted rounds 2 & 3, who do people fancy in round 4? :smiley:

3 Likes