Rushworth to Barca!

Surely not. He definitely seems like one they’d keep for the future. Unless you mean move him for another loan, which again seems a bit daft if he’s getting game time here and performing.

Who knows, if a Gillingham or Charlton come in for him and offer regular football he’d be recalled and off there e.g. higher level, closer to home etc.

Hopefully not though and he stays the whole season and gets league one or higher loan next season as he’s certainly good enough to play at that level already I think.

I’m not ruling it out, I’d just be surprised. Unless he really f***ing hates it here, seems a big risk to upset that apple cart.

I guess it will probably be tomorrows fish and chip paper as they say I hope he stays here all season obviously he’s been exceptional a bit too over worked for my liking.

2 Likes

Tbf I think we both are kind of arguing the same thing in a different way. In the end of the day the driving issue is crap recruitment!

4 Likes

Yes but we have a DOF now didn’t you know .

It’s funny how the general consensus on loans has changed in a matter of months. Last season when we signed tat like George and Osei the opinion seemed to be we should only go for quality loan signings. Now we have some quality loan signings and suddenly the loans should only be used to bulk up the squad.

Ultimately, either of these routes can be successful or unsuccessful. Using the 15/16 season as an example of why you shouldn’t rely on loans is bizarre given we were stuffed in the play-offs by a Barnsley team with several quality loan players.

2 Likes

It’s equally bizarre to use that one in a million Barnsley team as an example.

You forgot to add he works till half past ten at night, its all go as a DOF

Pity LP didnt mention he doesnt start till after Emmerdale

1 Like

Exactly. Anybody that thinks you don’t need loans, and more importantly, loans that add to your first team, is delusional. It’s a cost effective way to (hopefully) add quality. It’s why literally every team at this level and most in league one use their full quota.

What you do also need is quality players around them.

1 Like

I don’t think one person has said that we don’t need loans.

That wasn’t all I said.

From what I remember …

Dickie Dosh gave them a swerve in the promotion season limiting g it to what was needed to plug gaps

A big Dean Smith thing was that loans weren’t a sensible way to build but I think they were calculated ones which turned in to signings mostly

They have a purpose and at the moment we have little Choice !

That’s true. He did bring in Trevor Benjamin and Kevin Harper (who I thought was brilliant) but they were mostly stop gaps. Kevin Cooper in January as well.

Smith did sign a fair few loanees though, some of them, like Evans, Cuvelier, Darlow and so on were pretty instrumental to the team while they were there. I think he loaned 3 or 4 keepers in one season!

That is something I would like to see though, loan deals with a view to being permanent one day rather than developing for somebody else.

Febian Brandy nearly signed for Barcelona!

Loans are an indication of how the game has changed over the years (and not necessarily in a good way).
Chelsea had 32(!) players out on loan last season. if the Premiershite hoovers up all the (potentially) good talent all that’s for clubs to do is a) hunt around for the scraps and hope to find a gem that they missed, and b) get as many of these players on loan from said clubs - whether it fits the ethos of the football club/fan or not.
The days of a player staying for 10+ years at one club are gone…due to greed of the game.

5 Likes

Bang on, problem is though these top clubs are not loaning their players out. They are just sitting in the u/23 or however it’s structured these days.

I say Brighton sell Rushworth to us on the cheap so we can sell him to Barcelona for 4 million!
Sorry guys, I just woke up!

1 Like

Just looking at Cheltenham squad for last season - who everybody says if they can get promoted why can’t we?
They had 7 loan players during the course of the season - 4 in August/September and added 3 more in January.
I doubt Cheltenham fans are complaining too much - given a choice between promotion or non-loan players I’d bet the vast majority would choose the promotion!
This year they’ve got 5 loan players already.
Unfortunately, it’s all about trying to get the right players into the right squad into the right formation - regardless of whether they’re your own or borrowed from elsewhere :frowning:

2 Likes

Don’t think the loan players are the problem, it’s the bang average replacements for the bang average players we moved on , that’s the problem.

1 Like