The Mat Sadler Thread

If that is true (A friend who is a Bratfud fan has doubts) then Alexander will have been sacked by two clubs with two thirds of the season gone!

He had 16 games in charge at MK Dons according to his Wiki page, must be a very similar figure at Bradford.

1 Like

As someone mentioned above, at the moment i’m neither Sadler in or out. If he gets the sack, fine. If he stays, also fine.

That run we had in December has probably earnt him the right to continue until the end of the season at least.

Am i in the camp of giving him until the end of next season? Not at all.

What i dont want to see is another horrendous run, followed by a “job saving” one. I want consistency. Im not expecting to win every game but i expect a team to give there all, put trust in each other and the management team and a coach that shows sense in what hes doing.

Yeh, MS is a relatively young manager and is bound to make mistakes, but i honestly thought he’d of corrected some of the mistakes (i.e lack of subs) by now. We saw Taylor get the sack after his inability/stubborness to change things up if/when needed.

Its not negative but as i said about a week ago, will we get to roughly 76 points and get in the play-offs, with X amount of games left? Extremely doubtful. Answering that again after the Sutton game? Not a chance.

I’ll back him for now, but i wouldnt be committing to another 18 months of “this”, at this stage.

5 Likes

I don’t think he’ll survive another bad run this season. Boycott did point to the fact that we had some positive signs but didn’t build on them.

I think the important thing here regarding Sadler is we don’t appear to have a clown as an owner .its Bens ambitions for Walsall that count .if we’re not making the progress at the pace he wants .then Sadler’s job would be at risk .as a football manager he’s constantly being accessed. day by day. week by week ,

2 Likes

I’m probably repeating myself but when he was appointed It left me completely underwhelmed.
Initially I thought give him until mid November but he’s slowly turned things around.
We went on a decent run and what at one stage looked like a relegation battle would be the order of the day faded away.
The talk of making the playoffs is in my opinion unlikely. If that was a real possibility teams like Sutton need to be put to the sword.
To be fair to MS he has earned the right to see out the season because mid table at this stage is just about what I expected.
If we can finish inside the top ten this season I’d be happy for now but it’s important that we recruit the right players after this season finishes, then there can be no excuses in August. We can’t keep changing managers every five minutes but in fairness like the majority of fans I’m absolutely sick to death of this mediocrity we’ve drifted into.
Do I trust Trivela , yes because although things are moving slowly they are moving in the right direction.

9 Likes

How about a bit of perspective with this?
Since the start of December our league form is W5 L2 D1, 2 point per game.
This is despite what seems for some to have been a terrible January, 3 league games only, W1 L1 D1.
The January form is 1.33 points per game, keep that up we’ll be on around 62 points, by some margin our best season at this level. And yet some still don’t rate Sadler.
We would need 2 points per game to get to 75 and the usual play-off total. Whilst not convinced we’ll make it it’s achievable if we play as we have for the last 8 games.
February is going to be the clincher. We have 7 games, 4 of which are at home. 4 of the 7 are against the 4 teams currently immediately above us, 2 against the teams immediately below us (I’m ignoring Swindon over whom we have 2 games in hand) and the other is against Mansfield, who we can drag back into the play-off battle.
So effectively they’re all 6 pointers, if we can go W4 L1 D2 we’ll be right in the mix, 2 points per game on 51 points, around 9th with 12 to go. Obviously better would be better, but also W4 L3 D0 would be a good month, 1.71 per game and 49 points on the board and hopefully around 10th with 12 games to go.
Oh and I’d add a game in hand over everyone above us bar Crawley and Wrexham.
Why not?

3 Likes

If 1 team is coming from nowhere on a play off charge, it’s Harrogate. They’re only 1 point adrift of the play offs as it stands winning at Sutton currently

Sadler has the best team we have had at this level Aswell
He should be doing better than the others
That should be noted
Only thing he doesn’t have his a class striker like when we had adebayo

Our form is about the same as theirs.
Win the game in hand and beat them in Feb and we’re level…

1 Like

Oh its more than possible as said above what’s baffling me every game that comes along I keep hearing “ this is a bad time to be playing these “ as of Sutton Saturday :weary:

2 Likes

We have genuinely been unfortunate in that respect this season.

Such a cop out that.

That’s just people making excuses we managed to beat Wrexham and Crewe are Sutton better than them? They lost again tonight.

Sutton are our Notts Forest , sad but true

Interesting that we seem to do better against the teams with a reputation for playing more technical football, such as Wrexham, Notts & Crewe. Yet we seem to struggle against the more physical sides.

3 Likes

Sutton have only beaten us once, and in their first season in the league we did the double over them. So we have a better record against them than they do against us.

1 Like

Perspective means taking a wider view and looking at things from multiple angles to make a more informed view.

I’d say this is a conversation with a lot of perspective. People are generally saying that we’re at a tipping point - if it goes well, great. If it goes badly then we’ll need to consider a change.

We’re massively inconsistent, some problems aren’t being fixed in terms of how we approach games and there have been some real signs that it could suddenly click and get better. It could get better, it also might not.

I’m usually good with this stuff, but I can’t figure out which way it’s going to go. I was 100% Sadler out, now I’m fairly confused - hoping it comes good but with no idea if it will.

1 Like

Just to play devil’s advocate…

Sadler’s ‘good run’ was just 5 league games (and we lost one of those)…

I am more positive than I was in November, that’s for sure, but we really need to see progression when the season finishes.

For me, given the age of signings and the signs of a plan… I’d be content with a top half finish. I think that would be a good step, but then next season HAS to be a top 7 finish. No excuses.

If we start next season like we did this season… then his job is in question. Same, if we finish 16th or something this season.

I think it’s very much in the balance as we hit February - but I am more positive than I was 10 games ago.

5 Likes

I completely agree.

The good run was brilliant and we suddenly had a style of play, but it seems to have reverted to type now.

If we go back to what we had pre-November then I’d personally see it as time to go. If we have consistently raised our level then stick as long as we keep up the 1.3-1.5+ points per game form going with signs of us looking like a good side on the eye test and a style of play emerging.