Salford City (A), 4th Jan, 3pm

“Salford skyline gloom"

- Friend of Ours, Elbow (2008)

Salford City

Occupying 11th place, Salford are four places and two points better off than the Saddlers at the time of writing. Their debut season in the Football League has been reasonably comfortable if not spectacular, with a current record of P25 W8 D8 L9 F31 A34 Pts32.

The Ammies’ home record has been patchy of late, winning three and losing four of their past 10 league games at Moor Lane. That said, they achieved a mightily impressive 3-1 defeat of visiting Crewe on Boxing Day and recently beat the Dingles 3-0 in the Mickey Mouse Cup.

Adam Rooney leads Salford’s scoring charts with 6 goals and 1 assist, closely followed by former Walsall target Jake Jervis (4 goals, 2 assists). Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Brandon Thomas-Asante, Ibou Touray and Richie Towell have all chipped in with three goals each.

Recent League Form

Dec 14 Exeter (H) Lost 1-0
Dec 21 Bradford (A) Drew 1-1
Dec 26 Crewe (H) Won 3-1
Dec 29 Oldham (A) Won 4-1
Jan 01 Grimsby (A) Lost 1-0

Previous Meeting

This is of course our first ever trip to Salford, but the home leg back on October 5th saw a deserved 3-0 loss for the Saddlers. Goals from Luke Armstrong (21’), Jervis (49’) and Touray (72’) secured the points for the visitors, their first away victory in league football.

Played for Both

Rory Gaffney is the obvious link, but perhaps the less said about that the better.

Former Saddler Ashley Hemmings joined Salford at the start of last season but stayed for only two months before transferring to National League rivals Fylde. The winger is now at Kidderminster.

Prediction

In a poor division we join Salford and a glut of other mid-table teams who, with a good run of form, could quickly become play-off contenders. Unfortunately, we probably lack the consistency to do so.

A great day out, but 2-0 to Salford.

Match Poll

• Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Salford Win

0 voters

1 Like

Why I can’t be optimistic before? One goal more and solid in defence and should be ok.
But 3rd January? Ow, I missed a game :frowning:

Speaking of Gaffney what’s the “grounds for divorce” again by elbow :+1:t2:

Well spotted, M!

1 Like

Looks like a certain defeat in view of all the players not being selectable but I will be optimistic and go for a 1-0 to the Saddlers.

Speaking of mistakes Simon, can you move the Exeter thread I started from All About Walsall to Match Centre. Thanks.

My first and (until tomorrow) last visit to Prestwich was a singularly unsuccessful one in 1970/71. Sadly, the Nurses’ Home disco failed to live up to the lurid things that I, as a first year student at Salford University, had been led to believe. Here’s hoping that we are more successful than I was nearly fifty years ago. 2 nil win!

1 Like

Looking for some help, my tickets haven’t arrived yet, anyone had this before or got any advice?

We’re collecting ours from the ticket office at the ground so if yours don’t arrive in the morning you might want to call them and ask if you can collect copy tickets from there???

As a side issue, I know their home ticket system allows fans to print them at home which is a great idea for a small fan base club…

Hope you get it sorted

1 Like

Now sorted, spoken to Tom heslop tonight (he inboxed me on Twitter) and fair play to him gone above and beyond to make sure I’m sorted tomorrow and that he’s got my tickets! I know a lot of people are keen to criticise (sometimes rightly so) but on this occasion credit where credits due

3 Likes

We will lift the lads with our passion tomorrow 2-1 the saddlers

3 Likes

3-2 defeat. But a bloody great day out.

Have a great day everyone

3 v 1 to the super mighty saddlers

Weve got this

Just about too leave

See you all there

Lets hope for a good day!

UTS

3 Likes

Just like to say that I think it’s a absolutely outstanding effort from our fans that we are taking around 1400 to a mid table game between two average teams in League 2 on the first week of January. I don’t think there many other clubs at this level who could get anywhere near this .
Hopefully the " club " can give the supporters something back moving forward regards team investment , facilities communication etc.
They should appreciate that if they are seen to be moving in the right direction , they will get the supporters backing .
Have a great day
UTS

5 Likes

Agree with all of that. Have a safe journey every one and I hope the team respond and that you have something to cheer.

2 Likes

My day’s sorted - Few minutes on the tram from my place to Salford Quays, lunch and a few pints at the Beefeater, taxi up to a pub near the ground for a few more pints, up to the ground for a 1-0 smash and grab away win a la Port Vale :sunglasses:

Salford away was one of the only silver linings to relegation for me and I’m really pleased it’s not a Tuesday night and we’re bringing 1,300. Proper away day on my door step.

Safe travels to those coming. I know that journey only too well :laughing:

4 Likes

Just going in there for breakfast as we are in the premier inn next door :call_me_hand:t2:
I am going for a 2-1 win for the saddlers

4 Likes

With the confidence in the club high and a big away following I fancy us to win any score will do.

Gutted I’m missing this one the atmosphere will be electric in such a small stadium so do the club proud and sing your hearts out for the lads

Come on the saddlers

1 Like

Tough one, they’ve picked up a lot since the 3-0 in early October and still signing players above league 2 like Ash Hunter.

Mind you I thought Scunny and Exeter would be very tough and team should’ve got six points from that, it’s a completely different mentality on the road compared to home games which are such a struggle.

Will go for 2-2.