Scott Laird

Why is it a poor signing? If there’s someone at left-back playing for them that’s better than Laird that doesn’t make Laird a poor player. Plenty of decent players at Walsall have struggled to displace better ones and then gone on to be decent signings for other clubs where first team opportunities were more plentiful due to the need to sign someone in that position. Take Clive Platt or Karl Hawley for example, then more recently the likes of Mal Benning, or Craig McGilveray. Even DK himself found himself transfered then welcomed back on more than one occasion, each time doing the job that was required at the time. Personally I firmly believe Laird should never have left, and neither should Wilson.

5 Likes

I’d rather we have the player keeping out the side at FGR if he’s better?

I hope he does a job for us to keep the status quo we all know JB wants but it’s still no ambition sadly

So you honestly believe Keates has identified a footballer who has played one game for Forest Green as the answer to all of our problems?

I get that you don’t want to say he doesnt have an ounce of dignity but you’re basically saying instead that he is desperate manager with no clue of who to sign and with no contacts in the game. Of course the board have made this signing.

5 Likes

Osbourne was certainly an argument between the two and that was that.

Laird was a regular and there was talk of a permanent but surprise surprise the club weren’t interested and that meant his loan was pretty redundant and so it was ended earlier.

I’m sure Whitney would’ve rather got a solid LB full time than have to go shopping in Scotland and seemingly blow most of the budget on Leahy and Devlin.

Edit: That’s what the club don’t get really. Laird at even 1k more a week would’ve been better value signing than Leahy and here we’ve gone full circle and he’s seemingly coming back to replace Leahy or something.

Welcome back, Scott!! UTS

1 Like

They do get silly and this is one of the reasons the club laughs at fans and doesn’t take protests seriously. If fans stuck to the one issue and stuck to the facts of that issue, we might or might not get somewhere. Instead, there’s now a whole thread ( which the club will read) whipping every one up into a frenzy about our new signing because, apparently, this was not the manager’s doing, Jeff signed him!! Even better, some are now claiming the same for Ismail and Osbourne signings. You really couldn’t make it up!

Has Keates even seen Laird play??

Well?

Keates appears to have discovered Whitney’s little black book in the office drawer to make his signings from. We are just replaying the last 2 seasons over again, except this time the outcome could be a lot worse! I wasn’t convinced by Laird last time, additional age and lack of first team football won’t have helped either!

1 Like

I believe he’s taking some advice from someone who was here last time laird etc were here as well. As I said earlier, isn’t Ward the common link?

1 Like

Ah okay, so you ARE saying Dean Keates is a desperate manager with no contacts in the game.

A certain Mr D .Wrack has been see around on match days of late! amongst a few other ex-‘players’

He is one of our scouts i think?

Wouldn’t mind James Wilson back tbf

Is Laird’s agent Sun Tan Man?

Yeah that doesn’t win you games, but defending does. We can’t go into games needing to score three ourselves to even consider winning games and we’ve drafted in a defender who WANTS to play and WANTS to do well.

If it was a young player we’d say he’s got no experience for the relegation battle we’re in, if it was an older player we’ve never heard of we’d write him off and well, if it’s a former player…just read this thread.

4 Likes

Dk’s agent aswell.

2 Likes

Strange feeling we might end up getting Wilson in on loan. Lincoln signed Cian Bolger today who had been starting for Fleetwood

2 Likes

Also our head of recruitment

2 Likes

A player that can’t get a game at Forest Green (League 2) and probably is not match fit.

I’ll reserve judgement, I don’t like to rubbish players before they play; but its another cheap, shortsighted & panicky move. It will end up like all of the other cheap, shortsighted, panicky moves before it!

2 Likes