Scunthorpe United (H) Sep 21st, 3pm

"Any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron"

(Traditional music hall song written by Collins, Terry & Sheppard)

We welcome The Iron to Bescot as we look to build on our midweek win at Morecambe and put some more distance between ourselves and the single relegation spot currently occupied by Stevenage. The vagaries of League 2 are demonstrated by the fact that 20th place (us) is 6 points clear of relegation but also 6 points below the play-off zone.

Scunthorpe United are, like ourselves, looking to kick-start their League 2 season. Having appointed Paul Hurst as manager in May this year, one win out of nine games played might well seem to be poor reward bearing in mind the high profile of some of the players in their 38-man squad. Scunthorpe have conceded more goals than anyone, which is a bit strange considering they have ex-Saddler Andy Butler as their captain! But the very mention of Scunthorpe United brings to mind a 1-4 defeat at home, and with good reason as we managed to suffer that scoreline on three occasions in recent years (2012, 2015 and 2016). Be that as it may, The Ironā€™s current form looks like this:-

Aug 20 Cambridge United (A) Lost 3-2
Aug 24 Macclesfield Town (A) Lost 1-0
Aug 31 Carlisle United (H) Lost 0-1
Sep 7 Mansfield Town (A) Lost 2-0
Sep 14 Morecambe (H) Won 3-0
Sep 17 Oldham Athletic (H) Drew 2-2

No point in trying to guess Darrell Clarkeā€™s starting selections for this game - he appears to base his decisions individually after analysing the oppositionā€™s potential. Itā€™s worth bearing in mind on that score that Scunthorpe are not short in the fight-back department - in their most recent game they were 0-2 down against Oldham Athletic but there was no dropping of heads as they came back for a 2-2 draw.

Itā€™s about time that our strikers produced something to justify their existence, and who better to do it against than the team with the leakiest defence? Letā€™s go for a 2-1 home win, with goals from Lavery and Gaffney to push us up the League 2 table (a little).ā€¦

UTS

1 Like

Clearly the ā€œIronā€ are starting to improve but so are weā€¦2-0 for me this week . UTS

Donā€™t we like, always. lose to Scunny 4-1 at home?

Just checked Soccerbase, in fairness itā€™s only 3 of the last 6 games at Bescot, so only half of them.

1 Like

Mentioned in the previewā€¦ :wink:

No Proctor / Novak or Butler for Scunny.

All 3 would walk into outer team.

We might just edge this 2-1

Think both teams will score but Walsall will just edge it with home advantage.

2-1 Walsall

Surprised how bad theyā€™re doing with Paul Hurst in charge.

Win would be great to continue the momentum and moving up the table but feels like a 1-1 game. In the lead for ages and then concede late goal type game.

We will win this one 3-1

Apologies Welsh.

Goes to show I shouldnā€™t be reading and replying on my phone at bed time.

I just end up repeating stuff.

I just end up repeating stuff.

1 Like

1-2, with two late giveaways sadlyā€¦

5 goals in the last 2 matchesā€¦If only eh?
They might let em in but they know where the net is at the other end so our strikers (or anyone in a red shirt) need to start striking tomorrow. Canā€™t see it being nil nil.

Generous. To me itā€™s looked like pulling 11 names out of a hat and fitting them into a 5/3 at the back formation.

Anyway, Iā€™d take a draw here. Theyā€™ve been poor (but so have we) but seem to have picked up a little lately.

1 Like

I would not take a draw should be all out to win home matches and maybe take a draw away from home.

2 Likes

I completely agree, Iā€™m just tempering my expectations based on what Iā€™ve seen so far this season. It avoids being accused of being some overeacting washer woman you see.

1 Like

2-1 Walsall with a dozen screeching washer-women invading the pitch from the Laundry End at full time.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see the same starting 11 although if it is then 0-0 is the best we can hope for.
Logical changes are the 2 wide men.

Options are left: Kinsella, Pring, Holden, Hardy, McDonald
Right: Holden, Kinsella, Norman, McDonald

None of the permutations inspire me.

Just on the fact that they beat awful morecambe 3-0 when we just about managed a1-0 is enough to set alarm bells ringing, so although I donā€™t think they will beat us I think we will have to be at our best to get a point.

1 Like

Walsall 1-0 Scunny
4,398 (304)

After another 89 minutes of impotence up front from us, Andy Butler to make a late defensive ā€˜mistakeā€™ as he continues his undercover mission of ensuring thereā€™s at least one team in the league worse than his beloved Walsall this season.

With you in spirit but the said Andy Butler is reportedly injured so I think the scenario is unlikely.

As we have yet to register a home this season and Scunny always seem to turn us over I ainā€™t very optimistic of us getting anything, so iā€™m hoping that some how we burn these stats and we win 3 - 0.