Scunthorpe United (H) Tuesday December 29th, 7pm

Not sure why people think it will be Scrappy?
I’m going for a Scooby 3-1 win.

Elijah, Moses and Zachariah on the score sheet.

3 home games on the bounce if we are serious about promotion then a win tomorrow is a must, so I’m going for 0-1 to scunthorpe hope I’m wrong just got an horrible feeling :disappointed:.

I too will go for a 3-1 win (we always give away at least one goal, even to a team as bad as Scunny!) However we don’t usually perform too well against poorer teams, and memories of their regular 1-4 wins in the past could haunt us if the team are not ‘up to it’…
On a completely off topic note…was amazed to see at West Ham’s home match the other day a huge banner saying “Up the Iron” surely they have been the “Hammers” since inception, never ever heard them nicknamed ‘the Iron’ before? Surely this accolade is for Scunny due to their heavy reliance on Iron production.

Always been The Irons as they started life as Thames Ironworks FC.
The Hammers has taken over in recent years though.

3 Likes

1-4. Standard midweek home game reusult against these lot.

Hope I’m wrong.

Thanks Belph, though for over 60 years I have never heard them referred as the Iron before! Thames Iron works Eh…do we have anything to do with leather perhaps? :wink:

I came to the embarrassing conclusion because it smacked of amateurism, non league mentality, penny pinching acts ! Not so much reference to games called off etc, and I tend to think that if games were in doubt and the ref decided to play it was probably due to atmospheric conditions rather than an oversized bean can with a candle inside that warmed an area the size of a pair of boots, just my opinion of course.

I’m not against digs at Bonser for penny pinching or anything else really. I’m not sure the fire bins were penny pinching though. It wouldn’t be cost effective at all for us to have underground heating for example. Costs a fortune to run. The fire bins would cost more than doing nothing at all. I assume Bonser wasn’t burning his pension fund to fuel them.

I’m not sure how effective those braziers were to be fair, but I know a lot of effort has gone in to get games on. I vaguely remember at Fellows Park fans going in to shovel snow off the pitch. Not sure if that has happened at Bescot or not.

1 Like

It has! When I was a steward, a few of us went in before the game against Bournemouth (ironically David James’ last game in English professional football) and shovelled the whole pitch clear of snow. Teas and Coffees handed out by none other than Mr & Mrs Bonser!

The best handball decision I’ve ever seen given in that game too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVAxbgsNNWA

5 Likes

What is your weather like down there?
We had a couple of inches of snow two days ago and it ain’t gone yet, indeed it’s snowing today and freezing on to windscreens as it touches down! No way any footy matches could be played in Cheshire, and from what I hear on the news the Midlands is no better.
Match Cancelled? Or is a host of obsolete braziers to be redeployed on the pitch as the ‘boss’ still directs his minions to ‘save money’ from his Med lair?

It’s just started snowing again,depends how long the snow lasts.At least they can’t postpone it on fan safety grounds.

Just stopped snowing here in Cannock at 11.00.

Pity we’re not playing in Cannock,it’s not stopped here yet,if anything it’s getting heavier.

Started snowing again in Cannock, big flakes so maybe not a good idea to move match to here Sid. Three points tonight would be nice.

1 Like

I was one of the few who shovelled snow at fellows park for the FRT game vs Derby county .
Rees hat trick and he jumped onto the pile of shovelled snow at the side of the street end goal .
5-3 I think the final score was

1 Like

Can’t beat an orange ball played over the top of the snow with just the lines cleared , those were the days

2 Likes

Called off due to snow(that’s my prediction that hasn’t happened yet)

Reminded of story of someone I knew who was intending to go to a game at Welling United. He called the club to see if it was still on and the man who answered said “course it is, why wouldn’t it be?” My mate replied “well, it’s snowing in my back garden”. The official said “it’s a good job we’re not playing in your effin back garden then” and put the phone down!

2 Likes

It’s snowing in my back garden @Stroller

My driveway is covid in snow