Season 20/21

Notts County or Harrogate for the final spot.

No issue with Harrogate coming up, new team and would be interesting trip via York.

However if it’s guarenteed decent away followings can re-commence within a few months of the season restarting then Notts County needs no explaining, good record there in recent times aswell.

3 Likes

You’ve got to feel sorry for Ebbsfleet - getting relegated from that league even though they were outside the bottom 3 when lockdown started and had just won 3 of their last 4 games, but on the points per game calculation they went down by 0.002 of a point.

2 Likes

Not sure if you are taking the pee here JT … :wink: :joy:

No I wasn’t. For a change. :grinning: The commentaries sound terrible on the radio, just a couple of blokes having a conversation, with no crowd reaction to shots or fouls it seems pointless.

2 Likes

I agree, it is crap without the sound of a crowd. But the “canned fans” that they put on the televised games is even worse (pretty much like those bloody awful vuvuzelas). If there’s the option, I watch it without that added as even the sound of less than 200 people in a 50,000 or whatever stadium is better.

Without real crowds of fans chanting and reacting though, it doesn’t seem to matter what the quality of the football is like it just lacks the excitement we’ve come to expect.

1 Like

And most of the commentators/summarisers arn’t even at the game.

Of course there is absolutely no logic to the arbitrary “October at the earliest” date that the incompetents have plucked out of thin air. Its just more nonsense in the guise of managing this “situation”. Trouble is, like everything else the lack of logic/substance behind it will go unchallenged by other politicians, and the media who should be asking why October? Especially when fans are already back in stadiums around Europe and there is plenty of time to make sure this is possible here before September 12th.

One obvious plus from having no fans in the stadium is the “play acting” and feigning injuries seems to be a lot less evident! Players mostly give a wince a quick rub and get up, as they don’t have a crowd to act to!

If as some people have suggested could one day possibly be the future of football being only watched on TV or on line with no crowds then that to me will be the end of my interest in football.

2 Likes

On the plus side there has been very little dissent or pointless arguing or badgering officials.

Strangely though, refs are still getting earache from players asking for or challenging decisions in situations which all of them should know by now will automatically be reviewed by VAR anyway (in the EPL I mean, not the “normal” games of football such as most of us prefer to watch).

The answer to “Why October?” is “Why not?”. It all depends on stuff like whether there is another “spike” in cases and where that might occur, plus progress on treatments or the highly unlikely scenario of there being a vaccine available. They (the government) can set a date, then change it at any time as the situation develops: look at how quickly they “quarantined” Spain again this week. They are an incompetent bunch of Brexit-selected idiots anyway; we could have been so much better off if better decisions had been made going back YEARS.
Of course, setting then changing a date would be fairly disastrous for most clubs IF it had to be changed late in the day. Personally, I’d be delighted if I could pay a one-off charge to stream the odd game (I wouldn’t be allowed to get a season ticket stream :roll_eyes:)…

I get what your saying but I don’t agree. Two reasons why, I believe that freedom and “normality” should only be even remotely impinged upon in the most exceptional of circumstances and then only for a very short space of time. The use of ambiguous and arbitrary deadlines that dont to seem to have much, if any scientific underpinning is not a road we should be going down. It should always be incumbant upon the politicians that are suspending freedom in this manner to explain fully why, and that simply isn’t happening. Secondly, there has to be some kind of co-ordination between government and other bodies within society. The football authorities have agreed a date of mid-September and the government pluck the date of October 1st out of thin air. Again problems caused that to me just seem unecessary. Surely a far more logical approach would have been to see what’s worked abroad, and to “test” logistical issues in the lead up to September 12th so that come the start of the season everyone has some degree of clarity enabling better planning and execution. To me from that second perspective it just looks like another unco-ordinated mish mash that doesn’t really achieve anything.

1 Like

And getting to see tippy-tappy training ground moves like the one we saw from Arsenal a couple of weeks ago. 30 odd passes involving their own keeper in their own 6 yard box before a forward ball was played. We had MoTD pundits lapping it up. Would we have seen that in front of a live crowd ? Who knows but I seriously doubt it. Anyway whats wrong with training ground football as long as the Sky subscriptions are kept up?

2 Likes

“Training ground” pretty much sums it up - a real lack of intensity on the pitch because there is none off it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/maiktaylor1/status/1288447398818328576?s=21

Some of the players back at the training ground

How did other players end up this season? this was my entry
I ended up 24th in the Walsall fan league, the guy who won it is on a Tenerife forum i subscribe to.

Harrogate coming up then.

Someone pay the fixture computer to put it on a weekend after Feb 2021 please.

Well done Harrogate Town. An EFL team at last. Get the quotes in pronto to replace the Plastic pitch!!
Another very local match for me

1 Like

Last away day around mayday would be good or Easter

1 Like