Season 20/21

I watched the Big Match on ITV4 this morning. Games from 1977 I think. It was all very agricultural but no-one was writhing on the floor as if they’d been shot. More likely they’d retaliate with a kick and the ref would ignore it!

The quality of the football was shockingly poor.

I’d agree with that about timing . My daughter lives in north Leeds so excellent one to take grandson to.

1 Like

Glad Harrogate came up… only a few stops on the train for me… and only 20 mins drive to Valley Parade too. Nice to have two grounds so close, just got to hope we can go to these games!

2 Likes

Up to this season, we have never lost to Harrogate in our 132 year history. Let’s hope we can keep that record up!

Apparently the Harrogate Goalkeeper James Belshaw started out his career playing for our U18s

1 Like

As were the pitches! Some resembled mud baths in some of the early F.A. Cup matches.The technology of grass care has come on in leaps and bounds since the 60’s/70’s!

1 Like

When are the fixtures for next season due out? I need to plan the games I am not going to be able to go to!

1 Like

Harrogate not quite as handy if we play them at the start of the season as they’re playing at Doncaster while they get rid of their 3G pitch

Week ending 21st August apparently.

Another good idea emerges from the wreckage of the crisis…along with beer during the game…

1 Like

I’m all for the cap as it prevents clubs from going “daft.”
Why does it take a global pandemic for the football authorities to wake up and employ some commonsense?

You just watch certain clubs vote against it. I’m guessing Mansfield, Salford, Bolton will be not too keen on the idea.

3 Likes

Anyone know if it’s a simple majority needed or something like two thirds?

It will be interesting (if agreed upon) to see how its implemented given that the likes of Salford already have players signed up on big wages, and I believe have already done some business this summer

1 Like

Yeah, seems like they’ve been trying to get them in before the salary cap applies! No doubt the big spenders will find some big loophole that the EFL leave for them…

1 Like

Bolton couldn’t care less about any salary cap or seemingly going bust in another five years time, signed Nathan Delfouneso this evening. :roll_eyes:

Press reports I’ve read say that the vote will need a two thirds majority to pass. This has been reduced from three quarters.

from the grimsby telegraph:

The threshold to approve the cap was lowered last month from three-quarters of clubs in a division to two-thirds, meaning 16 out of the 24 clubs involved in any decision would have to be in favour.

1 Like

Thanks

I remember that there had to be a similar size majority in order for the season to be scrapped.

Shame, a little club like Bolton, trying desperately to keep up with our flood of crackin signings! :roll_eyes:

I think the EFL should mandate any player purchased prior to any salary cap agreement will count against said cap.
Personally, I don’t think they the courage to stand up to the big boys in L2.