Season 20/21

A two thirds majority should be very achievable in our league.
Besides Bolton, Salford and Mansfield who else has got the cash to splash around?

What if L2 vote yes and L1 vote no? Are the Championship having the same vote?

Iā€™d have thought it should be an EFL wide regulation, so youā€™d need 48/72 to vote in favour given clubs switch between leagues annually.

I get your logic there.

The issue with some leagues having a cap and others not is that teams getting promoted into a higher league that doesnā€™t have one are going to be fooked.

It needs to be implemented proportionally down the pyramid to stand a chance.

1 Like

the championship are having their own vote later

Itā€™s a great idea in principle, if it is done right. Will need to be implemented far better than the disaster that is FFP.

Regarding beer in grounds, should have been done years ago. It is way outdated now, was started in a time where football violence was rife in England. Iā€™ve been to non league games (not anywhere near as many as you from reading your posts) and stood or sat drinking a beer with other fans watching the match. No sign of any trouble, just people enjoying themselves, which ultimately is what it is all about.

1 Like

Impressed again with how the club are handling this.

2 Likes

Same here. Very good.

Bet Victorā€™s prediction has us down for a seventh place finish. Not saying this is accurate, especially looking at their other predictions, but itā€™s the first one Iā€™ve seen so far.

1 Like

Interesting read but it remains to be seen whether the author has it right in his assumptions.

Weā€™ll have to wait and see :wink:

Iā€™ll be having on though.

1 Like

Got to worth a few quid on us going up this year . By no means a certainty but could be worth the gamble.

1 Like

I think so too. We were the form team when the lurgy came in.
Settled squad, good management team. Looks good to me.

4 Likes

Goes with a top 7 of:

Bolton
Cheltenham
Tranmere
Exeter
Vale
Mansfield
Walsall

Finishing above likes of Salford and Bradford City would certainly mean a play off position at least I think.

Stevenage again and Southend the bottom two.

Cheltenham?
Top 3 WILL be Bolton, Salford, Bradford Cityā€¦money that does not exist being ā€˜spentā€™ to get out of this dreadful Division, aka Bury of old.
Exeter & Mansfield in the play off final.
We will end up bottom half, a lack of fire power being our downfallā€¦again.

I understand the pessimism (or is that realism?) but I prefer to enter the upcoming season with optimism.

I think we have one of the best managers in the league, our midfield is full of talent - experience and youth.
Wes McDonald is one of the best wingers (on his day) in the division.
Many opposition managers would love Liam Roberts between the sticks.
Guthrie (when fit) is too good for League Two level.
Clarke is a solid captain and defender.
Elijah is an exciting talent, Josh Gordon is growing in confidence all the time and Lavery can chip in with 10 to 15 goals.
Holden and Nolan are also very close to fulfilling their undoubted potential, I believeā€¦

I agree that we could do with a proven goal-poacher but I really hope that a settled squad is going to be better than the approach adopted by many other clubs.

I understand that money talks but Crewe are the benchmark that we should be aspiring to become and they looked superb last seasonā€¦

4 Likes

Loving your optmism in general, and I do tend to stick to optimism before a ball has been kicked. I canā€™t agree with your assessment of Clarke though, I thought he was pretty poor overall. I do think there is a decent center back in the making in Jules though, if he doesnā€™t keep giving him his chance at left back.

1 Like

I would pretty much agree with all that. Clarke didnā€™t quite live up to leader centre back at times that I thought he was brought in to be,hence why Scarr and Sadler played as well as Clarke being shoehorned in at right back (less said about that the better!)
Think Jules has great potential to be a very solid centre back / LCB of a 3 for us.

1 Like

Jules needs more game time but i fully agree he looked a good player in there.

Scarr has come on leaps and bounds with Sadds guiding him, turning into a great CB who always shows a bit of passion too the home serve before a game! JC tho im not so sure, he has good days but more bad if i was too be honest. Gets caught out a lot and always looks off the pace, always got a blokes shirt when hes beat too but his game play too get fouls etc is bang on. CCM is the one i wanna see play more and more hes a great player and will be huge for us if he gets it all correct!

2 Likes

Part of the problem I think, that he would rather put Jules at left back than give CCM a run out. The times I saw Jules at center back, he looked to have some potential, still got a lot to learn, but itā€™s in him I reckon. Heā€™s never a left back with all the will in the world, you only have to look at him to see that.

Regarding CCM, I havenā€™t seen a lot of him to be fair, but there comes a point you are either good enough or not. Still going to be playing second fiddle I reckon seeing as we have signed a left back on loan. Itā€™s a long season though, so hopefully he will get his chances this season.

Not sure about the others but Salfordā€™s money certainly exists.

1 Like