Skinning of bescot bar

Whilst I get why people wouldn’t want Dean Smith, he led us to our first ever Wembley appearance so deserves to be in the conversation.

Would it be possible to get this picture on there? This sums up that whole night and it’s giving a nod to not just Dean Smith but the whole squad. image

I’d also like to see Dean Keates and Martin O’Connor on there personally. Let’s go for obvious legends such as Leitao and also players that are what every Walsall fan stands for, their local pride, hard work and respect for the badge, that’s how people become loved at this club.

5 Likes

He’s just not top three. I’d have Colin Lee over him, for getting us to the edge of the Championship play-offs at Christmas before Bonsewer shat all over him.

7 Likes

Russia v Italy 1966 world cup. Roker Park.

1 Like

Dan, that photo gets my vote as it’s my arm on the left clutching the scarf from 1988 !!

2 Likes

Managers Nicholl, Graydon, Smith
Fellows park, Buckley, Harrison, Kelly, Mower, Taylor
Bescot, Walker, Leitao, o’Connor, Marsh, Butler

Tbf thinking about this I’d rather just pick one or two managers if there’s not an obvious third. Any space left over could be another player or memory from our past.

1 Like

Moore, Buckley and Graydon are three classics.

The Buck will be in as a player, ISSA have already chosen Ray and Chris as managers, the obvious third choice is Bill Moore.

Players from FP, my choice, would be Buck and Stan Bennett (already chosen by ISSA), Gil Alsop, Colin Harrison, David Preece.

From Bescot, Jimmy and Jorge (both chosen by ISSA), and MOC, Marshy and Rambo.

As good as Rambo was for one season possibly two no way he should be ranked above lightbourne or Wilson in fact

Allan Clarke, the most talented and successful footballer ever produced at Walsall.
Otherwise, Bernie Wright.

In addition to those chosen by Issa
Manager Bill Moore
Players from FP Gilbert Alsop, Tony Richards and Colin Taylor
From Bescot Kyle Lightbourne, Martin O’Connor and Adi Viveash (this photo)

Someone must have a sharper image!

Depends what you base the top three on. Put aside the fact that he left for more money and for a job with better prospects (we all do it), he was manager for something which will forever be part of our history and talked about for years to come.

6 Likes

Maybe the 1984 90 minute’s from Europe billboard advert pic should get a place?

8 Likes

I think I would agree with you but Rambo is probably more iconic, in my opinion anyhow.

2 Likes

Great Idea.

As for managers, Ray definitely (not sure about Chris), but you have to include Bill Moore. He was the first manager in the history of the club to win a trophy!

As for players you should include Tony Richards, In December 1998 he was chosen by supporters as Walsall’s Greatest Ever Player. Alan Buckley was runner-up.

Unlike today, Twenty-two years ago there were lots of supporters who had watched both play for Walsall.

In fact because of that, maybe for your Fellows Park choices you should just include the five players who finished in the top five positions in that vote. It would be more representative of who the Fellows Park faithful thought had played a significant role in Walsall’s history.

As for Phil’s point about grainy black and white images, I think there are plenty of good quality professionally taken photographs (action shots and posed) from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

Although 'chunkster’s idea about including team photos is a good one. There are colour photos available of all the great Walsall teams; including Moore’s team of the early 60’s featuring Tony Richards and Colin Taylor etc.

5 Likes