So, 19/20 Squad Currently

Now after a hectic day of wheeling and dealing.

Can anyone get a mock up of how our squad is shaping up and potential starting 11 based on new players and the two friendlies…

Interesting to see depth and where we are left to strengthen

A positive is that we have a squad and there are still 3 weeks to go. No last minute trialists and trying to find a centre half.

Still need a striker (to replace Ferrier) and another winger.

2 Likes

Goalkeepers

Roberts
Rose

Defenders

Norman
Facey
Little
Scarr
Sadler
Clarke
Leak
K.Roberts
Cockerill Mollett
Pring

Midfielders

McDonald
Guthrie
Kinsella
Sinclair
Kiersey
Bates
Hardy
Dobson (for now)

Strikers

Gordon
Adebayo
Ferrier (For now)
Candlin

I think that’s it?

Well there’s still a chance of Chambo being in the squad … https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2019/07/09/walsall-door-open-for-adam-chambers-trial/

Oh and you’ve missed Leak out of the defenders.

Can see us playing 5 at the back with 3 in CM quite a lot next season with Sadler and Guthrie signing, Sadler was a full back last time he was here but very much a CB now and Guthrie, Sinclair and Kinsella as a midfield 3 in league 2 is quality

2 Likes

And Little!

Yes! Will add them in now.

Potential XI

Robbo

Scarr      Clarke      CCM/Sadler

Norman Pring

Kins         Guthrie      Sinco

Elijah       Flash

Facey needs minutes
Kory would be a welcome addition

This is without Mcdonald (who sounds exciting) & couple of the others pushing (Bates etc) also without Ferrier

That’s me basing it on my opinion of last 2 games.

2 Likes

Looks like the 1st eleven basically sorted. The right sided centre back and wing back areas, potentially the two positions which are up for grabs.

In the 2 halves I’ve seen them playing, Clarke has been the right sided CB with Scarr inside him and Leak/CCM on the left.

BTW For a CB, Clarke looks a decent midfielder/wing back! He pushed up a few times with the ball and looked comfortable. Also very noticeably vocal and organising those around him.

2 Likes

Don’t think we’re far off now.

5 Likes

We need Another forward and a winger !!!

1 Like

First 11 still looks a little weak to me , I’d like us to add a couple more potential starters.

1 Like

Only thing for me regarding that team , think it may struggle for goals especially from midfield, defence looks solid .

Got the perfect balance of youth and experience now. Very happy. Add another forward and I think we’re there.

1 Like

Guthrie said in his interview today the manager has told him he’ll use him in front of the back 4 and make use of his passing range etc. He also said that he had others to do his running for him (Sinclair and Kinsella one would guess).

1 Like

Think this is starting to shape up exactly how DC wants it. Interesting that he now has a Right and Left sided CB each comfortable playing in the RB/LB positions meaning his back 3 can become a 4 at any point during a game with one WB tucking in and the other becoming a winger. I would say that the defence is complete. We have Norman and CCM as CB cover and Roberts to come back in. Leak has looked comfortable against non league opposition but it’s a push for him to be ready yet. We have 4 wing back options and 6 full back options (not including Kins)

In midfield, both Bates and Guthrie have been the deepest CM of 3 because DC is looking for someone to hit diagonals to the WBs. Doubt we will see Sinclair or certainly not kins there this season as they aren’t as able to do that but are able to be energetic and Kins will be the box to box player. I think there is still the option for another box to box CM but DC has called his midfield complete by the sounds of it. Hardy is a luxury player and will fit in a number of positions, not quite the number 10 you would build a side around but good enough to provide creativity in a team. One winger and hardy to change formation to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 if needed and it’s good that he’s still looking for another winger to provide competition for this.

Up front, Gordon and Elijah are forming a good partnership and are currently first choice. Candlin needs to be given opportunity it’s but isn’t a starter so another striker is a must. Gordon does play like an experienced player but I think there has to be an older head as the extra front man.

I like the way it’s shaping up atm. We look very strong at the back and mobile in the middle and up top. DC is certainly showing his worth.

10 Likes

CMON ME BABBIES :grimacing:

I’m finding it hard to see where Dobson fits into our squad :joy: