Southampton u-21 (H) EFL Trophy, Tue 1st Oct, 7pm

We drew with Coventry so got a point. They got a “bonus point” for winning the penalty competition.

The professional football equivalent of crazy golf.

Stop the world, I want to get off…

1 Like

Dans Carr passes the test.

Thanks! :grinning:

We play as a team, we win together we lose together, and i think with the full backs scoring all the while, what better way to show the strikers the way, you never know it may strike up a bit of a competition :joy:

2 Likes

Danz Beckenscarr strikes again, not the most entertaining of games tbf I’d say we bossed it, Zac Jules was once again my MOM, Kinsella looked lost out on the right.

Not interested in the game cos I’m still boycotting the competition, but can anyone tell me about the reception that Kory Roberts got when he came on? I hope it was a good one

I imagine the noise must have been deafening

1 Like

Proportionally at least…

Kory Roberts got a loud cheer when he warmed up, and a bigger one when he came on during added time.

I had no idea that this competition was so lucrative for clubs. We get £20,000 just for entering, and every match there is £5,000 for a draw and £10,000 for a win.The sponsors must have money to burn.

What on earth is Kinsella doing out on the wing? We have a lot of defensive midfielders in the squad, but in my opinion Kinsella is by far the best. Obviously Clarke does not agree, fair enough if he prefers Sinclair and Guthrie, but surely he cannot prefer Liddle and Bates in that position. They showed once again last night that they are mediocre at best. And as a winger Kinsella lacks all the necessary skills that are unique to the position. He cannot beat a man with a dribble, he is poor at crosses, he gets a nose bleed when he gets near the opposition penalty area and will rarely score goals.

Think DC was just using this game to test Kinsella in that position.

You mean like the Retired Bog Handlers’ Fund? We’ve been paying into that for many-a-year.

1 Like

I assume you’re referring to Our Honoured Saviour’s Appreciation Payments System. OH SAPS for short.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of money for winning 3 games of football at this level. Didn’t know the money was that high.

Good game time for the likes of Bates and CCM to get minutes in. I’m really feeling for Gordon, That was a poor effort on the 1 on 1, he’s better than that, it’s almost like he tries too hard.

Did Kinsella play out wide then? According to the E&S report he played in the 3 man centre midfield with Liddle and Bates.

McDonald replaced Cockerill-Mollet at half time, and from then on we were 442, with Kinsella and McDonald as wingers.

McDonald showed that he is a natural winger, with talent at dribbling, good close control, cutting inside and shooting and making decent crosses. But like most wingers also liable to make the wrong choices and give the ball away. Kinsella showed that he is a natural defensive midfielder being played out of position.

As for Gordon, he tries hard but is just not a good finisher. He can look a useful enough player but is at his very worst in front of goal, which is not a good thing for a striker. I wonder if he should do what Jordan Cook did after failing to hit the net with any regularity, and drop into midfield.

1 Like

Gordon for me always looks better when he has to be more instinctive. He had so much time with that chance last night but never looked like scoring. He had a similar chance against Barnsley last season and completely fluffed it. Looking back at his goals, the majority are one touch finishes.

As for his all round game, I don’t think he suits being played as part of a two.

Indeed he did - but during the few seconds he was on he didn’t get to touch the ball and get an even bigger cheer, or have time to give us any sort of idea how close he is to coming into the side in terms of match fitness and ability (compared to the rest of the squad and also against where he was before his injury).

Fingers crossed we will be seeing him in proper first team games soon.

1 Like

He will be Massive addition to an already improving team when fit

3 Likes