Southend United (A) Tue 23rd Oct, 7.45pm

"Inside the Halle
. . . catching little nimble shrimps"

(Gilbert)

Now that the pressure to maintain an unbeaten away run is off, Dean Keates and his men look to get back to winning ways at Roots Hall. Southend had a bit of a shaky start to this season, hovering around the bottom 4 in mid-September, but a run of good form has seen them climb to be only 2 points behind ourselves. They have recent Walsall connections, of course, in the shape of ex-Saddlers Jason Demetriou and Sam Mantom. Unusually perhaps, the Southend United captain is their goalkeeper Mark Oxley - I wondered whether we ever had a goalkeeper who was also captain … possibly Mick Kearns? Southend may line up on Tuesday without Irish international Simon Cox, who was red-carded in their most recent match against Coventry City. The Shrimpers’ current league One form:-

Sep 22 Fleetwood Town (H) Won 1-0
Sep 29 Wycombe Wanderers (A) Won 2-3
Oct 2 Burton Albion (A) Won 1-2
Oct 6 Oxford United (H) Drew 0-0
Oct 13 Gillingham (A) Won 0-2
Oct 20 Coventry City (H) Lost 1-2

Our most recent away fixture against Southend United was in March this year, when we came away with 3 points courtesy of a 0-3 win. A repeat of that result would be very welcome, but we will have to find a different scorer as that result was down to a hat-trick from Erhun Oztumer.

After what appeared to be a no-show against Luton Town, positive motivation will no doubt be high on Dean Keates’ agenda. He will also have the option of selecting newly-signed defender/coach Russell Martin, assuming he is match fit. If Martin was watching from the dugout on Saturday he will be aware of some defensive lapses, notably the total lack of marking that led to their second goal. Kieron Morris will probably feel that he deserves 90 minutes on the pitch rather than sitting helplessly on the sidelines.

Prediction? If the team can find that little bit of “mojo” that they showed early in the season, there is no reason why a 0-2 win shouldn’t be on the cards. However, any signs of a “bad day at the office” can only lead to a 1-1 draw at best…

UTS

Can we bounce back after Saturday? That is the question. The answer from me is a partial yes …so a 1-1 is the likely outcome.

We cannot play as bad or not turn up like we did at luton 2 games on the trot so going for draw, bonus will be Simon Cox not playing always seems to score against us.

1 Like

I think a draw aswell…Southend lost to Coventry at home yesterday so not quite as invincible at home as Luton seemingly are.

I think that THEY will want to bounce back from their loss on saturday, so will be up for this one, my heart says a draw but my head says another loss.

1-3
Keeping up the good Tuesday away form.

I’d take a draw

Avoiding being steam rollered for the first 20 minutes is the first priority.
Another new ground for me so deperately hope we are competitive tomorrow unlike Luton. Think Morris should start as I was surprised he did not feature at all on Saturday. He will score winner.

Hmm I don’t like 2 back to back away games, especially Saturday/Tuesday. I don’t have high hopes.

Agree, a draw would be a good result.

We’ve stopped scoring. Morris only scorer in last four league games yet he isn’t getting a kick.

On paper this is easier than Saturday but I would still make some changes in the toothless attacking line up. Ginnelly out Cook out, Ismail out replaced by Morris, Osbourne and Ronan. We’d win far more ball with Osbourne and Kinsella and could link better with Dobson and Ronan feeding Ferrier and Morris.

It’s narrow, maybe too narrow but surprise factor and the fact that lineup can’t score less than nil means it is worth a role with loads of ammo on the bench if needed.

1 Like

Starting to wonder what Morris has done not to get more match time.

2 Likes

What formation is that? I count 4 centre mids, one winger and one striker?

Tonight I’d go for a 4-3-3. Pack that midfield and break quickly.

I’m expecting Martin to not be match fit so I’d go for …

Roberts
Devlin - Fitzwater - Guthrie - Leahy
Rohan - Dobson - Kinsella
Morris - Ferrier - Ginnelly

I have a funny feeling about tonight. I’d take a draw but I’m going to go with a 2-1 win.

1 Like

It’s the old El Tel Christmas Tree. 4321. So the three being Osbourne, Kinsella and Dobson. The two being Rohan and Morris (who would need to split wide when we don’t have the ball) with Ferrier up front.

I just think Osbourne and Kinsella offer great protection. Dobbo gets greater licence to roam and that front three all being something a bit different.

There’s then a well tasty bench with bags of attacking options.

I would just like to see a radical shake up at the top of the pitch. Either some of the lads are tired (they are nearly all playing at a level well above where they have previously played) or we’ve completely lost any elect of surprise and are easily neutered.

1 Like

Top marks for creativity with that one.

Tonight will be one of those games.

We hardly take anyone down there, most fancy a home win - but we go and get a comfortable victory. So, I’m going 3-1.

1 Like

4 changes.

Wilson, Ronan, Osbourne and Morris in.

Devlin, Ismail, Kinsella and Cook out.

4-1-4-1.

2 Likes

Keates must have read PT’s post :smile:

1 Like

Almost from the kick-off … Sloppies 1 Barnsley 0

Bradford City 0 Coventry City 1

Luton Town 1 Accrington Stanley 0