Southend United (H) Friday 19th April, 3pm

Expect us to lose or draw this. Just can’t see another win for the rest of the season unless the players attitudes have drastically changed in a week, which I have also little faith in

Johnson and candlin haven’t played competitive football for months, neither will be up to the pace of a game. Laird? Really? I’m guessing you haven’t seen his last couple of appearances? Commitment? Is not being fit this late in the season a sign of commitment? As for Edwards, I’d like to see him in the team somehow because he can score a goal but not at right back. Take out Devlin and you take out one of our few attacking threats.

4 Likes

Come on boys and girls, we all know in our hearts and heads we’ll lose. It’ll be 1-0 to a 12th minute gift of a goal following another parting of the red sea moment from our ‘defense’. For all you lovers of Latin, ‘Amor Fati’.

1 Like

Thank you for your response Shrops, generally I agree with much that you post on here.

Totally get what your saying about match fitness but the same could be said for Fitzwater and he came in. I didn’t go to Accrington Stanley FC away so I can’t comment on how he played. For me it’s about we need to try something different and bringing in players that haven’t had a chance is one way of doing that. You see it all the time, a new manager comes in and he will invariably bring disenchanted players that haven’t played for most of the season as they have the motivation and desire to prove the previous manager he was wrong.

Your response to my Laird comment. I have seen him come on once as a substitute near the end of it might have been the Fleetwood FC game, he looked really slow and a little suspect. I was purely talking about his personality when I mentioned his commitment. I completely agree with what your saying about not being fit enough at this stage of the season.

Anyway, not being funny with you mate, I guess all I’m doing is genuinely, just like so many others and find some solution to the disaster we find ourselves in. In the end the truth is the players the club has assembled are simply not good enough. However, someone on Facebook the other day challenged me saying they are good enough because of the form they had at the beginning of the season! Who is right?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks likely that our Fate has little love in it these days… Only pain…

No need to apologize for your views, I appreciate them. This is a message board and whilst I like to agree with people at times, I like to be challenged as well, in a nice way, such that I can then re-examine my own views.

I do appreciate your exasperation with the team as well. Unfortunately, thanks to some very poor squad building, I think the starting 11 pretty much picks itself with one or two exceptions.

Anyway, both you and I, and most others, will be hoping that come Monday evening, we’ve picked up 4 or 6 points and are in with a real chance of survival. Here’s hoping…

2 Likes

I’ve gone from “definitely not going” as I trudged away from Accrington last week to “probably going” as tomorrow is the day it will probably be sealed and I like to be there for all the big occasions.

The new formation last week on balance didn’t work. But last week wasn’t about formations or tactics. It was about desire. And in a two horse race we didn’t even get on the podium until after the final whistle.

With Gordon out, I’d give Oteh a go down the throat alongside Cookie in a 442. Zeli and Corey back to the flanks unless Jarvis has got over his penalty miss at Blackpool.

1-2. Booooooo. Disgrace. Not fit to. Etc etc

4,890 (476)

3 Likes

Part of me thinks we will pull a win out of the bag to be honest. But I still can’t see us winning the other required games.

1 Like

I would say that Johnson, having been a bench player before his Sunderland debut, is capable of coming into the team at short notice. I would agree to bring him in for Scarr.

Devlin has to play because their is no better option. Unless Cockerill-Mollett is back then I can’t see Laird doing a better job than Leahy unfortunately.

If it’s a midfield 4 then you can’t play 2 out and out wingers as it leaves full backs exposed and CM over ran. You have to play Edwards one flank and Ismail/Blackett-Taylor the other. Leave the remainder of Ismail/Blackett-Taylor as a trump card from the bench. Edwards has the ability to chip in with a goal and you know you’ll get 100% from him.

I’d also have Candlin in the squad. I can’t stand Ferrier. Nothing worse than a player, who has in no way made it as a league one footballer and for the most part has not been good enough, playing blind passes and showing off. He needs to learn to do the basics right first, can’t believe he was ever an arsenal player.

2 Likes

I am fighting between a side that will win, and a side that deserves a go given the crap we have had to put up with.

If we lose against Southend - I would genuinely end the season with:

Slinn

Vann Scarr Johnson

Sangha Kins Dobson Edwards

Parker Cook Blackett-Taylor

Or maybe less experimentally:

Slinn

Edwards Johnson Vann Cokerill-Mollet (if he can be recalled)

Blackett-Taylor Kins Dobbo Kouyar

Parker Cook.

In fact, I think that side would be a lot better than the shambles we currently put out.

I think the team would really benefit from someone as raw as Parker. I think he looked excellent in pre season and would be a menace all game for their back 4.

1 Like

Maz Kouyar out for months with ruptured knee.

Missed that. Zeli then. Can’t tbink of anyone else.

Thought exactly the same. Ran all game and actually seemed quite up for it - even in friendlies.

Get him in. No pressure on the lad - we are down and out (nearly).

1 Like

Would rather one of our own over someone else’s player like Oteh.

1 Like

Absolutely agree!

Sarfend 11/5 for anyone who fancies one last rush of bloody money from league one. Would get on as none of the other three opponents will be priced as high as that.

To my shame, I got 9/4 for us to be relegated about six weeks ago. Would love not be be collecting my winnings over the next couple of weeks. But if I am, next year’s fourth division season ticket will have been heavily subsidised by William Hill. Which is awfully kind of him.

4 Likes

What I want? Goal scored by a midfielder, cleansheet and win of course. What I’ll probably get? Hard earned draw after own goal.

1 Like

After last weeks debacle and the none existence 2nd half against 10 men Oxford I cannot see this side winning another game sorry, I will be there as usual, but it’s painful to watch this lot.

1 Like