Southend United (H) November 14th, 3pm

I thought he was too lightweight for centre mid but I have to say, whenever I’ve seen him play there I’ve been impressed, particularly Mansfield away where I think that Darrell Clarke tinkering did actually change the game.

He’s so obviously not a right winger and neither is Osedebe from what I have seen. I think you have to play Wes right, Osedebe left, 4-2-3-1 with Holden attacking midfield, leaving your deep lying midfielder to comfortably play that role and have creativity infront of them. It also gives one of Adebayo or Lavery a blow because I don’t think Scrimshaw is up to it.

3 Likes

Better win this or I’m going down the bescot and standing outside with my sack the manager placard socially distanced and masked up obviously :wink: 2-1 win scrimshaw with the winner can’t wait to see what happens when he scores he’s already shall we say very enthusiastic as it is.

Yes, I could live with that although against Southend, I might risk a 4-2-4 with Kinsella and Holden as the 2.

I agree lso about Scrimshaw although he seems well-liked by others. He does not seem to have a goalscorer’s instinct and I hope he proves me wrong.

1 Like

He’s the sort of player fans will love, runs all day, gives 100 percent.

He looks a rabbit in the headlights though whenever he gets a chance. I actually wonder if he’ll end up being more of a wide player than an out and out striker.

1 Like

I agree that he looks clueless at the moment but at least he’s keen. I’m hoping that he could become a Steve Claridge type player (he has a similar gait) but not the 41 year old we signed in our relegation season! To be fair to Scrimshaw, his goalscoring pedigree lower down the footballing pyramid suggests that there might be a player in there somewhere. Hopefully, Southend can be the game where the floodgates open in terms of goals… :soccer::soccer::soccer:

I think Scrimshaw is probably feeling the pressure a little coming into a league team, he looks like one of those players that once the proverbial first goal goes in etc etc.

4 Likes

He is trying too hard at the moment. If he gets a goal then he will calm down a little I hope but I would not write him off as a goalscorer yet.

3 Likes

Shame he didn’t score with that chance that came off the post when he came on at Barrow. I think it would have made a big difference.

1 Like

Ah those were the days, does anyone else remember the time when a Walsall team could score more than one goal?
Who wouldn’t want to see 3-3’s 4-3’s 6-5’s etc than the 1-0 1-1 0-0 boring dirges that have been served up for so long under the current regime?
Hoping that tomorrow might bring an end to the tedium, but not holding my breath… :worried:

3 Likes

At least there is something to look forward to for all our I follow supporters… Alex Nichols is on commentary.:see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Full paid up member of Kinsella fan club last time he was on so no need to guess who he’ll give MOTM.

2 Likes

That was the comment if I remember right … kinnsella is dictating the play or something to that tune… when he was having a mare.

We have scored 2 goals in our last 5 home games in all competitions. Hardly prolific.

Don’t want to burst your bubble but I think we are one of the poorer teams ourselves.

1 Like

No, I don’t think that’s true. You don’t only lose one game out of 11 if you are THAT bad. Take away the idiotic goals we’ve conceded and we’d easily be top 7. Other than FGR and Cambridge, id go as far to say we’ve been the better side in all our games. Possibly Harrogate for periods too.

In short. Lots of reasons to be optimistic rather than pessimistic

2 Likes

Yeah but, you can’t just take out those idiotic goals and think suddenly everything is okay, they’re happening almost every week.

Even without the idiotic goals when it’s 0-0 we hardly look like we’re going to start sticking a few past sides.

Also disagree that we’ve been the better side most games too. Maybe we’ve had more of the ball but we’ve hardly done anything with it.

5 Likes

Up until the barrow game ( minus forest green away) I thought we’ve been the better side in most games and looked like it was a matter of time before we gave someone an hiding but since then we’ve really come off the boil going forward. For me if we don’t win today and comfortable there’s serious questions to be answered from Clarke and the club.

3 Likes

I do believe that if fans had been able to witness the recent soulless dirges, both the players and the manager would have been receiving a degree of pelters from the fans before now.
It is correct that we have had ‘most of the ball’ and ‘been on top’ for a lot of those games but our appalling inability to put away chances has been so bad that a lot of UTS’s have admitted that they have lost interest. Poor management is the reason. Over to you DC.

2 Likes

That’s exactly where I was, we looked decent but seem to have regressed if late.

Daryl has to let the shackles off and stop being afraid of losing.

1 Like

One of my favourite games was in the Coakley promotion season. A night game at home to Port Vale. We were 2-0 down just before half time, then Kelly glanced in a header for 1-2 at HT. We won 5-2 with 4 goals in 20 minutes and lots of other good chances.

Somehow, we do not really expect that now.

1 Like