Stan Blandford

He was the SATNAV for the reporters.Paul Marston told me of one trip to Crystal Palace when they got held up in traffic and they would not have got to Selhurst Park without Stan’s help for the KO… Selhurst Park is difficult enough to find anyway (well it was before SATNAVS) and Stan directed them through the back streets of Croydon to get there!!! When I used to go to away games often if I was unsure of the route and where to park Stan would either give me directions over the phone or provide with a map. I still have the ones for Northwich and Ipswich.
He is not tech savvy and I don’t think he wants to be .As you say he loves newspapers especially those local ones with football news in them. He often used to tell me of information he had picked from papers like the Sheffield Star,Northern Echo etc.

Hope that he’s okay. I first met him when he came up to Hull for an England U21 game at the KC stadium in 2004. A UTSer who no longer posts (friend of Geoff Whiting but can’t remember his name) had set it up and Stan & 3 others came and had tea beforehand at our house. Mrs Hullsaddler was slightly apprehensive about 4 random Walsall supporters coming but they were all very well behaved! I then went to the game with them. After that I always said hello or had a chat with Stan when I saw him at the games I go to. I wish him all the best.

Didn`t go to all the games but next year i have supported Walsall 60 years.

3 Likes

Remember Stan well. Hope he recovers soon.

He remembers you well. You gave me some support privately a year or two back which you may recall. I mentioned you to Stan after that incident and he told me about tea party!! I will pass on your best wishes . I was going to ring him Sunday but will ring him shortly to tell him of all the good wishes on here.

1 Like

I’ve never met him but think I recognise him from games looking at the picture… hope he recovers soon!

The 1000+ consecutive games is a fantastic achievement!

1 Like

I have spoken to Stan this morning and he has asked me to thank everyone for their good wishes. He has also asked me to tell you that he is awaiting hip replacement operations and that is the reason for his tenure in the nursing home. Mentally he is in good shape and once the operations are done he intends to be back with us all. He is hoping, NHS provided, to be back well before the end of the season.

17 Likes

Absolute top man is Stan. Wishing him all the best.

4 Likes

No problem mate. Such sad news.
Can’t remember ever going to a game and not seeing him. There. ,

1 Like

I thought he was our new striker signing when I first saw the headline! I wish Stan all the best. I hope he’s got access to iFollow.

2 Likes

I dealt with Stan a number of times at work when he was still with the Council. Always a proper gent.
Get well soon, Stan.

2 Likes

I only ever go to a few away games in Yorkshire. On each occasion I used to get a friendly nod and acknowledgment from him. Get well soon Stan

1 Like

I’m sure he’d rather have been there today, but I think Stan picked the right one to miss and break his sequence.

I think the team paid an unconscious tribute to him by not turning up themselves!

5 Likes

I can tell you one thing. Stan would have taken it all in his stride…mind you when I ring him tomorrow I think my language will be somewhat colourful. :wink: It will be difficult to find sufficient adjectives to describe what went on for the final 75 minutes.

Although I am nowhere near Stan’s level of commitment over the years, I am as near enough an ever-present myself as I’ve been able to be for the last 30 years or so, and therefore I understand what it means to miss a game, even one as bad as today!

1 Like

The club have sent Stan a card signed by the manager and the players. At least they can do something right.

13 Likes

Our Manager and players or Birmingham’s?

2 Likes

For those interested in some more nostalgia the first part of Stan’s memoirs in on the Trust website.This part takes us up until 1968. There is much more to come!!

3 Likes

I’ve only just joined the forum and am very sad indeed to hear this about Stan. If anyone has any updates they would be gratefully received.

1 Like