Stephen Ward signs

I agree but not sure there will be many more like that.

The earning power in the EPL and the relative pennies at our level means that players aren’t financially motivated to drop through the leagues as they once were.

As a complete guess I reckon Kevin Wilson might have been on over 50 per cent with us of what he would have been on at his absolute height a Chelsea. Whereas I reckon for Ward it will be less than 10%. Which in many ways is a very promising thing as it relates to Ward. It suggests a motivation that transcends money.

3 Likes

Well feck me ……… wim building a bloody good team. I’m so excited for this season to start

Not many players joining Walsall that’s made 50 full international apps.
Clayton Ince and Barry Horne did I think, after that I’m struggling although I’m sure there’s plenty of obvious others I’ve missed!

1 Like

Clayton Ince , definitely , he was great for us

2 Likes

Good read. Encouraged by him starting well at Ipswich, it went downhill but they all seemed to so not too fussed. He’ll do a good job at this level, very happy with this signing. Can’t see many sides having a better back four, and our midfield would be right up there too. Please get the forwards right and this could be a very good season.

7 Likes

Top signing this.

I’m sure someone floated his name in rumours section a few weeks back (same with Ash Taylor) as I remember saying after a home game a few years back I was dropped off by Little Aston co-op to get some booze. Went in, got a crate and went to pay. Looked to my left and there was Stefan Gamble. To my right was Stephen Ward in full Burnley tracksuit as think they were playing West Brom away that day. He also had a crate in his hand. :joy: Football’s a funny old game sometimes isn’t it.

Of course it could go all Russell Martin but loads of other clubs sign these sorts of experienced pros and do o.k with them, Cambridge with Wes Hoolahan last season springs to mind. Ward was still a regular for Burnley two years ago in premier league and even last season he played 30 games for Ipswich in league 1 so he’s still at a level far beyond most players we’ve seen in last 5 years. Think Matt Taylor was at Burnley for a year just before he retired so that’s another link.

What I like is Taylor is adopting the same no nonsense messing around for backline that this level that Dosh had, no gambling on youth or mediocre defenders, getting in proven leaders who can do the ugly stuff no problem. Just needs a solid keeper and the 06/07 clean sheets could yet be bettered by what is being created here.

Big :+1: for the summer business so far. Got me all giddy about Kiddy. Will be getting my ticket for that over the weekend.

2 Likes

The amazing thing about Chiellina is that he had a serious ACL injury at 36 which would have finished most players at that level. I take my hat off to him.

When I read the ‘Ipswich exit interview’ about Ward, I’m encouraged far more than nervous.

"Ward brought balance, composure, an air of calm and vast experience".

“He moved up and down the left flank with control and, on a number of occasions, made it into the box to shoot having also get past his winger on the overlap to cross on a regular basis”.

“Ward is a model professional and all those who worked with him this season will surely have benefited from his approach to the game both on and off the pitch”.

His dip in form following his injury or the type of injury doesn’t concern me too much. It couldn’t have been a serious Achilles injury if he returned after 3 weeks, although it does seem a short recovery time to get back to match fitness for a younger player, never mind a 34 year old. Seems more like desperation on Ipswich’s part to have him back in the side and perhaps not surprising that he didn’t immediately hit the same levels.

Another solid signing, huge experience and ability and listening to his interview, he spoke with the calm assuredness of someone who believes in what he’s joined up to.

4 Likes

That’s a good point.

Someone like Byfield was still at Villa late 1998 trying to break into first team squad. 18 months dropped down two divisions to join Walsall but probably not a huge reduction in salary for those times.

Now any fringe young striker at premier league club is already on 20k so impossible to get those signings even on season long loan.

2 Likes

He has the maturity not to hold a scarf over his head.

Pretend wash

1 Like

I’m sure Staunton had over 100.

After that I’m struggling too. The others that might be there or thereabouts would include Paul Hall, Steve Corica and Kevin Wilson but whatever, Ward is in a very small band indeed.

1 Like

Fantastic signing this.
Still lives locally in four Oakes so assume this may have helped us.
Pure quality and a model pro.
Signings like this really do make the difference I believe from a good season to a brillliant season.

3 Likes

Good job we got the drainage sorted out, otherwise he might have stormed off without signing.

A balanced view and to accept it might be a good singing, it might not?

Stauntons a bad example, he was ■■■■■■■ ■■■■

1 Like

He would likely have walked into last season’s team aged 51 and scored more goals than Josh Gordon.

3 Likes

A few years ago I was on a flight from Dublin Staunton was one of the last passengers on so had to shoe horn himself into a middle seat the size of him then I bet he’d struggle to walk anywhere

“but his Town career ends in the same way Alan Judge’s did, with the Irishman stood down before making the one further start required to trigger an extra year in his deal.” Bonseresque

4 Likes

We are building up quite an Irish contingent: Kinsella, Osadebe, Wilkinson, Ward…

Let’s hope their eyes are smiling at the end of the season.

Next signing is likely to be Danny Bhoy then! :wink::grin:

1 Like