Stephen Ward signs

Reminds me of when we signed Colin Gibson and Neil Pointon good signing for me

5 Likes

This side is what we would have in the first division and we would have no worry’s.

Good shout. Especially the Gibson comparison.

It feels like a very measured gamble to me. The maximum upside significantly greater than the maximum downside.

4 Likes

With the quality of the players we have already signed, i can’t wait to see who is going to fill the striker and goalkeeper roles

1 Like

Not worried about his age as his quality will more than make up for that … :+1:t2:

1 Like

It’s the training ground that did it “been in training in with the lads for a couple of days, having a look at the place”

They’ve all mentioned the word project so far,it’s like Matt has asked the older lads if they fancy one last hurrah in their careers,one last chance to get a promotion on their CV’s and one last chance to turn a club that’s dropped down the ladder round and be part of history he’s certainly got a way with words has our gaffer.

1 Like

Age has effected better players than Stephen Ward.

Very solid signing. Who cares about his age? How old will a certain Giorgio Chiellini be next month? 37!
Experience & quality is just what we need in the defence.

True but he’s playing in a farmers league tbf.

Neil Pointonesque. Let’s hope Stephen Ward has the same effect.

3 Likes

Can’t ask for much more than that really can we?

1 Like

I thought exactly the same. Neil Pointon especially brought experience, leadership and was as solid as a rock for us. He played a huge part in helping us get promoted automatically under Sir Ray. Let’s hope for a similar scenario…

2 Likes

Here we go again , what do people on here really expect ? He’s always been a top player he’s 35 not 45 , load’s of teams have players of a similar or older age but without his quality .

6 Likes

Great signing I think. Yes, his age makes it a gamble, maybe, but we’re Walsall, we couldn’t have signed him at 25 or 30, this is the first time we have realistically had a chance at getting him. He has the quality to do the job, has a great attitude, I think it’s a gamble well worth taking. Downside is we have a player for a year who has run out of steam and can no longer do it even at our level, upside is he has plenty in the tank and leads us to the top three and has the kind of season Pointon had in 98-99 and Brightwell had in 00-01.

You only have to look at Peter Clarke at Tranmere who is 41 and him playing 40+ games last season captaining them and getting to the play offs means age is just a number.

2 Likes

Lets face it, compared to most of us on here they are still just kids :grin:

4 Likes

I’d just be worried with us going into the season with a 35 year old off the back of an injury hit season where he had an achilles injury, which is usually the kind of injury that really affects the legs of older players - as our only left back.

He’s 35 not 50.
No serious injuries in his career.

The amount of proven quality we have in defence and throughout midfield is palpable.

We are possibly a couple of signings away from a sqaud to rival 2006, and also one that could form a basis for making the step up (which is now massive) and importantly having a basis to stay there.

Early days but hugely encouraging recruitment.

10 Likes

I am sure, like any player that signs the Management will know about his fitness. He may not be used in some games, EFL Trophy and maybe some games he will be rested or subbed if we are winning comfortably. He has a good playing record and is clearly captain material. In fact we have leaders in a number of positions and several youngsters with bags of energy who can learn a lot from players like Ward. Our “over the hill mob” include Mountfield, Brightwell, Pointon and many more who have contributed hugely to this football club.

3 Likes