Stevenage (H) Wednesday 2nd December, 7pm

"Paid me dues, done the miles,
Shed the tears, worn the smiles,
Shook me 'ead in despair, praise
Times I’ve had on BORO DAYS"

(Louis Spence)

I appreciate that Stevenage dropped the “Borough” from their name a few years back, but you try finding a quote with “Stevenage” in it … be that as it may, we welcome them to Bescot on the back of their noteworthy performance in winning (on penalties) against Hull City, and thus progressing to the 3rd round of the F. A. Cup. Their League 2 situation is still a bit dodgy, struggling in 21st place with only 11 points to show from their 14 games. Current League form looks like this:-

October 27th Harrogate (A) Drew 0-0
October 31st Grimsby Town (H) Drew 0-0
November 3rd Colchester United (A) Lost 3-1
November 14th Morecambe (A) Drew 1-1
November 21st Bolton Wanderers (H) Lost 1-2
November 24th Port Vale (H) Won 2-1

Stevenage are comparative newcomers to the Football League, so there aren’t many players who have appeared for both clubs. There have been a few loans in common though, and it’s likely that Aramide Oteh will feature for 'Boro (on loan from QPR, as he was when he was on loan to us). Previous players include Scott Laird and Robin Shroot. There don’t seem to be any managers-in-common, partially because Stevenage’s managerial history is almost monopolised by Graham Westley, with four appointments at their helm.

Darrell Clarke and his squad have had a Saturday off, of course, but the point gained at League 2 leaders Newport County (or 2 points dropped) was a welcome change from some of the dross served up earlier in the month. Speculation has been widespread that Jack Rose may be given a chance to show his prowess after Liam Roberts’ apparent howler at Rodney Parade. This game marks the beginning of December, which was touted as a possible return to fitness of Josh Gordon (fingers crossed), but there will probably have to be some tinkering in midfield as Rory Holden may be suspended following his booking at Newport. Tinkering? Well, obviously there will be some tinkering, it wouldn’t be a Darrell Clarke team without, would it?

Prediction? We were widely predicted to hammer Southend United at home, and look how that turned out. This match is almost in that category, but in the never-ending spirit of optimism prevalent on these pages let’s hope for a 2-0 home win, with goals from Scrimaldo and Elijaaaaaaahhhhh…

UTS

3 Likes

Rose has to start.
Walsall 2-1 Stevenage.

3 Likes

I’m not sure he will drop Roberts, it’s the one position he doesn’t tinker with. There is obviously reason to consider a change there, but dropping a keeper after such a clanger can be pretty damaging, I expect him to give him another chance.

Even if there are no fans and we can play pretty much anytime, playing on a Wednesday still feels odd. I think we will draw 1-1 but hope we can grind a win out of it, things will look a lot better if we can.

Back to the grind of avoiding a relegation place for Stevenage, they will be shattered after extra time and penalties on Sunday.
So, a chance for our new found confidence to come to the fore with a win? Not a chance, agree with Blazing, 1-1 draw, just hope that we don’t ‘do’ another Southend. If we do, god forbid, it could be Darrell’s last outing as a Walsall manager.
Like the draw for the 3rd Round in that strange ‘F.A. Cup’ thingy,(a party that we never seem to get invited to) we have the excitement of Tinkerman’s ‘names out of the hat’ comedy routine to look forward to prior to the actual match!

2-0
Has to be.
7:00 KO (8 here) works nicely for me. Couple of beers in the boozer after golf til 6 and a bit of tay before the game starts.

2 Likes

Same starting lineup as against Newport but with Rose in goal.

FTFY :grin:

1 Like

Have i ever said we don’t play well against lower league teams?

1 Like

Got 1-1 draw written on it.

I’m not exactly confident, can’t see much in the game. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we win comfortably, maybe their extra time exploits will go against them.

2 Likes

Nah m8, Stevenage will be knackered after playing the mighty Hull.

Walsall win.

2 Likes

I am not jealous of all that one bit!!:disappointed_relieved::thinking::laughing:

1 Like

Loads of half pints of Belgian beers in the boozer after golf til 6 and a bit of tay before the game starts.

FTFY as well …

1 Like

Don’t be so ■■■■■■■ smug :wink:

1 Like

Don’t buy any lottery tickets!!
Mind you, we all stand more chance of winning the lottery than we do of seeing Tinkerman starting with the same line up two games on the trot!

1 Like

Looking at the table there’s no obvious second relegation candidate, Stevenage are probably the nearest, so pretty important we get 9 points clear of them IMO. Anything but a win will mean 1 win in 12 in all comps and we’re steadily sliding down towards a relegation scrap.

6 Likes

We’ll give them a goal.
Can we score two?
If we can’t, then
Tinkerman has gorra gew!

3 Likes

Like ourselves, Stevenage have won one game in their last six matches.
It’s a game we should win and must win to keep distance with the leading pack.
I’m still mad at Roberts and would drop him for this game, Rose is a more than decent replacement.
That would be the only change I’d make from the Newport game.

1 Like

Pretty sure Robbo was dropped at some point in the 6 match losing run last season but he quickly returned.

Ultimately it was a terrible error and cost 2 points so I’d be more surprised if he’s kept in as majority of managers would change keeper in that situation.

As for the game simply can’t afford to mess this up like Southend. Stevenage have beaten Vale and Hull in their last two so better than they were start of season so won’t be easy at all.

Get the feeling it’s going to be 2-2 and nervously looking as 23rd team starts to creep even closer.

1 Like

Me, smug? :joy::joy:

I’m making the most of it as I’ll be quarantining first two weeks at the end of the month :frowning:

6 Likes

Looks crap there anyway Belphs , who wants all that sun at this time of year eh … much nicer in Brownhills anyway

2 Likes