Summer Recruitment

Is matt Jordan actually the DOF and will be in charge of transfers. Anyone know or is that someone else’s job :grinning:

Some decent ones available here.Bailey Cargill could do a job

1 Like

Cargill or Moore Taylor would be alright next to Daniels

2 Likes

It’s 2 in 30 appearances.

Absolutely terrible.

We can do, much, much better.

Scored 10 before Christmas, didn’t he? :wink:

2 Likes

You’ve got to loff at old Crodley
DJT running out to Dua Lipa
What on earth goes on in that head of his :joy::joy:

3 Likes

So, in answer to my question, i had no idea that he’d made 30 consecutive appearances, but thanks for informing me.

I wouldn’t take Cargill or Moore Taylor. Both too slow. But I would take Godwin-Malif and Ben Stevenson.

I’d also take Norris from Stevenage all day long.

2 Likes

Wasn’t he in Lord of the Rings?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of a pre season making you faster when you run

To be competitive, we need 2 first choice strikers, 2 wide men, 2 centre mids, a centre half, maybe 2, and 2 full backs left and right. Pretty much a whole team.

2 Likes

This always puzzles me, as my logic says this:
Pre season is for players to get fit for the new season, having had a few weeks holiday. Pre season friendlies are there to get them match fit…
Presumably, a player that has been out for a few months will be getting their pre season training before being selected to play, and their match fitness in their first few games, which often they play only part of. A competitive league game is surely going to get someone match fit far quicker than a pre season knock about.
So, using Stevens as an example (or Wilko), they should be as fit as they are likely to be 6-8 weeks after coming back into the first team. That’s not to say they will be as good as before their injury, but to me that’s a different debate.

I think it’s different because of 2 things - the intensity and the type of training.

Pre-season will naturally start slowly and gradually build up the players until they are ready for competitive action in pre-season friendlies and then peaking ready for the first match. The idea is for progressive loading of their muscles, ligaments and tendons such that they avoid injury.

Secondly, there will be very different types of training in pre-season compared to during the season. During, there will be far more emphasis on using the ball, getting set ups right, practicing match situations. Pre-season will have far more of a mix with fitness type training.

So I think it can be difficult to pitch a player in at the right time if he hasn’t had a pre-season regime with the rest of the squad and, as we saw with Wilkinson, the upshot can be injury reoccurrence.

2 Likes

Well, keep praying and you may just get that answer!

As @ShropsSaddler says - pre seasons are about loading muscles to prevent injury and built a level of fitness that is ready for long-term competitive action.

But in recent years it’s become an excuse for players being crap, quite frankly. A player not being up to match fitness when he first comes back from injury is fine, that’s expected, but after regular exposure to first team games and training, he should be sharp.

Stevens never looked sharp, IMO he looked like his injuries had done him in. Quite frequently this happens to higher level players who still possess the technical ability to be decent players (in the absence of the physical attributes), but for Stevens I reckon he could be done. He was regularly getting outpaced by centre halves - slower even than Andy Williams.

2 Likes

What’s the point. ‘might’ just be acceptable in league 2 but when Forest green went up they were virtually down in November. So you could never give them a 2 yr contract.

We have to do better than players like this otherwise we will never go up

He’s definitely a good player at this level, quick, strong, left footed CB or LB, can play in a 2 or 3 and also gets forward pretty well.
Spoke to a couple of Forest Green fans this was what one said about him.

Anyone take miller back is Doncaster aren’t interested in keeping for a small fee?
If we can get first 15 matches he played for he he was class above anyone except adebayo and dj we’ve had t this level

I’d take George back. Good hard working forward. He misses a few though…

Troy Deeney has been released