Summer Transfer Rumours 2022

I would rather distance ourselves from any Oxford transfers, they stitched us up last time.
They would probably be acting like the firing squad scene in blackadder goes fourth

2 Likes

I believe Flynn will go after players he know and they impact they could provide.
We desperately need a striker, have done since Cook left. Miller did ok but he wouldn’t be the first choice, missed way too many glaring opportunities for my liking. Only if Barnsley dive us a freebie I would that deal otherwise I’m not bothered.
It will be really interesting to see the retain/release list.

1 Like

If Solihull don’t go up then Andrew Dallas would be an exciting one, only 22 and 14 goals in 33 this season.

I do think it hinges on the CF given how badly last season started due to the lack of one so I do actually think club will make big effort to get one in by start of August, more so with Wilkinson’s injury.

1 Like

We should of gone in for Dallas when he was at Weymouth on loan.

1 Like

That’s an interesting one, I’d much rather go for something like that than a journeyman that’s already gone around the clubs, or one of Newport’s ex players that weren’t quite good enough to go up even then.

It’s a risk, for every Jack Earing there is a James Hardy, but I’d rather take the risk on a player that might not be good enough than one that never was.

Probably room for both given WIlko won’t feature until right at the end.

Rodney has shown very little so far so you bump him down to 3rd choice. Miller obviously needs to be replaced so would imagine Flynn will go for experienced striker and then look for a Dom Telford type who may not have had a fair run yet.

Guy showed at Newport he could pick up reasonable strikers no issue on limited budgets so simply must be backed otherwise it’s all just hot air again from Pomlett and co.

You’ve more faith in our club than I do.

Well it will be laughable claiming there’s a promotion challenge when club will yet again be operating with less out and out strikers than this season!

Just having Rodney coming off the bench isn’t good enough so no good Pomlett doing his usual mid season sermon saying team should be 10 points better off whwn 14th at xmas…maybe they would be if a decent forward signed who could turn the endless 1-1s into wins.

Get that position right and as we saw when Bradshaw hit the ground running how much other areas of the team can grow in confidence.

It was laughable this season but it still happened.

2 Likes

In fairness Matt Taylor genuinely believed Wilkinson could actually play as a number 9 at start of the season (despite the player giving endless interviews that he didn’t want to play there) so that’s youthful naivety right there.

Flynn been around the block way longer so no chance he makes same mistake unless hierarchy dosen’t allow it of course…

Think it’s important in all of this we try to use the loan market to our best ability. Rushworth has been an excellent loan addition and with some key players already out I think we can get some temporary additions until our own players return.

2 Likes

And in fairness to Taylor, he didn’t do the recruitment. Youthful naivity it may be, but that was the point of a Director of Football, to say “hold on, I don’t agree with you there so we’re going to go for A, B and C”. However, that’s all in the past now and neither are at the club, but a proper manager seems to be so who knows. I think that is what it is going to take to overcome this naive board.

@geordiesaddler for head scout

Ps: we’ll need bigger & better coffins :coffin: if we don’t sign a striker & lose the first three

1 Like

Hopefully we aren’t dead in the water.

1 Like

I’m picking this transfer season is the club’s biggest since Pomlett took over. Fans have absolutely backed a moribund club, through Covid, and now expect a return to form. Years of steady decline need to be arrested, and turned round. Leigh - that means on the board as well as the pitch. It’s not as if they’ve given you great advice, or service, so far, is it?

5 Likes

Agreed @Exile this is a huge summer.

2 Likes

Looking at new players before the season ends, he must be told this is not the Walsall way.

Port Vale think Dom Telford is theirs. Could explain MF"s comments about PV"s budget.