Summer Transfer Rumours / Confirmed 2023

Old Ken ran a tight ship, but there was money available at times, and during his tenure we signed several big names, Alun Evans, Mick Bates, Roger Hynd, Ally Brown to name a few.
Plus we had money to sign the likes of Steve Cherry, Dave Bamber (whoops, I didn’t say they were all a success), Dave Syrett, Terry Austin, Steve Waddington, Kenny Beech, Peter Hart.
And we could always get a few decent “rejects” when the local teams were happy to let them go, paid money at times too, Nicky Cross, Kev Summerfield, Phil Hawker, Ian Handysides, Gary Childs, Sugar Robinson.
And all the time presiding over a club that had an excellent youth policy.
And we signed Alan Buckley twice while Ken was in charge.
And we appointed Dave Mackay as manager about 21 months after he lifted the league title with Derby.

I know the relationship soured towards the end, but I liked him whilst not being blind to his faults, and when you consider the mess we were in when he took over I think he stands up well compared to Jeef or Omelette.

Anyhow, I think he ran the club in the way it needed to be run, and calling him a skinflint is too simplistic.

10 Likes

Although I remember Wheldon being chairman, I was young at the time. He was remembered for what happened at the end, but I do remember my Dad saying to me, that in hindsight he put money into the club rather than what we ended up with which was someone taking it out.

I read a great post by @Pedagogue I think it was some time back about his plans to move us forward and build us a new ground, which was rejected several times.

5 Likes

1 OWEN EVANS 30 JUNE 2024 (We can do better)
35 GEORGE BARRETT SCHOLARSHIP WALSALL ACADEMY 30 JUNE 2024 (?)
2 HAYDEN WHITE 30 JUNE 2023 (Release)
LIAM GORDON 30 JUNE 2024
5 DONERVON DANIELS 30 JUNE 2024
6 EMMANUEL MONTHÉ 30 JUNE 2023 (1 more year)
18 OISIN MCENTEE 30 JUNE 2024
24 JOE LOW 31 MAY 2023 (Please return)

ROLLIN MENAYESE 30 JUNE 2024 (Better than Low)

JOE FOULKES 1 JULY 2021 WALSALL ACADEMY 30 JUNE 2023

4 JOSS LABADIE 30 JUNE 2023 (Release)
7 JOE RILEY 30 JUNE 2024
8 LIAM KINSELLA 30 JUNE 2023 (Back up sub only?)
10 TOM KNOWLES 30 JUNE 2024
14 BRANDON COMLEY 30 JUNE 2024
16 JACOB MADDOX 30 JUNE 2023 (as Hutchinson?)
17 JACK EARING 30 JUNE 2023 (Injury prone / release)
31 ROBBIE WILLMOTT LOAN NEWPORT COUNTY 31 MAY 2023 (Return)

YANN SONGO’O LOAN BRADFORD CITY 31 MAY 2023 (Return)

20 SAM PERRY 1 JULY 2020 WALSALL ACADEMY 30 JUNE 2023 (Release)
21 TAYLOR ALLEN 30 JUNE 2023 (1 more year)
23 ISAAC HUTCHINSON 30 JUNE 2025
25 RONAN MAHER 19 AUGUST 2022 WALSALL ACADEMY 30 JUNE 2025
9 CONOR WILKINSON 30 JUNE 2023 (Release)
11 ANDY WILLIAMS 30 JUNE 2023 (please release)

JAMILLE MATT 3O JUNE 2024

15 DOUGLAS JAMES-TAYLOR LOAN STOKE CITY 31 MAY 2023( more time required)

MATTY STEVENS LOAN FOREST GREEN ROVERS 31 MAY 2023

22 JONAS MUKUNA 30 JUNE 2023 (?)
27 TIMMY ABRAHAM 30 JUNE 2023 Release

I wonder what the alternative history of WFC would be, if he’d managed to build us a new ground?

Ally Brown’s was probably unique. We gazumped Wolves for him.

1 Like

Wasn’t his photo in the E&S wearing a Wolves shirt and then within 24 hours or so he’d signed for us?

2 Likes

@willenhall1

positive spin: we’re able to get rid of a lot of dead wood in the summer.

Negative spin: the players know this and some have already downed tools.

Solution: give some of our youngsters a bit of game time!

1 Like

It depends how much they can lose before calling it a day?

1 Like

Shouldn’t be allowed.

1 Like

I agree
But it never happens to us, would i like a film star to come in and spend millions on getting us into a higher league? probably
But we are always the bridesmaid never the bride

1 Like

My feeling too JT. And even in the early Bonser years we found the money when it mattered to bring in a bit of quality to give us the edge we needed to challenge for promotion - MOC, big Colin, Wayne Clarke, Kevin Wilson and killer in the Hibbitt days (we struggled at times but at least we played a bit of football and got to the play offs) and both Sir Ray and Dicky Dosh (at least to begin with) were backed when required. But Pomlett and co have just seemed to stick with the miserly attitude Bonser moved to in the dog days - and despite the takeover it seems to continue.

2 Likes

That’s right, you just know that if / when they pull out it will be another Bury FC .
Suppose they are enjoying the ride at the moment though.

1 Like

What annoys me @chunkster is the lack of ambition shown by our club, despite the American ownership.

For example, Wrexham have the Kings of Leon playing this summer at their ground. They are also playing a friendly in San Diego v Man Utd.

We have hosted Elton John and The Wonder Stuff, so it can be done. There also used to be the links with Pete Waterman and people pay good money to see bands from the 1980s!

Why can’t we host more concerts? We have a central location, decent network links and a good sized car park.

Becky Hill and Jorja Smith are both global superstars who hail from Walsall. Jorja has collaborated with Drake and Becky has an X Factor style show on the BBC. We have American owners who know how to put on a show and our match day announcer Simon Hill has links with both boxing and wrestling.

Sort out a tour to Barbados (Kyle Lightbourne links), get Aerosmith or some big rock festival going on!

Walsall Football Club: wake up and do SOMETHING!!!

7 Likes

But we have the world famous market :laughing: :wink:

3 Likes

The starting squad for next season:
OWEN EVANS (best keeper we’ve had since Etheridge)
LIAM GORDON
DONERVON DANIELS
OISIN MCENTEE
ROLLIN MENAYESE (I’d forgotten he would still be with us)
JOE RILEY
TOM KNOWLES
BRANDON COMLEY
ISAAC HUTCHINSON
RONAN MAHER
JAMILLE MATT

The debate will be over who to keep and who to release from:

EMMANUEL MONTHÉ
JACK EARING
LIAM KINSELLA
JACOB MADDOX
CONOR WILKINSON

If they all played to their potential, then we wouldn’t be where we are in the league.
Plus we can’t tie up valuable wages, so I’d only keep Monthe and I’d try to offload Menayese.

The Saddlers Club donated the money for Martin O’Connor. If I remember rightly someone contributed towards Wayne Clarke’s wages, I can’t remember exactly though.

The sale of Dean Smith helped fund Kevin Wilson.

I guess Pomlett can and is pointing to Covid why money has not been reinvested. I agree with you though, we need to break out of this negative cycle we are in. Sign some players that actually get you off your seat and give you a reason to look forward to going to games.

1 Like

Good I hope they keep losing money and ditch the club.Its a joke how much the likes of Mullin are on for that division.

3 Likes

Get bring me the horizon and spice girls down the bescot !

1 Like

Elton John was a Troy Deeney cash scam

Do we really want loans? They always seem to benefit the parent club more than us.

2 Likes