Sunderland (A) FA Cup 2nd round replay, Tue 11th Dec 7.45pm

"Lewis Carroll started his journeys to China from Sunderland. In fact he thought of the title for
’Alice in Wonderland’ when he thought of Sunderland and changed the first letter.
Thank goodness he wasn’t travelling to Nanking."

Humphrey Lyttelton (I’m sorry I haven’t a clue)

We have our third meeting with the Black Cats in less than 3 weeks as we head off to the Stadium of Light to decide who has the honour of visiting Bolton Wanderers in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Currently in 3rd place in the League One table (but with a couple of games in hand over 2nd placed Luton Town) the opinion of some Sunderland fans is that it really won’t matter if they exit this competition - promotion is far more important in the long term. Their current form is well-known - just look back at the match previews available … nothing changed after their most recent game, as they were 1-1 with Accrington Stanley (in front of a record crowd) when the heavens opened and the referee decided the pitch was unplayable.

Dean Keates will have carried out his detailed post-match analysis of the Coventry City game by the time this match gets under way, and it will be interesting to see his reactions in terms of team selection. According to the Excuse & Stir George Dobson was missing because of injury, so his selection is possibly doubtful, and it has also been suggested that Andy Cook’s position is also problematic because of previous bookings in this competition. What is certain is that the squad’s morale will be on a high after the dramatic 2-1 win on Saturday, although it was noticeable that one or two players were often more of a liability than an asset (no names, no packdrill).

Prediction? If the Saddlers play in the same format (and with the same attitude) that we saw in the 2nd half against the Sky Blues, we are quite capable on winning this one - even in the 4th minute of added time :wink: However, if the 1st half performance of that game is repeated there would seem little hope of a Walsall win, or even a dangerous attack. Going on “In Dean we trust”, I’ll predict a 0-1 away win, with Liam Roberts (again) winning the man-of-the-match award.

7 Likes

Cannot see us winning this one…Cook suspended,Dobson injured and Fitzwater not available so I think a 0-2 is likely.

I will be there for my sins. Back in work Wednesday morning. Grim.

I can’t see us getting anything out of this, it all depends on how both teams approach the game, if we play to our best ability then maybe but if sunderland play to their best with the quality they have :disappointed:

It’s a million to one chance, and if you know anything about million to one chances, it’s that they always come off! 3-2 win. No pitch invasion. Chips and pies won’t run out.

3 Likes

I was quite confused on this one. I always thought if 75 minutes are played the result stands but apparently not. What are the rules?

According to Law 7 of the IFAB Laws of the game - “The duration of the match”, the ruling is that “An abandoned game is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise”.

Thanks, not sure where I got my understanding from.

2-0 loss unfortunately.

Not particularly hopeful for this one - let’s focus on the play-offs…

I agree not expecting us to win … if we did though think it would give our young team a massive boost and fill them with confidence and most of all BELIEF that they can beat anyone in the run up to Xmas and put us in a great position for the new year . UTS

I can see this being a bit of a hammering to be honest. Particularly without Cook and Dobson and our poor midweek away game record.

I’m really not even sure what the best formation would be. 4-3-3 worked first leg and we started with that against Cov but I doubt he will stick to it without Cook and considering we only came into the game after switching to a diamond.

3-1 to home side - Russell Martin to be mascot then captain then take up the role of keeper cos he fancies a go in the nets this week and was a little tired after chasing shadows after last Saturday.
Walsall goal from a penalty taken by Russell Martin cos he fancied taking it

Seriously though will all depend on what team Sunderland put out bearing in mind they had 20 mins less playing time on Saturday

1 Like

Let’s hope McGeady’s not playing.

Just heard their manager on the radio. Apparently they’re giving Watmore and Cattermole starts, but have three or four other players injured. He said it will be a similar line-up to last week’s Checkatrade match v Notts County, which was a pretty strong one albeit with Reuter in goal!! Real shame Cookie is suspended, big blow.

1 Like

Another missed opportunity to wear the “PSG” away kit?

4-4-2?

5 Likes

How many saddlers have made the long journey?