Sunderland (H) F.A. Cup 2nd round, 1st Dec 3pm

Least mobile of the three midfielders. Gave the ball away trying a fancy flick in the last few minutes after we’d been defending for 10 minutes.

Made some good tackles but only the ones where Dobson and Kinsella weren’t doing all his running for him.

1 Like

Well, I can only go by the Radio Newcastle commentary.

1 Like

Osbourne seemed to do well from watching it.

1 Like

???
I’m agreeing with you. I fully understand why you don’t want to be mistaken for him.

First half was so-so but that was brilliant second half, every one of the 10 outfield put a shift on and Cook was unplayable. He obviously needs pace either side of him if he plays the lone striker role.

I like the 4-3-3 and it worked very well second half so something to build on. Leahy and particularly Devlin had excellent games aswell, hardly saw McGeady after half time.

Yeah was surprised it was as low as 3k, just looked a normal league on Saturday 3pm attendance.

Sunderland didn’t even sell out behind the goal, no-one but ball boys sitting in the community stand.

FA cup just isn’t magic when you play other league 1 teams.

Only one poster on this site calls teams roverum and Bradfurt. :wink:

As I suspected Cook is a Newcastle fan (according to WM).

Played like a man possessed today. I’ve had a few barbs at him this season but play like that on a regular basis and he’ll make a good career in league one for himself.

1 Like

Osbourne put a great dirty shift in today he broke up many Sunderland attack’s stopped them from playing there football and walsall where the better team all game Conor Johnson also had a very good game we should be looking to buy him in January only 20 will be a good acquisition our game management today was lots better

Thought we were fantastic today. I’ll admit for formation and lineup worried me at 2pm but Deano proven me wrong. Hopefully we go with that in the future. Onto the replay (as long as it is on TV as I’ve ran out of holiday at work)!

He has shut them up who said ‘lets see what he does now he knows their strengths and weaknesses’. In deano we trust.

5 Likes

It’s a shame Cook won’t be available for the replay. If I’m correct in thinking, he got booked in the first round, and then booked again today, which means a 1 match suspension for the competition.

How did Johnson play?

Very well. Obviously Fitzwater being out of the squad means he’s going back in January so imagine we’ll see more of Johnson from now on and it will be an easy loan to extend.

1 Like

All the boys put a shift in today .a good shape to the team and all worked tirelessly when not in possession.( even Ferrier) . Devlin ,Leahy and cook all get a special mention for me . Deano got it spot on UTS

1 Like

Would maybe have brought ronan on for last 10 mins in place of osbourne but that apart I think Keates did well with his tactics and can be proud of his men :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:UTS

Excellent performance today. Thought we looked generally solid throughout, and, as others have alluded to, the first half stats were misleading in that it was pretty even. Second half we dominated, with Sunderland remaining a threat on the break with their quality forward players.

Cook, was outstanding as was Kinsella. Shout out to Devlin as well, who generally did well against McGeady in one on one situations and (I think) provided the assist for Cook’s excellent finish.

Great to see Joe Edwards back on the bench - it’ll be interesting to see what position Keates deploys Edwards in. In today’s formation you would imagine he’d replace Osbourne in the midfield three, but in our usual 442 where does he fit in?

His return could be the catalyst for us to switch permanently to this 433…

We should of won the game today !! i thought Andy cook was immense today and it was great to see Joe edwards on the bench In Deano we trust UTS

In the first half I thought that Sunderland were definitely the stronger and I was not optimistic at half time, but the 2nd half was really enjoyable. I thought Andy Cook was magnificent winning virtually everything in the air as well as scoring and hitting the woodwork, He also did a sterling job in defence at set plays. If he is suspended for the replay as mentioned above then that is a real blow.
Was very disappointed with Ferrier missing that one on one - he really should have scored. I wonder whether he would have slotted it away earlier in the season,
As to the attendance it was very disappointing considering the reduced prices, still I enjoyed my trip down,

Just watching our next cup opponents…Keates’ old mob.
Their ground looks a damned sight smarter than when I last went.
They even got one of them big cantilever thingies.
How do they do it ?