L 2-0 vs Swindon Town (A) - League Two - Sat 16th Sept, 3pm

This weekend we are off to the South West of England to take on Swindon Town who just so happen to be managed by our former manager, Michael Flynn!

Flynn has his new team sitting 5th in League Two with three victories and three draws from their six league fixtures so far. Interestingly, if they had won their abandoned game at the start of the season, they would now find themselves top of the league on goal difference…

Unbeaten so far in League Two, Messrs Flynn and Hatswell aren’t likely to want to take their first loss at the hands of their previous employers.

A number of The Robins’ players have played for The Saddlers over the past few years, whether on trial, loan or permanently, with Reece Devine, Tyrese Shade and Tom Brewitt in their ranks. Of course, one Swindon player known to every single Walsall fan, I would imagine, is combative midfielder Liam Kinsella who up until this season had spent every single year of his professional career at WS1.

Kinsella has made 4 appearances for his new employers this season in the league, mainly from the bench, collecting 1 yellow card. He didn’t make an appearance in the squad last time out, but should he be available to play in this fixture I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting. I’m sure the Saddlers faithful will give him a warm reception should they get the opportunity.

Swindon Town’s fixtures and results so far this season below:

Onto The Saddlers now, and Mat Sadler’s team find themselves just 4 points off the top of the table, after an almost remarkable away win against Salford City last time out. Remarkable because we hadn’t won an away game since Boxing Day 2022, ironically away at our hosts in this fixture, Swindon Town!.

Danny Johnson has been on the bench for the last two games, and both have resulted in a victory for us, so I guess in theory it is hard to argue for him to be starting at the moment, but do we believe that this is just a tactical decision, or could there be more to it?

One person that certainly won’t be involved in this squad, or any others moving forward is Chris Hussey. The summer signing from Stockport County announced his retirement earlier this week, in what is very strange timing, leaving us quite short at the back as it stands.

Talking of defenders, Stoke City loanee, David Okagbue wasn’t at his best in the first half against Salford, whilst Rollin Menayese is still not fit enough for the team following his injury. With his in mind, Taylor Allen will certainly need to maintain the form he has shown in our last two fixtures, otherwise we may find ourselves struggling at the back if Sadler continues to play 3-5-2.

Midfielders Ryan Stirk and Oisin McEntee appear to be building up a good rapport which could flourish as the season goes on, with the latter starting to add goals to his game, which could become a game changer for us.

In the forward positions, Freddie Draper must be guaranteed to start games at the moment after his recent spell of form, so that leaves one position for Aramide Oteh, Jamille Matt, Douglas James-Taylor and Danny Johnson to take to partner him. Who gets your vote?
Who would be in your starting XI for the game? Let us know.

If you’re going to the game, enjoy it, and brings us the three points back home. Two away wins in two weeks, can we do it?

A promising start all things considered, 4 points off top spot and simmering nicely.

Come on you Reds!

Swindon Town vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Swindon Town Win
  • Draw
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

1 Like

Quality preview.

Really wish I was going to this game, pretty exciting prospect. I feel Oteh deserves a start and supported by Knowles and Gordon either side could produce plenty of chances.

The problem is the amount of goals Swindon can score and they are scoring them against possibly better defences on paper than ours. A 442 would be really unexpected and provide a strong defence option but we would lose the effect of GORDON on the wing unless he overlapped well.

The other problem is MF who is a good manager and knows our players capabilities and limitations. Could rip us apart and on some level has done better since being sacked by signing for Swindon, not only due to performance but as status its a step up.

Id have a 442 -

Evans

Gordon - Overlapping with Oteh cutting inside and Stirk covering.
Daniels
McEntee - instructions to attack like Sheffield Utd used to on occasion. Will probably score…
Foulkes

Oteh
Stirk (as a ball winning role in midfield)
Tierney
Knowles

Draper
DJ - Bringing on Matt if DJ is ineffective

No place for Hutchinson so ive ripped out our creativity to be slightly more cautious in defence to counter Swindons threat. Also feel there is so much pace in the attack in my squad that it would be a shock and unexpected by MF.

4-5 Victory to the Saddlers… Hatrick for DJ, and goals for McEntee and Knowles.

1 Like

Be happy with a draw here if i am honest,can see there being plenty of goals the way both teams are playing.
Lets just keep the points totting up whether it be 1pt or 3pts.

1 Like

What’s the news on DD following his substitution at Salford?

1 Like

I have gone for the draw which would be a good result. 2-2

2 Likes

Anything other than a loss would be excellent.

If DD is missing and with Gordon possibly jet-lagged, we may struggle to put out a decent defence. If those two are missing, I would go for a back 4 with McEntee filling in.

I would play Johnson alongside Draper for this one.

They are way to good going forward and will score goals.
I don’t think we can outscore them
Swindon 4 Walsall 1
If daniels is out it could be Swindon 5 or 6 if they are on form

1 Like

Hopefully Kinsella starts.

If he does … 2-1 win for us. If not … 2-1 to them.

A mouthwatering tie as far as I’m concerned.
Swindon scoring lots of goals, Walsall making progress and we go up against our previous manager.

1 Like

Both teams can score goals … so I’m going for a bore draw.

1 Like

Surely if your ever gonna lump on 4-2 result either way this is the one? :smile:

I said that about Wrexham when it was 2-1, but didn’t take my own advice.

In a nutshell, think they will be FAR too strong for us on the day, and of course Sadler will play Matt up front (it’s the unwritten law) and he will have to be subbed ‘again’, after being useless ‘again’.
4-1 to Swindon.

It feels like a tough one this, and if we get the first half wrong as badly as at Salford it could be game over before half time.

Not sure if Daniels or Gordon will play, they will obviously make a big difference if they do.

I’d take a point which will leave us nicely placed and having played 5 out of 8 away from home. A win and it could be dizzy heights for us.

Given that 2 of our best 11 are potentially out in Daniels and Gordon, the fact that they’re both defenders and the goal scoring form that they’re in, I’d take a point away from home all day. However, as good as they have been, they’re not going to be scoring 4 and 5 every week so hopefully this will be the week the goals dry up for them.

Over 450 sold as of yesterday which I imagine will be over 500 by the time they go off sale tomorrow. Hopefully another 700ish strong like Salford for this one. A very decent following again considering the distance, back to back away games again and the price Swindon have slapped on tickets.

2 Likes

1-1 draw 550 Saddlers

Swindon are clearly vulnerable at the back & we have to exploit that fact, any poor mistakes and they’re the sort of team that will punish you. Evans MOM for me

Feel like this is going to a cracking game, the incentive for us is that if we win, we could be in the top 5 come 16:45 (might be after 5 with injury time :smile:) on Saturday and after the start we had, that would be some achievement.

1 Like

Exploit hutton down our left hand side (particularly if Gordon is playing), he’s good going forward but not at defending

Im less optimistic about this one sadly so will offer up a 4-2 defeat.