Team for next season

With the upturn in form which has seen us pull away from the relegation zone, its looking extremely likely that we’ll be playing in League 2 again next season.

So of the current squad, who would you keep/release for next season

In contract for next season:

Hayden White
Manny Monthe
Rollin Meneyese
Liam Kinsella
Joss Labadie
Brendan Kiernan
Jack Earing
Devante Rodney
Conor Wilkinson

Out of contract in the summer:

Jack Rose
Donervan Daniels
Mat Sadler
Tom Leak
Stephen Ward
Zak Mills
Joe Foulkes
Joe Willis
Sam Perry
Emmanuel Osadebe
Rory Holden
Lee Tomlin

Players returning to patent clubs:

Carl Rushworth
Reece Devine
Tyreese Shade
George Miller

I would keep daniels and oss and all the loan players if possible

Only Shade if we can get him permanently for me.

1 Like

Keep Perry, Leak, Tomlin, Oss, Daniels

2 Likes

Keep
Daniels
Leak
Foulkes
Perry
Give Holden/ Tomlin pre season to see fitness

Try and retain all the loan players
I’d like to try sign devine and miller
Keep shade if cheap recent upturn is good and he is young but for 3/4 of the season he has been abysmal

Release all the others
Sell labadie if possible

Assuming the squad size to be more or less the same size.

Keep all contracted players.

Do not offer a new contract to:

Sadler (as a player)
Ward
Mills
Leak
Holden
Perry

Offer contracts to:

Rose
Shade
Miller
Daniels
Willis
Oss
Foulkes
Tomlin

Try to get Devine on a season long loan

Sign 3-4 new players, one of whom has to be a goalie.

Agree with that list plus Foulkes. I would like to see a bigger and stronger number 9 added as well as a couple of wing backs to give us sufficient depth.

1 Like

I’d like to think we’d give Holden a chance, he may indeed now be another Cuvellier, but he may also still have a good career ahead of him and I’d imagine he’d learn a lot from Tomlin and working under Flynn.

Imperative we sign Ossa and Shade.

If I heard myself saying that a few months ago, i would have thought i was completley insane.

Just shows how important man management skills and tactical nouse play a part.

Flynn has made an incredible start and impression.

I havent enjoyed watching us this much for years.

UTS.

9 Likes

Shade in particular was poorly managed by Taylor. Quite clearly a confidence player. He was poor in the first 20mins last night and couldn’t beat the full back. Flynn spotted this and swapped him and Osadebe over. After that he was a different player. Taylor would never have made that change, instead he would have been subbed on 60mins and replaced like for like.

At times last night he was unplayable and if managed correctly will be a huge asset

1 Like

If Holden is fit, we should keep him for a while at least to see if he can play. Players do come back from injury and, if fit, he is better than most we are likely to sign.

I would keep Rose. He may wish to leave but I am not sure who would go for him with such little experience.

Willis and Foulkes - there is little evidence on which to base a decision.

Of the loanees, Shade is the most interesting. It would be great to have him. I have forgotten if he is out of contract at Leicester. If not, we would have to pay.

When they signed last April it was reported that
“Walsall midfielders Emmanuel Osadebe and Sam Perry have signed new undisclosed-length contracts.”

Are we sure Perry is out of contract?
Also, someone said that the club had an option to extend Osadebe’s contract. Is this true?

Personally I would offload , Leak , Menayese if possible , Kiernan , Mills and Ward.

1 Like

This is where it mentions the option of a further year…

Osadebe pens new Saddlers deal - News - Walsall FC.

1 Like

Offer new contracts to Leak, Foulkes, Perry and Daniels. Holden and Tomlin if their fitness is deemed satisfactory. Osadebe maybe, if he continues to show good form and it looks as though it isn’t just a flash in the pan.
Of the loans, Rushworth is unlikely, but make offers to Shade and Miller, depending of course on whether JF and MF think there are better options out there. Devine I’m not sure about, hopefully he can get fit and have a run in the team before seasons end. Again, JF and MF might think there is better available elsewhere.

I would try to avoid too much change in the summer.

In contract for next season:
Hayden White
Manny Monthe
Rollin Meneyese
Liam Kinsella
Joss Labadie
Brendan Kiernan
Jack Earing
Sam Perry
Emmanuel Osadebe
Devante Rodney
Conor Wilkinson

I would -

Out of contract in the summer:
Jack Rose - offer new contract
Donervan Daniels - offer new contract
Mat Sadler - only coaches now anyway
Tom Leak - offer new contract
Stephen Ward - release
Zak Mills - release
Joe Foulkes - offer new contract
Joe Willis - offer new contract
Rory Holden - offer new contract (offer him low level wage to prove fitness. too good a player to dump and feel we should continue to support him as much as we can).
Lee Tomlin - undecided

Players returning to patent clubs:

Carl Rushworth - would love to extend loan but highly unlikely. sign another top young keeper on loan for season.
Reece Devine - isn’t he out of contract in the summer? sign on permanent contract.
Tyreese Shade - same as Rushworth.
George Miller - sign on permanent contract. confident with Miller, Rodney and Wilkinson, we will have options and a genuine goal threat.

Add to that 2/3 quality established signings and a couple of first year pros. With Flynn at the helm, this should be a very strong group of players at this level.

Good post.I agree with all your suggestions but most of all think we don’t want wholesale changes.We have a core of players who will do well under this management. As I posted earlier add to that list a big lad up front and a couple who can play wing back then I think we have a good enough squad to challenge at the top.
As for first year professionals I think only Maher is in that category as most of the youth team are only first year apprentices but we may know more about that when the new Head of the Academy is appointed later this week.

1 Like

Agreed, Maher looks a prospect. Isn’t Sawyers a second year YT? He will be offered a pro contract 100%.

1 Like

Is this something Walsall fans want?

I’d rather have our own keeper, who may be not as good, but at least we get the benefit of developing him.

I would definitely be in favour of another long term loan. This approach has worked to great effect for a number of teams at our level in the past. However, the player must be significantly better than one we would be able to sign on a permanent basis.

2 Likes