The Liam Kinsella Thread

What is? :joy: So were many players playing at a higher level, that also didnā€™t manage to drag us into the top 7 on their own. But apparently we must judge Kinsella by that and only that (and not being our best player for the last few years, and solid to great performances on a weekly basis).

Nope, youā€™re just ignorant to what I and others are saying.

Iā€™ll boil it down for you.

You think Kinsella is a great player at this level, and would be in a successful side in this league.

I (and others) donā€™t. I think heā€™s been one of our better performers in the context of an incredibly low bar and never finishing in the top half in the last what? 5/6 years? I think we need better players (note the plural) to finish in the top 7. One of those players needs to be the DM/holding player in my opinion.

There you go.

Itā€™s not difficult.

Nope, I know perfectly well what you are saying. And so does everyone else here. You clarify it in your ā€œIā€™m just sayingā€ way on an almost weekly basis whenever he plays well again.

Itā€™s not my fault you canā€™t handle that I donā€™t agree :man_shrugging:

Yeah, I donā€™t agree either.

Whatā€™s your point ? :man_shrugging:t2::joy:

ā€¦ that I understand perfectly well what you are trying to say? I ā€¦ thought that was pretty obvious from my post, no?

You havenā€™t explained why my points above are wrong.

(In your opinion).

Do you think Kinsella would be a performer in a side (us) finishing in the top 7? If so, why?

Pre-Counter: we have never finished in the top half of any league with him in midfield. We have terrible possession stats (which correlates with league position). Why hasnā€™t a better side picked him up? There is no evidence therefore of him being able to play in a side in the top 7.

Do you think we canā€™t do any better than him? I think we can. I donā€™t know why itā€™s so controversial.

Can we really do better than him when weā€™re paying peanuts?

Thatā€™s the arguments here.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because I never said you are wrong. See thatā€™s the difference between you and me, I donā€™t write off opinion as being right or wrong.

I donā€™t see why not. I think heā€™s an exceptional DM for this level of football.

Eurghh this one again on the rotation of ā€œyeah, butsā€. Iā€™ve no idea. Why did it take years for a team to pick up Walker? How come Sam Hoskins is still at Northants? Over 250 appearances and top scorer in the league from Attacking Mid? Why is Danny Johnson on loan to a league two rival for 6 months?

Why is loyalty a bad thing these days?

Well obviously we can :joy: Iā€™m not arguing heā€™s the best midfielder in European football FFS :joy:

Despite there being no evidence of this?

No evidence?! :joy: :joy: :joy: I watch the evidence on a weekly basis mate. Have done for years.

Thereā€™s no evidence of him being an ā€˜exceptionalā€™ player at this level.

Not when you ignore every good performance, no. And so, we go back to, with a neat little bow:

I think it is a hard sell to say he canā€™t be in a top 7 side in this division. Had the recruitment of strikers been better I think we would be in the top 7 right now. DJ obviously good enough, the rest are not from what I have seen. I expected more from Williams but looks like at this stage of his career he wonā€™t contribute enough.

I donā€™t know much about Riley but a lot seem to think he is a good player, I assume he was signed to play midfield so who knows where that would have left Kinsella if he had been fit. We also havenā€™t had Jack Earing fully fit for very long at all.

When the team is set up right, Kinsella seems to come into his own. Hutchinson and Maddox were both making forward runs the other night and can both pick a pass. Kinsella was excellent in his role. You definitely donā€™t need another DM playing in that formation and it possibly/probably stifled him and the team having another DM who canā€™t pick a pass or make a forward run next to him.

6 Likes

Would it be fair to say that Kinsella isnā€™t in a position on a football field that gives him the opportunity to change a game.For example weā€™ve had poor squads for a number of years as you rightly point out, so if Kinsella played behind the striker and had the opportunity to set goals up or if Kinsella was a striker and were able to score 15 goals weā€™d have finished higher up the table.What Iā€™m basically saying is when your in the middle of a crock of poop team and your game is to break play up and set the team off attacking is it his fault that when heā€™s done that the others were that crap that more often than not nothing came of it so itā€™s slightly unfair to say heā€™s not ended up in a top half side.

2 Likes

Yeah I got that pal. My point is that we have only rarely played like this - and the only two real times we have been like this, this season, has been against Harrogate and Hartlepool.

I do find this argument about Kinsella quite irrational. We have a player who gives 100% every game, irrespective of the opposition. During what has been a hugely disappointing last few seasons, he more than any other player has consistently performed and this has been widely recognised by players and managers (both ours and the opposition), supporters and sports reporters.

The above statement is incredibly moot, because until we assemble a team with better players whose performances are as consistent as Kinsellaā€™s weā€™re never going to know.

I mean could any of us say that if we had Nā€™golo KantĆØ or Kalvin Phillips playing in the same Walsall teams over the last few seasons, in place of Kinsella, we would have fared any better.

It needs eleven players to step up to the plate and to single out Kinsella as the weak link is bizarre.

Couldnā€™t agree more and Iā€™d find it incredible anyone could argue this point.

8 Likes

Who has done that?

Does screaming THIS MIDFIELD DOES NOT WORK!!! accompanied with the multitude of Kinsella essays every time we concede a goal (regardless of blame) not constitute that? :joy:

1 Like

It hasnā€™t has it ?

I still say that Bradford away was our best team performance this season, Iā€™m still not quite sure how we managed not to win that game. Missed a pen and countless chances, and stood ball watching for Cook to score.

I didnā€™t think we were that bad v Stevenage or Grimsby at home either. The Stevenage game, in particular, was pretty damaging I think and had we held on we would have had more than just the extra two points from that game on the board now. Football is a strange game and there are a lot of factors that decide things, especially in a division like ours where the difference in teamsā€™ ability isnā€™t that great.

To do better you have to spend some money I reckon. Iā€™d say Riley was possibly our attempt to bring in more quality, it is a shame we havenā€™t seen him yet and not sure when we will either.

3 Likes