The Liam Kinsella Thread

I took issue with claiming since he took over from Chambers that it’s been ‘successful’ or he has been. How?

It’s been the opposite of successful. It’s been absolutely abysmal.

1 Like

Watch this longer version of the goal yesterday.

Kinsella let’s his man go and doesn’t track him.

https://twitter.com/trfceveryday/status/1573741025620795393?s=46&t=bGHqmusTha5cZnUGLH8GQg

Isn’t this what he’s supposed to stop?

Of course, before people state the obvious - Comley and Evans are also at fault. But the video above clearly shows Kinsella is also at fault. Thoughts ?

Hang on , Kinsella gets back and gets goal side. The player then lays its off to an unmarked runner?

Am I missing something.

1 Like

Not his fault but 20/21 was BCD from start to finish.

I assume not everyone who voted watched every single game on Ifollow so they probably looked as him as long server, decent attitude, starts most weeks and concluded he was best of a very bad bunch given how poor the run was under Dutton for 2-3 months.

All I can remember from him that season was getting sent off at Stevenage!

I mean, he loses his man but gets back inside him, but the truly appalling play is from Comley, a player who’s trotting back despite not being involved on Tuesday or for the first hour yesterday.

Not great and he’s contributed to the goal being scored after an unforgivable spill from the keeper, but doesn’t discredit the numerous instances in that game he’s stopped attacks, took the ball off creative players, made important clearances, all of which prevented similar attacks.

2 Likes

Chambers was miles above Kins as a defensive midfielder so don’t really get that comparison, infact Chambers from Jan 2013 was a masterclass in defensive play right up to end of 2015-16 season.

As said above Kins is more of a pressing 8 type but that’s the trouble when you compare him to Joe Edwards who could do that AND still chip in with 5-7 a season.

I also preferred guys like Michael Cain (strictly on the pitch) and Dobson aswell tbh.

1 Like

I will answer your question, but I note that you do not answer any of mine.

I do not agree that Kinsella let his man go. He was close enough to the Tranmere number 2 to block his path to goal and prevent him from shooting. You cannot expect every player to be marked so tightly that they cannot even receive the ball.

Comley tried to tackle Morris and then left him free and open to receive the pass from the 2.

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s harsh to blame him for the goal. Not genuinely that bothered about the late goal as situation even this early on means 0-0s at home really aren’t good enough and do little for table standing.

Surely more should be expected of Kinsella going forward at least though? In 15/16 he scored a couple of decent goals so he can finish but seems he’s just morphed into someone who’d rather pass sideways 25 yards out than have a shot.

Edit: I was sure he scored at Coventry in Jan 2016 for some reason, one single goal in his pro career! :joy: Last scored in October 2015 despite 150 games since in various positions.

That is not a logical argument. It is a silly debating point that is not worthy of an academic.

You know very well that the success of a team depends on the performance of eleven players, and that it is possible for one of the team to play very well, achieve high standards and be successful in his role, while the rest of the team play badly and lose.

You’re the one who has claimed he has been successful since 18/19 - not me. I just highlighted that his period has coincided with one of our worst ever periods.

And you know as well as I do that there is no contradiction between a player being a success in his position and the team doing badly. It is not a valid argument, since the failure of the team does not prove that Kinsella has been playing badly.

The fact that six managers have made him first choice in that position, that he has been retained every season when the majority of the squad has been let go, the fact that managers keep offering him new contracts, the fact that he was players’ player of the year, and twice supporters’ player of the year, are in my opinion strong arguments for my suggestion that he has been a success in that position.

You ignored those facts, made no response to them, but instead came up with an invalid and illogical debating point.

2 Likes

Are you going to explain why yesterdays goal was his fault? You’ve had a number of responses.

I am with you and the laundryman on this.Used correctly as our holding/tackling midfielder he is going to be in the team. He played ok yesterday and covered yards in the first half to block a move no one else saw yet I see he cannot read the game!!! He is a good player as long as he is not expected to do any more than tackle, block and disrupt which are vital attributes in any team.

Just thought I’d post this to back up my argument on the goal. Below is Kinsella touch tight to the player with the ball, Comley is clearly at fault for not tracking his man.

Kinsella’s the only bloke anywhere near a Tranmere player.

1 Like

Pointless debate really, if we are to progress it will be without Kinsella, we have languished for 5 years and are looking like doing so again at present. The biggest concern should be the fact that when we do replace him it should be for a better player and our current recruitment standards means we will end us the Wish version of Kinsella! In fact we should probably keep him just on that basis alone!

3 Likes

Not mentioning the goal and who was to blame. Issue is since kinsella taken over main midfield role we havent had a midfield that we can be proud off. He does run around but hes unpreductive very standard and always looks for the easy ball sideways or backwards. We are never going to get promoted with him in tge team sorry but its true. Lets be real reason he got player of the season is was because he was commited to walsall fc but thats all not his ability

Flynn blamed both Kinsella and Comley, his is the only opinion that counts.

People need a scapegoat. It’s a shame it has to be one who actually always gives his all, whenever called upon.

Maybe we should have a team full of tw*ts again and see where that gets us.

It’s splitting hairs, because there were a catalogue of errors that lead to the goal.

You are being a bit blinkered though, rewind that clip a few seconds and you’ll see man completely ghost off Kinsella and allow an easy pass to played into him. That error is then compounded by Comley not tracking back and then a poor save by Evans.

As usual with a Walsall team it’s collectively poor and reactive all-round.

1 Like