The Liam Kinsella Thread

Darryl Clarke gave Kinsella a new contract in January 2021 at a time when he was still hoping to take us into League One. Unfortunately he left and took Port Vale there instead.

1 Like

Iā€™ve explained the logical position both in terms of tactics, formations, league positions, and current predicament - many times before bringing yesterdays errors to the fore.

At a time when many fans were not arsed to see the back of him, letā€™s not rewrite history from our perspective.

1 Like

Come on - many were happy to see Clarke gone.

I could use a similar logic and say well, if heā€™s that good why hasnā€™t anyone tried to temp him away?

Iā€™m basing my opinion off what I see on the pitch.

Rarely a great endorsement for a Walsall player.

1 Like

Itā€™s what our fans do best.

Bakayoko, Morris, even Devante Rodney are now class. Whitney was a great manager etc etc

5 Likes

Neither love or hate (I try to not mix emotions into discussion). He has some pluses (he has 100% health, rare things for many footballers or can tackle players when no one else would do) and some minuses (controlling game skill for example). The best midfield line Iā€™ve seen was without him (Chambers-Evans-Sawyers), but times have changed and probably he is part of it now. Recruitment was piss-poor? Nah, only scouting falters. In the dark room itā€™s hard to find a black cat.

1 Like

He doesnā€™t want to leave. Quite happy where he is.

Think heā€™s actually decent, and an important part of this squad.

1 Like

I donā€™t like threads like this as it could drive a wedge between the player and fans. Imagine if you were the player hearing about these comments. Letā€™s be happy we had a good performance yesterday and he played his part in it. Letā€™s not alienate more players who then leave and we look back and wish they were still here.

5 Likes

Agreed. And in 10 yearsā€™ time, we will look back and be asking why the midfielders could not be as good as Kinsella.

One thing I noticed last night was how good his rapport is with the officials, a sort of anti-Labadie. For a player who puts himself about the way he does, his disciplinary record is very good.

9 Likes

He was excellent last night.Perhaps playing him alongside Comley does make for confusion. He knew his role last night and played it well.

16 Likes

Itā€™s been obvious for a long time.

Liam was a key part of a decent performance last night, and it certainly showed that him and Comley should not be paired (tbf I think Comley was brought it as back up to Liam, but injuries to Riley and Earing meant heā€™s had to play alonside him).

One thing I do find amusing thoughā€¦

Liam Bennett - Energetic, tireless, brave, covers so much ground, and would head a brick wall - gets universal acclaim.

Liam Kinsella, erm, energetic, tireless, brave, covers so much ground, and would head a brick wall - gets panned.

Go figure.

13 Likes

I think the difference is that Bennett is both a good defensive and attacking outlet. Kins as we know doesnā€™t have that attacking string to his bow, hence comments from people calling out whether he is good enough for a promotion seeking midfield- despite his obvious work rate and ā€˜rattingā€™ ability.

Iā€™m personally well within the ā€˜loveā€™ side of the camp. He was brilliant last night as he has been pretty consistently. Just donā€™t play Comley next to him!

3 Likes

Not sure Liam has ever been ā€œpannedā€. I think he is universally loved.

The only debate is around whether he is a solid citizen whoā€™s presence should have a huge part in keeping us out of relegation trouble or whether he can be a midfield powerhouse that helps drive a push for promotion.

If our purpose is the former then Iā€™m 100% convinced he should be first name on the sheet. If our purpose is the latter Iā€™m not sure how the jury could be anything other than out. Maybe with better players around him and his role clearly defined then the case for the latter could become stronger.

3 Likes

He most definitely has by some on here.

8 Likes

Very decent League 2 player, i would suggest formation and selection has held us back rather than this one individual.

Easily in the top 3 performers so far this season.

5 Likes

In defence of the thread, it was a) created to prevent match threads being clogged up by a frequently occurring topic, b) is well balanced in opinions that support and criticise the player, and c) discussed purely in terms of footballing ability and in no way vitriolic.

I wouldnā€™t imagine Liam reads UTS, but I donā€™t think this thread would upset him too much. In fact, I suspect he would tackle any difficult posts efficiently then quickly and accurately distribute them from his mind.

9 Likes

He might not read it but friends of his might and tell him. He may not be bothered but we donā€™t really know. I just think he gives his all and we need to consider playerā€™s mental health too.

1 Like

I understand what you mean. Would imagine this is part and parcel of being a professional footballer and that dealing with criticism and praise is something players have to work hard to manage. This is a moderated forum, so the content will be far more friendly and filtered than anything a player would experience from the stands or on Twitter etc, but of course we have a far greater depth of analysis here which has its own issues.

1 Like