The Official Transfer Rumours Thread 2019 summer edition

Personally not to bothered if he goes as for some reason he is always being used as a target man, if he was used in a different way he would rip league 2 up, god knows why he would consider Grimsby tho

George Dobson linked with Barnsley
https://twitter.com/efl_hub/status/1135957706085470209?s=19

Not that bothered if we lose him but not to a team like Grimsby. Would much rather he ends up back in League One.

Some ask why would he go to Grimsby though, well, a couple of reasons. Former club so may have an affinity anyway there, plus it’s a little closer to home and if the rumours are to be believed, that could be a big pull.

2 Likes

I like him but, if they paid us a good fee, I would move on.

3 Likes

There is no way we should let Cook go to another league 2 club.It would definitely come back and bite us on the bum.He will score a shed load of goals in league 2.Much as some people don’t like him,he will be an asset for us next season for sure.It won’t be easy to replace his goals.

1 Like

I wouldn’t shed too many tears if Dobson went.

2 Likes

With the fact that Dobson still has 2 years on his contract to run we can at least demand a better fee.

Really can’t see Grimsby Stumping up at least 200k for Cook to be honest. I’m sure clubs in league one will be circling like vultures in readiness of a swoop !

3 Likes

I doubt Dobson has a future under DC. It really looks like a complete new broom. It’s a shame but aside from the fact that he seems a nice lad and decent pro, he just hasn’t kicked on from the survival scenario of 17/18 in the manner that I think he had to. Irrespective of the positional nuances of modern football, I still find it shocking that he didn’t score a single goal in 40 odd appearances last season. If DC sees Sinclair and Kinsella (I wonder what’s happening there?) as the ones who will be doing the ugly stuff, surely he will be looking to bring in a creative/goal-scoring midfielder, so I just don’t see where Dobson fits in.

I’ll be sorry to see Cookie go, there’ll be plenty of clubs in for him from Leagues 1 and 2, so we shouldn’t have any problems getting a reasonable fee, getting a striker that guarantees 20 goals plus could prove more difficult.

9 Likes

I’d be gutted to see Dobson leave . With the right coaching he will be a cracking player. As we’ve seen for ourselves just not on a regular basis. Definitely will shine in this league… as for cook I’d be happy to see the back of him for me hes seems to have a chip on his shoulder. Which isn’t great for team morale… although I believe he would easily get 20 goals this season which isn’t going to be easy to replace

3 Likes

Do wonder whether this is Cook’s agent just trying to increase interest whilst his player is away on holiday.

Given the amount of sound bites we hear about football being a short career, I’m surprised by how many players seek a move closer to home during different stages of their careers.

There’s 92 clubs spread across the country, surely it’s an occupational hazard?

1 Like

Dobson is a fine player and we should do our best to keep him. With the 2 signings made we already have the makings of a good first eleven.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if we started the season with an entirely new team. Does’t look as though Devlin and Kinsella are exactly biting DC’s hand off to sign, unlike the two that have signed. Hope they do sign though as the more players we lose that have ability and potential to improve under decent management, the more work we need to do to replace them.

2 Likes

I think Dobson suffered from the absence of Chambers last season, he’s had to play deeper and that’s limited his ability to join the attack, which is his natural game. 40 yard out-balls aren’t his forte, he’s all about being busy and arriving on the edge of the box and building forward momentum. We saw the best of him in games where Kinsella was the deeper ball-winner of the two (Bristol away being an example), so with Sinclair and Kins (hopefully) behind him would give him a great platform to progress in League Two.

4 Likes

Aren’t Grimsby usually battling relegation to non league? I assume they don’t have that big a budget for league 2 either so would be amazed if Cook ends up there, very much a sideways move if that.

If the Barnsley interest is genuine Dobbo would probably walk there. You really couldn’t turn down a Championship club wanting to sign him although he’s not good enough for that level by a long way.

1 Like

Most of us seem to think Cook will score 20/25 goals in League 2. So why on earth would we want him to go?

I get the target man/one dimensional argument that we can have with Cook, but that was under poor/inexperienced management.

Only happy for him to go if we get a proven 4th Division goalscorer in to replace.

3 Likes

Didn’t Dobson get man of the match against them for our ill-fated game on Sky? On that basis, they might go for Zeli Ishmel too :joy:! To complete the link, I’ve always thought Zeli was a poor man’s Adam Hammill. Pretty sure that he had a contract at St. Mirren until the end of the season so surely he could be tempted. I’d rather have Hammill out wide with Chambers, Kinsella, Sinclair and don’t forget Bates than try and force Dobbo into the midfield. On a two year contract, Barnsley should be offering upwards of £250k in my view. We could spend some of that on Tom Nichols and happy days!

1 Like

I absolutely agree with this, in fact I think he deserves to be playing at a higher level and could go on to bigger things. I’d want decent money for him.

Jack Bonham, many people’s choice to be our number 1 given his impressive season at our new best mates Bristol Rovers, has signed for Steve Evans’ Gillingham on a 2 year deal.

Dobson could potentially be a huge player in a league 2, we should do everything we can to keep him.

2 Likes