The Relegation Thread

Every League club charges £20+ for an adult, so absolutely no chance that we’d knock 50% off the prices to attempt to get the attendance up which mire than likely wouldn’t even work.

It would also mean season tickets would have to significantly lower in price, so if they get a few hundred extra interest in the lower prices because let’s be honest, we’ve been letting kids in for free now for nearly 10 years and how much interest does that get in terms of new fans each season? Next to none.

1 Like

Mmm…odd after their chairman said they had been careful this year.

Amazing that they had 296 employees, though.

1 Like

Pay on the day in the upper tier was more £23/24 , Which for me is absurd for the facilities on offer.

That says Colchester owe £30m. How?

2 Likes

Surley it’s impossible for a league 2 club who live within there means, to be in 30 Million debt!!

2 Likes

My question is why some football club are million in debt and survive. Yet like bury might have a small debt yet get closed down. Seem unfair

I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t want to see other FL clubs go into administration. I don’t know why Colchester Utd would be £30 million in debt: I don’t think they’ve splurged on transfers and wages. I hope they survive.

Well, if Colchester go, there is only relegation place. Assuming the games against them were nullified, we, Mansfield and Grimsby all lose 1 point but Southend would lose 3.

They’d see out the season given games left, it’s administration, not liquidation.

Surely more likely to be Oldham, Scunny, or even Mansfield?..or just for sheer comedy value Port Vale :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I’m sure the Colchester Chairman spouted that they had been frugal this season and would be a lot better off for it next season didn’t he saying they had been sensible not taking any EFL loans…

The guys growing on me :joy:

2 Likes

Generally, it’s the main creditor who calls in the administrators. But here, that would be the parent company( if true and it is Colchester.) I wonder if they think they’re probably down anyway, and want to get the punishment as a league club. Without looking ,I think the sanctions are much stricter in non-league. Two divisions down?

That’s because the kids for free you’ve gotta commit to a season ticket. I’m talking about the price on actual matchdays. There’s loads of clubs who charge tickets for less than £20. Villa used to charge £10 in the lower holte on a regular basis and so have Albion many a times.

The problem is clubs can only do 3 or 4 ticket offer’s per season football league rules so we’d either have to charge £10 all season pay on the gate that would be £230 a season. Then we’d have to make a season ticket worth while so £180 .
Stourbridge put there ticket prices out on twitter last week £180 season ticket.
If they charge what they did last season on the gate £11 .
Now it would be nice but surely we can’t sell tickets the same price as stourbridge.
Fact of the matter is football from top to bottom is over priced in my opinion.

1 Like

I disagree @WalsallOne.

As I have stated numerous times elsewhere there are clubs that had crumbling stadiums and struggled to attract 2000 home fans in the 90s, that now sit in new grounds with 10k average home support.

How did they achieve this? Well, they didn’t sit on their hands and expect 5k extra to attend, which seemed to be our approach. A decent football team combined with a good, experienced outreach team, a good marketing team with history of success in a similar industry - 10k average can easily be achieved.

Our problem imo, and the reason I get so frustrated, is we have always inexplicably employed odd people (like school teachers for example) in important positions, with zero success in similar roles at other sporting businesses. Walsall FC has been clueless as a Football Club ever since I started attending and the worst part is, football has never been so popular as it has in the last 20 years. We have gone backwards and its inexcusable. Our rise in the 2000’s should have set us up as a bigger club for decades, but yet again, its all about us not having a clue what we are doing when trying to capitalise. A school teacher was head of marketing / operations at the time, it beggars belief :man_facepalming:

And people wonder why I am weary of the club - continually reading this small-time way of thinking is frustrating, its only because that’s what the bosses pumped into us for so long.

4 Likes

You have some good ideas which I think the club should look at but we didn’t get anywhere near a 10,000+ average when we had a good team in the early 2000s consisting of people like Merson ,Samways ,Corica etc and our home attendance was around 6,000-7,000. Since then the chances of a club like Walsall getting into and staying in the Championship are slight. Don’t get me wrong I would love to see it and I hope we can turn the team around and get climbing the leagues again. We need investment, good management on the pitch and a lot of luck.

1 Like

We would never get 10,000 home fans we need to forget that Aston Villa don’t sell out every week they did most weeks before covid to be fair to them but if Aston Villa get 37,000 vs Fulham for example inc 2,000 away fans Walsall ain’t selling 10,000 on the same weekend because that’s what happens usually we play at home when Villa are at home.
You have to take every club on its own merit’s there’s a number of reasons why Bradford or Rotherham or Chesterfield increased their Gates but just because they did it doesn’t mean we can in the same way if it was that easy everybody would be doing it . Burton Albion for example can’t do anymore to get fans in they’ve tried everything now they have said they will increase the capacity of the ground to put more away fans in because it’s the only way to increase attendances. Crewe are another club their gates will never grow much more than they are I think we fall into those kind of club’s category I’m not saying we can’t increase what they have been around 4,000 but genuinely I think on average we could muster a maximum 6,500 “home” fans and we’d need to be doing extremely well on and off the pitch for that to happen.
My reasoning for this is like I say playing at the same time as Aston Villa 3-4 train stops down the line is obviously not going to help especially when it’s more or less the same price to get in.

1 Like

Well, we will never know now Otis, because we didn’t even try to capitalise off the field when we were doing well and it will be years, maybe not again in my lifetime, that we will be at that level again. We should have be 2-3k better off than we were from that spell. Like I have said above, that is what happens when you have a dull as dishwater school teacher in a pivotal role.

There is some interesting points there, but I don’t put us in the same category as those smaller clubs such as Crewe and Burton, we have proven we can get 8-10k for big games, those clubs cannot. I can’t ever remember Crewe getting a 5 figure gate, we have on multiple occasions. Bonser put a lot of our supporters off, the prices are too high and the walkup procedure is an absolute joke, we also don’t tap into the biggest town population in the UK - this is all what a successful sports business professional would look at. They certainly would’t say ‘well this will never happen so we aren’t going to look into it’ thats the attitiude of the cardboard cut outs that do that role atm

The fact of the matter is, if I didn’t support Walsall, with the daft prices, silly system, lack of atmosphere (you know, all issues for the best part of 30 years) I wouldn’t go. I would sooner go to Rushall where I could enjoy a pint while I watched the game. Its a mess at Walsall and I hold out little to no hope of it improving.

1 Like

I agree, can’t see it being Colchester, more likely that it is Oldham (would serve 'em right shutting the main underused car park to away supporters, meaning that we get parking tickets for daring to park on a normal, ordinary street!).
Talking of ticketing prices, will always remember Morecambe, walk up price…£27 And the buggas can’t even be decent enough to beat Southend!