The Relegation Thread

Today confirmed safety.

Southend will be targeting finishing above Colchester only.

As much as I have huge doubts about Dutton, I certainly won’t begrudge him the winning feeling given he decided to stick around when he could’ve easily gone up the M6 himself.

1 Like

Mods, as an act of hubris, please can you lock this thread?

Thanks.

1 Like

We’re Walsall fans so until it’s mathematically a certainty I don’t think anybody will be celebrating just yet.
Agreed though it would now take a monumental effort to get relegated.

3 Likes

Celebrating avoiding relegation from league 2 . Oh my…

This season must be the warning anyway.

It’s very very similar to when Keates came in imo…reasonably comfortable in mid tble but dropping then Keates didn’t win his first 3-4 games and only stayed up officially in 45th game. Were really struggling to score goals and people were besides themselves saying just playing for 0-0s and 1-1s was the correct approach to get the solid base…worked out well the next season didn’t it despite actually having a decent goalscorer in the team.

Team is continuing to drop in this division so the board got to wake up and make proper decisions regarding manager/head coach/DOF and recruitment in next two months otherwise will be more of the same next season.

Of course. Why wouldn’t we?

Got to take what’s on offer after the season we’ve had I’m sure you like me would rather be higher up the league.

1 Like

53 points for mathematical, but 52 due to goal difference. We won’t be celebrating until certain we are safe, it’s the Walsall way! But probably 3 more points will be enough.

Colchester are actually playing Southend so need to factor that in.

Colchester finish season with Salford, Tranmere and Cheltenham so they’re in massive danger I think if Southend beat them.

Actually got some decent players in their team. Would take Nouble upfront for next season.

I’d hope nobody will be celebrating, especially at the club. Everyone should be embarrassed with how we’ve ended up down here and learn from their mistakes to make sure we’re not here again anytime soon.

4 Likes

Sense of relief more than celebrating for me. Dropping down to the conference would be an absolute disaster, just hope it’s a massive wake up call to Pomlett and Co
That investment is needed before its too late.

3 Likes

For the first time tonight , I think we’re safe , or going to be .

We probably only need a couple of points at most , chances are we’ve already got enough .

And we are battling hard , picking up a few points and in the last two home matches have actually created plenty of chances.

Celebration for me.

When you are in danger of being relegated, which we undoubtedly were, it can only take a few weeks and a few games, and sometimes as in 81and 82 a kick,of a ball, to alter that trajectory. If you go down the best case scenario is it takes a whole season to get promoted back up…and who doesn’t celebrate a promotion???

If you are faced with a threat of relegation and survive that’s as good as anything IMO, its massive, and out of the league is the biggest one of all.

6 Likes

Worth noting, that Division 3N was founded in 1921-22. In 100years, of all the teams that were in that division, only Walsall, Tranmere and Rochdale have never dropped out of the FL. It would be a shame to spoil the record.

4 Likes

I do think we are safe shame we had so many draws could have been different story

No. :laughing:

4 Likes

Well spotted, but Tranmere did go out for a year or two, so just us and Rochdale.

Mentioned this a while back, and got shot down for it

Crewe?

We shouldn’t be celebrating anything worst season in my living memory of 36 years following the club I want to see this sorted out for next season as I’m sure we all do this hasnt been good enough.

1 Like