The three Walsall players you most disliked

He was definitely an arrogant little tosser. Fits in well with our massive neighbors in the m6 Galactica

1 Like

I don’t really hate players and I have to be careful here cos this one may or may not have put some decent performances in. Jamie Lawrence. I just remember one game at Bescot where he spent the whole game literally trying to avoid the ball :grinning: That is my only real memory of him so I am thinking the rest of the games he played for us weren’t great, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I like Matt Richards. Solid player when moved into midfield and always put in a shift. Good attitude too. Really don’t get the hate.

15 Likes

Me, neither.

2 Likes

I mean if we can have loan players how has Samassi Abou not got a mention? 8 games he apparently played and I’d be surprised if he touched the ball on average once a game. So disappointing for a player with his pedigree!

2 Likes

I think the fact we had Taundry and Richards as our center midfield pairing shows how far we progressed over the next few years.

That said, Richards did a decent job and I don’t really recall him being hated or even being one of the boo boys, maybe it has been wiped from my memory.

2 Likes

Mark Robins could and should have made a huge difference for us . He didn’t , he couldn’t be bothered . Missed so many important chances the chubby little shit .

Samways for walking out on us half way through a season when he was the glue holding it all together . That more than anything sent us down.

I never warmed to Ricketts either - clear talent but didn’t strike me as very committed . Looked like he wanted to play the big time Charlie .

1 Like

Decent little footballer Richards . Remember Charlton away when we were bottom of the table , he ran the show and got the winner . Nice left peg . Just part of a very poor team

2 Likes

I can remember arguing the toss with one or two. Phil The Saddler being one of his haters.
I always rated him in what was a pretty poor side at the time, but compared to now! :joy:

I can’t remember if I was posting on here then or not, I had times where I gave it a break. Maybe that is why I don’t remember. Strange really, I mean he wasn’t the best footballer in the world but relative to the squad we had then he was decent enough.

1 Like

Hit the bar at Albion, which might have been his debut, I’m not sure. I suppose if that had gone in his spell could have been different. He was terrible though. Had a stunning girlfriend/wife.

Andy Cook - Petulant unfit cock
Matt Carbon - Stole a wage whilst lying on the treatment table
Andy Petterson - If he’d saved just 1 of those Coventry goals we’d have stayed up

1 Like

I struggle to dislike our players but Keates’ side had probably more than the other 40 odd years combined. Ferrier and Cook being two.

Before the days of social media etc, there was never really much of a reason to dislike a player.

1 Like

I think that’s unfair on Sam ways, if I remember correctly.

He signed for us based on being able to live in Spain and train there but travel across for matches.

At some point, when the pressure was on for Lee, he insisted that Samways travel over and stay so that he could attend training all week. Samways wouldn’t have that, it wasn’t the deal he’d agreed, and that was that.

I don’t blame him in that instance. He was an outstanding player. Possibly the most gifted and effective player we’ve ever had, considering the level we were playing at. Despite the Merson debacle, I wonder if things would have turned out differently if Samways had been handled better

6 Likes

Fair enough if that’s the case . Might be my memory playing tricks .

Disagree about Carbon. Him coming back from injury in 2001/2 season was significant - if Graydon had had him fit, could have been different.

1 Like

Oh he was one of those who folk were waiting for him to make a mistake. Abuse he got sometimes was mad. He was a decent guy on the ball.

Him attempting to tackle was amusing though.

Absolutely, he was a clearly a classy player for us, seem to remember his set pieces being on the dime every week. That debacle killed us just as much as any other.

Seem to remember he was training from Thursdays going back after games. They wanted him back full time and he didn’t want it.

1 Like

But the thread title is “players you most disliked”, nothing to do with the worst. Richards was nowhere near the worst player we’ve had, before or since, but I couldn’t stand him. I was glad when he left. Likes and dislikes aren’t always rational. :crazy_face:

While they played for us

Michael Ricketts
Dean Peer
Byfield - even though he scored THAT goal I could never take to him

After they left us
Anthony Gerrard - doesn’t come across well at all
Roger Boli especially when he turned up at Bournemouth
Martin Butler after his first spell