The three Walsall players you most disliked

I can always forgive a (perceived) lack of ability or consistency to an extent as everyone is human and it’s a game of opinions and we never know what they’re being asked to do

But based on demeanour, body language and work ethic nobody can beat Ricketts Especially one away game at Tranmere was amongst the worst I’d ever seen. Maybe it was my perception of him but can’t imagine his team mates liked him walking around all the time

Had ability lacked application

Ruben Dario Larossa? I think he scored a grand total of one goal. A pre-season friendly against Coventry, he struck the ball towards the OAP stand (an attempt at goal), it went into orbit off the referee’s beach-ball sized buttocks, left a mark on the window of the International Space Station, and a strong wind blew it in the net upon re-entry.

2 Likes

One player not mentioned yet:

Carlos Carniero - close season signing after the DD promotion. A complete powderpuff of a player. He probably looked great in training. Guilty of the worst miss I think I’ve ever seen at Leyton Orient and shipped out not long after.

1 Like

Got a last minute winner for us at Shrewsbury if I recall correctly. Therefore any downside would have to be huge for me to consider him in some of this company.

Was a long time ago mind so I could be wrong. I’m sure I was up the fence when it went in which shows how long ago it was. I’d do meself a mischief if I carried on like that now!

1 Like

Yep remember that winner along with Kitty Lyons trying to drag me off the fence.

2 Likes

Ishy Demontagnac. So much skill so much bad attitude and zero work ethic.

2 Likes

Recently picked up 05/06 first half season highlights dvd off eBay… Forgot how much pace he had… oh what could of been !

Unplayable on his day. Massive waste of talent.

Really? I’d love to know why.

Haven’t seen him since Covid but he was a regular amongst us for years. I quite liked him.

Me too. He wasn’t the world’s greatest player but he was an integral part of a good third division team. I’m not aware of him being anything but a good club servant. Him being in someone’s 3 most disliked players ever is very puzzling to me.

1 Like

Morgan Ferrier
Russell Martin
Franck Moussa

Pleased to see the love for Dale Banton.

Osei Yaw
Gaffney
Bamber

It’s a bit harsh blaming Samways. As I recall, he’d basically retired and was living happily in Spain - but Colin Lee persuaded him to sign for us on a fairly short length contract. It was only ever meant to be for a limited time as Samways was commuting backwards and forwards - and I think it was the pressure of this that got to him. I think Merson going off the rails (yet again) and ending up back in an addiction clinic that was more of a problem.

By sheer coincidence I came across the opening day fixture against Albion on YouTube earlier today. We looked so good that day - our passing and movement was something else - and we had such high hopes for the future! Surely the best ever Walsall team ability wise.

2 Likes

I’d agree. I remember the midweek game against Ipswich. If I remember correctly, we lost 3-1 but some of the football played in that game was the best I’d seen involving a Walsall side. Jim Magilton was superb for Ipswich and the speed of short passing between players in tight areas close to the touchline was incredible, by both sets of players. On the night, the result didn’t matter too much as I was just so proud of how we’d played. I really felt for the first time that with Colin Lee we had the platform to establish ourselves in that division. Oh well… it was good while it lasted.

If you look at the build up play to our third goal (Osborne ran and shot - but it hit the post and Jorge scored the follow up) the pass and move was superb - as was so much of the play that day. We had a genuinely talented midfield with star-name players like Corsica, Samways and Merson - they may well have been on the downward trajectories of their careers, but ability-wise they’re probably one of the best, if not the best combination I’ve seen at Bescot.

Heady days - it really looked like we could go places, and I don’t think it was just the heatstroke!

1 Like

A lot of things conspired against us that season. Losing Samways and Merson was obviously a killer. You mentioned the trio of Osborn, Merson and Samways, when we signed Gary O’Neil gave us some legs in midfield to compliment the ageing quality we had. It was unfortunate that Pompey had a bad injury crisis and recalled him, I feel it would have been very different if he had stayed a while longer.

1 Like

Yes, O’Neill was a wonderful box to box player. As you say, massive loss when he was recalled.

3 Likes

You certainly appear to have an affinity with islands.

2 Likes