Tranmere Rovers (H) - Tue 13th April, 7pm

The end of the EFL regular season is now less than a month away, and we have 6 games remaining in that time. The first of our six remaining games is this Tuesday evening where our opponents are Tranmere Rovers, who currently find themselves 2 points outside the automatic promotion places in 4th place in League Two, headed up by the marmite character of Keith Hill.

The Saddlers have played 19 League Two games since the turn of 2021, and we finally managed to secure just our 2nd win in that time, and 1st under Brian Dutton, by beating the vegan-friendly Forest Green Rovers on Saturday.

Our 2021 record reads as P19 W2 D10 L7 PTS16

Our visitors, Tranmere Rovers find themselves looking for promotion into League One, and their recent form over the last six games has shown that they are susceptible to nerves. Their last six games have brought about the following results:

20th March - Exeter City (h) - Won 2-1
23rd March - Colchester United (a) - Drew 2-2
27th March - Mansfield Town (h) - Drew 1-1
2nd April - Cheltenham Town (a) - Lost 4-0
5th April - Cambridge United (h) - Drew 1-1
10th April - Scunthorpe United (a) - Drew 0-0

Following our win on Saturday I would like to see the same XI start the game especially as it appears to be our strongest XI at this point. Do you agree, or would you like to see changes?

Players to have donned the shirt of both Walsall and Tranmere Rovers includes Kieron Morris, Corey Blackett-Taylor, Andy Cook, Morgan Ferrier and Chris Shuker. I’ll let @TheBostedSlab provide a much more comprehensive list.

As for the result, I personally believe we can go on and win this. Hopefully we have a bit more confidence from our last performance, and with Tranmere having to chase in order to try and nick a spot in the top 3 this game should be fairly open, which I believe will suit us completely.

This is our game in hand on a few of those below us. I think it is safe to say that if we don’t lose we are practically safe and can then turn our attention to next season, and having a much better season!

Walsall vs Tranmere Rovers - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Tranmere Rovers Win

0 voters

With our first win in 15 games in the bag, and the pressure off us i think we will go all out attack and thrash them 1-0 :grin:

4 Likes

Another 2-1 win

Osadebe and Gordon (I know)

To be fair, it is possible to thrash someone 1-0.

1 Like

I’d take a point from this one. Keep the unbeaten run going and almost certainly guarantee L2 football if that’s not already done.
Also it would put us above Mansfield who are my mates team.
Preferably an entertaining 2-2 not a dour 0-0 though.

Back to the draws here, 1-1.

Keiron Morris will score

​Draw will be good too, plus giving some time to younger players. Southend, Grimsby probably won’t win the next 3 or 4 games, so nothing dangerous it seems.

I think it will be another 4-2 for us

3 Likes

The pressure is somewhat off for a win now.
I think we will be much more relaxed for this game providing we can keep the same team that were fielded against FGR.
Holden and Perry have formed an early partnership and were excellent on Saturday.
As posters have said, we don’t need to add a ton of players for next season, but definitely two good strikers that we have to spend some money on.
1-1 draw.

I have forecast a win however we picked up more knocks on Saturday so a lot depends on who is fit.

1 Like

Our record over the last 5 games is better then theirs. Are we favourites?

I hope that we do not relax but keep with the same formation and players as far as possible.

While I am the pessimistic sort that will only think we are safe when we really are, suddenly, we are unbeaten in 5 with the midfield that looks impressive.

Not to mention could do the double over them having probably played our best match of the season against them. Why we didnt have that game has a blueprint only Clarke can explain…

1 Like

4-2 Lump on :wink:

1 Like

2-2 draw.

Hope to be proven wrong and we win this , But as our safety is virtually guaranteed think Tranmere will be more up for this in a tight game 1-2 defeat with Morris obviously scoring the winner.

Also Paul Hall,Bobby Hutchinson,Ned Kelly,JohnManning,Pedro Mattias,Derek Mountfield,one of the
Osbourns,Chuffa Train and Joe Murphy played for both on we.

Additional …won 33, drawn 16, lost 25 .

ie. there for the taking.

Sorry boys, not feeling this as a 4-2, so I wouldn’t lump on. But up to you.

1 Like

You were only half right last time…

1 Like

This is Walsall so, yes, 1 nil does count as a thrashing.

2 Likes

Would this be a good time to introduce David Kelly into the backroom staff? :eyes: