Troy Deeney

I’m predicting that Leicester will win it this season!:wink:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Had me filling up there Troy.

2 Likes

Wasn’t he close to going to West Brom at some stage for 15m? Perhaps a year after the aborted Leicester move.

It’s easy to give him stick but also remember Watford stayed by him when he got sent down in 2012. Could’ve easily sacked him like many clubs did with jailed players in last decade so he has given some loyalty back. Also captain and they’ve played 6/7 seasons in premier league so just one of those things I’m afraid.

Rico is doing well now and who knows what long term gains are in Adebayo deal so those are the ones to keep on watching now.

Deeney didn’t have the chance to talk to Leicester as Watford never accepted a bid for him as the stumbling block was our sell on clause.

Cant remember the exact figures now but but it was something like Leicester bid £25m so after our 20% cut of £5m, Watford would only get £20m…when they wanted £25m AFTER our cut was taken out, thus pushing the price Leicester would have to pay to over £30m at which point it all broke down.

I might be mis-remembering this but I thought I read Deeney has since said that he also spoke to Bonser at some point around then to try to broker a negotiation between us and Watford to either reduce the clause or buy it out?

2 Likes

Confimed on Sky that he has signed for Brum

So, what’s the point of selling Deeney off cheap in the first place because we had a 20% sell on clause? Watford stitched us up: twice! I hope they go down this season.

2 Likes

Happy for him, going to the club he supports :clap:

2 Likes

Maybe after his contract ends, he’ll come back :wink::laughing:

You’re correct Stig. I remember the odious Gary Neville saying that we should forego our legal entitlement to our cut, to facilitate the move of a multi millionaire footballer between two multi million pound clubs.
I’m sure he would have said exactly the same had his precious Salford been involved rather than us. Not!

8 Likes

Heard 500k-1m was offered to buy out the clause but Bonser turned it down expecting more. Not sure on how factual this is though

The same Gary Neville who has bankrolled a non league tinpot outfit who struggle to attract 1500 fans? I hope they stay down again this year.

3 Likes

:rofl: Watford didn’t stitch up anybody why should they sell a player they obviously didn’t want to sell Just so Walsall FC could get some money.
Im just suprised to be honest the sell on clause wasn’t removed and Walsall FC just accepted a million when they could have People moan at a lack of ambition by Bonsor but he obviously didn’t take a quick earner on that one 38 million at one point Deeney was going for to West Ham or Everton then 16 million to West brom Bonsor held out on both occasions financially that must be the worst decision Bonsor has ever made because now we’ve got 20% of sod all .

3 Likes

No different , as I recall , to us hanging on to Buck , because of the sell on fee due to Forrest.

1 Like

Life is like a box of chocolates…

2 Likes

Stupid is, as stupid does!

Can you imagine the uproar if bonsor accepted 500k/1m then deeney was sold for 20m plus? nobody was to know deeney wouldn’t move on. Watford done well to keep him when arsenal came calling

4 Likes

We ended up with what we would have got anyway had he gone for £15m.

Fook all.

2 Likes

No reason for the club to fold and roll over on a legal agreement, is there?

2 Likes

No reason at all.

I was just replying back to someone saying it was the worst decision bonsor ever made. In the circumstances nobody would have accepted the 500k/1m.