Troy Deeney

I was agreeing.

Run Deeney run !

2 Likes

The reason no deal was ever done was because of the clause 20% of 20 million is obviously a lot of money to give away , I’m disappointed it didn’t happen because like I’ve said before I’d have loved seeing how Walsall FC would hide that behind the sofa and say it’s gone into the infrastructure of the club

3 Likes

We would have bought some really good Cypriot players

5 Likes

Indeed.
As much as I despise the leech I don’t blame him for telling Watford to do one.

They got Deeney for less money in the first place due to there being a sell on. To then try to renege on the agreement later to save themselves more money is taking the pee. Greedy barstewards!

6 Likes

Everton didn’t piss and moan when they had to give Barnsley their kickback for Stones’ move to City. Nor did Brentford, when a chunk of the Villa money for Ollie Watkins went to Exeter. Watford got greedy- they were in the wrong, plain and simple. Deeney’s last minute play-off semi-final winner ultimately netted them far more than they’d have had to pay us.

I can’t personally attest to anything Gary Neville may or may not have said regarding Deeney to Leicester and us at the time (never heard or read it firsthand), but the fact that he stood, as Salford part-owner and holding a Sky Sports mic, moaning about greed ruining football earlier this year, sadly dictates how seriously he should be taken in such matters forevermore.

11 Likes

I knew he would end up leaving on a free transfer… thanks for nowt!

1 Like

He’s signed a 2 year contract at Birmingham with their Dodgy Chinese owners hopefully he scores loads of goals and they sell him to West brom :rofl:.

But we wouldn’t have seen the money anyhow

Troy Deeney is a success story. After doing time, he came back and became a charismatic player for Watford and was happy to stay. No one could accuse him of chasing the money and what has he got to do with any deals between Watford and Walsall? I really wish him well and I expect Watford will one day take him back in some capacity.

Louis Theroux interviewed him in a podcast.

8 Likes

Would have loved to have seen how the accounts would have been fiddled for that year when we got the 20 percent and we somehow make £20k profit for that year again !

Yeah and the exact same wage bill the following season and no player’s signed for any kind of transfer fee.

Looking forward to reading his book soon

1 Like

Still watched it and it was brill :grin:

1 Like

Deeney was stuck between a 10-15 million quid striker at one point and that didn’t help his sale. They were never going to get enough to make it worth it there while he was a Prem player, and teams were never gonna pay over that.

Nice bloke, at least the Deeney pipe dream can now be laid to rest :smiley:

All aboard the Rico Henry windfall pipe dream…

8 Likes

I’ll put my tin hat on and say I’m somewhat disappointed to see him go to go to that tinpot club FGR. Will easily get 15 to 20 goals I reckon

He won’t even play that many matches!!!

If he does play, him and Stevens will be a physical force.

We should send Matt back to complete their lightening fast forward line😃

5 Likes

I’m thinking of the Bertschin/ Christie combination, for some reason.