Underwhelmed at squad building

They always do this leave us in the dark no communication with the fans after Clarkes appointment. No statement of intent. We are all left hoping and guessing. ■■■■■ me off.

5 Likes

It’s bonkers , no one has any idea what the club are currently trying to achieve ?

Promotion , mid table stability , survival , develop youth etc etc!

It’s s closed book once again , well that’s unless their advertising over priced friendlys.

4 Likes

Mansfield signed Nicky Maynard. They now have Maynard and Cook.

We cant even compete with them anymore.

Forget Mansfield, they are our betters now for sure.
Port Vale, Macclesfield and Crewe are our rivals now.

I think home to Forest Green is going to be telling in terms of recalibrating our level.

3 Likes

This is where WSFC should come in,and start asking questions,not wait for an annual set piece meeting.WSFC have gone very quiet…:shushing_face:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: can’t compete with Mansfield.

So when’s Dobson going? I don’t believe for one minute that we will keep him.

1 Like

Surely adds more fuel to the fire in that if we would have demanded a higher fee for Cook then they may not have had the finances to do a deal for Maynard :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

I doubt that Radford is a multi millionaire! Can we find a Walsall born one who wants to put something back into the Town? This is getting a bigger problem than ever as football finances are skewed by the ever growing power of the Premier League. There is no future for clubs like Walsall unless owned and loved by people with massive fortunes.

4 Likes

Fortunately, Mike Ashley is busy.

1 Like

Just a thought…

Jeff is aware, isn’t he, that we stopped the league re-election system in 1986 ??

1 Like

For me there’s a bit of confusion.

How can we be aiming to follow a model of “developing” youngsters, if the only youngsters we can sign are turning down more money at a lower level to join us? Are we not at risk of taking players too early, through their eagerness to prove themselves in the league?

Also, if we’re signing players like that on lower money than they could get elsewhere, if they have a decent 6 months or so in our team, they’ll be gone to the first team to come knocking.

It’s not a long-term plan IMO, it’s just a smokescreen for the fact we’re spending less than ever on wages because we’re being strangled by Jeef. We are now regularly being out-bid by non-league teams. I can’t help but feel that’s where we’ll end up unless something changes.

6 Likes

Just making the point that paying low wages cuts two-ways. It’s not just that we pick up poor players, cos we can’t compete, but those that we do pick up, will be out the door quicker than you can say “get that rent paid Gamble you ****” as soon as they start showing any potential.

Players will see us as no more than a stepping stone to a better contract. A temporary bus-stop to keep some money coming in, all whilst their agents are hawking for a better deal elsewhere.

2 Likes

They read it and probably got used to it. Lack of criticism would be similar to snow in middle of July, or scorching heat for New Year. I always leave some room to be surprised, so signings will come. But promotion? That’s totally different story. It will be tough season, no matter who will join. It’s only my guess, but average league level is higher than before. It won’t be next walk in the park in sunny day.

Bang on the money there!

I do get the impression that Jeff has started to have enough of spending money but at the same time hes still happy to take his annual cut.

I do think non league football is a possibility in a few years with how the club continues to fall backwards

That would imply he has ever spent money

2 Likes

Fixed that for you

1 Like

Ermmm, we broke our transfer record on a Cypriot Bar Tender.

Check out the video little old Mansfield have done for the signing of Maynard

The owners do have some money by looks of this.

Wish our owner looked like this

https://twitter.com/upthesaddlers/status/1146023157641428992

1 Like

Bonser apparently tried doing something similar which included his Crypriot Villa, a Helicopter and Andy Makris, but the player was put off after being told he would have had to have paid rent on the helipad.

1 Like

I see Bury players have now all handed their notice in and moving as they aren’t being paid. I cant help but also feel the scouting network of “who has Bury let go” is gonna work out as well as some think either.

Time will tell.

1 Like