Unexpected Saddlers

Very grainy but trust me. Season 7 episode 6 of last of the summer wine, there’s a poster advertising Huddersfield Town Vs Walsall.

Don’t ask me how I remember that!

4 Likes

Was it hi-viz?

2 Likes

remember spotting that one - maybe a reference to the D4 top of the table clash at Leeds Road in April 1980? (I was there!)

I’m pretty sure sure they spelled Walsall wrong didn’t they?

1 Like

Yes. That must be one of the most common spelling mistakes of a place. Along with "Litchfield. "

I have lived in various parts of the UK and abroad over the past 15 years but am yet to meet a fellow Saddler!

My son bumped into the Chambers twins in Selly Oak whilst at uni in Brum. Had a selfie with one of them - thinks it was Adam!

Yes, the episode with the Romanian wine, about transporting via Warsaw

We appeared on Pointless (how ironic). Alan Mullery had to get prof football teams with 7 or less letters. He said Walsall and got down to only 3 … so at least someone has heard of us

Met Owen Evans in a car park in the middle of Newport about an hour after the game the other week, didn’t instantly click who he was haha.

I cheered out loud in the Cinema when Walsall beating Arsenal was mentioned in the film Fever Pitch. Funny thing was there was a bloke a few rows behind me who cheered at the same time.

2 Likes

I did the same in the cinema also got excited reading the book but was on my own then

At Wetherby services a week or so ago, and car wound their windows down to shout “Up the Saddlers” at me! Had this season’s black/green 3rd kit top on…although they were probably as confused as anything by my son having a Consett AFC top on!!

I went to school with the Chambers twins and played in the 6th form team with them. They were a year above me.

We had such strong football teams and a quite a few went on to have professional careers.

I didnt :frowning:

1 Like

Just like PT spelt “series” wrong. :wink:

1 Like

Oh my! 🫢 I’ve been infiltrated by American speak. I did once say “zee” instead of “zed” but this is a new low.

I’ve let you all down, I’ve let the club down, I’ve let my family down but most disappointingly I’ve let myself down.

I’m sorry.

This won’t happen again.

If it does, first and second rounds on me at the annual UTS dinner.

1 Like

No sweat, dude. Can I get a Waldorf Salad and freshly squeezed OJ to-go?

1 Like

We were also mentioned in Michael Palins wonderful series Ripping Yarns.
My memory might be playing tricks on me but I think we were referenced as opposition for Barnstoneworth United.
As an aside, there was another in the RY collection about a man Eric Olthroyd, a fictional character who was presented an award in the form of a spade, for being voted the most boring man in Yorkshire. On Michael Parkinson’s last BBC show, Michael Palin presented Parky with a golden spade for being the second most boring man in Yorkshire.
If you haven’t seen Ripping Yarns please try and watch it- it’s a masterpiece of wonderful, very gentle and eccentric British humour.

2 Likes

Was it not a player who commented “I didn’t come here on a free transfer from Walsall for this”?

2 Likes

Watched em all 10 times over :+1: :wink: