Unexpected Saddlers

So the guy who talked to you was me! Was vacationing in NYC with my family and saw you on the ferry. Actually live in Wisconsin and just celebrated 40 years since moving to the US on August 28th. Both my father and I are life long Saddler fans. My Dad is in North Carolina and has also met another Saddler fan there…

Its a small world…!

10 Likes

It was the manager.

To add another Walsall FC story other than my encounter with a Saddlers fan in New York City. My father as a lifelong fan went home to a Walsall (from North Carolina) and the match he was set to attend was cancelled due to international call-ups. He reached out to then manager Jon Whitney and was invited to the training ground. He had a shirt autographed by the team while at the grounds. Story was on Saddlers website….

He sent me the shirt and I took it to a local business where I live in Appleton, Wisconsin to have it mounted and framed to be hung in our home. When I went to pick it up the lady who owned the shop brought the framed shirt to me and said that she had been waiting to meet the Saddlers fan who brought it in as she was from Lichfield……!

11 Likes

That is so wild mate

Love it

Nice one!
Good to know there’s two Saddlers in NC :blush:

We (the town, not the club) were mentioned in the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches), final paragraph.

Conan Doyle was familiar with Walsall through his investigation of the Great Wyrley horse murders.

1 Like

My girlfriend’s friend came to stay a year or two ago, and told me her cousin was a professional footballer, but when I asked who they said I probably wouldn’t have heard of him.

Tom Bradshaw… think they were surprised that I knew who he was, let alone that he’s been one of our best players in recent times.

I presume ‘flight’ in this case, being 1892, refers to an escape rather than transport by air.

I was staying in Holywell Bay last week on holiday. I popped into Newquay one of the days and spotted ex Saddler Wayne Thomas. I live in Aldridge and do occasionally see him near Druid’s Heath golf course or out running though.

1 Like

Also I remember it was show on the TV night before we won in Cardiff. It was a good omen.